Sign in to follow this  
ReaverKane

New Farming System

New farming system is just plain bad!!

I mean the whole point of leveling farming is to get more crops with less work. Now we have less crops and have to work as well?

I mean lvl 60+ farmers getting 4 crops is JUST BAD!!

I'm all for reinforcing people that rake their fields everyday and such, but seriously, do that by ADDING to the baseline, not cutting down the baseline to add a bonus after, which means people get the same results as previously but with twice the work.

I haven't been farming because it takes HOURS to sow and harvest my field, now you add extra hours of raking?

Why must you always fix what's not broken, every goddamn time.

• Like 19

I've never heard of this farming change. Where did you hear this?

FYI the new farming implementation takes effect today. IE sow today, then do the rest of your business before screaming the Sky is falling.

Edited by Drpox
  • Like 1

Looking in to this a bit, I have found that:

A- The number of tends has been reset upon release of 1.1

B- With 0 tends all farmers now get 2 less crops per harvest than they previously would have.

C- With 1 tend using a 25 ql rake right before harvest, you still get 2 less crops.

This means for a newer player with 23 skill and a rake of 25 ql 0-1 tends gives only 1 crop.  Just enough to reseed.  A higher ql rake and 1 tend may change that, I do not know.  It is too early to have tested 2 tends on that ql rake.

Either way, this is a big nerf in amount of in game time needed to get crops for players of all skill levels, and straight up kills farming for newer players unless they want to dedicate more play time to farming than they already do.

There is one other potential factor people have mentioned.  Seed ql having an effect.  For established farmers this is fine, but if seed ql does have an effect, then again newer players will have an increased difficulty to get crops.

At the moment, the new farming system is making me think of joining a village and selling off my rather large deed I created with the express intent to have some cool looking tiered farming fields.  It's just plain not worth it at low skill level anymore.

• Like 9

you Need to wait a full farming cycle before the new farming takes effect, it seems the "old" farms from pre-update are wrong calculated because the patch "resetted" their yield kinda

I still don´t get why in the hell they keep on ruining the skills that works fine.

There is milking for example, no matter your skill or the ql of the tool (bucket) you get allwasy the same ql (100) and probably (not tested enough) the same amount. so the skill in the end is totally useless and for sure can use a rework, yet they mess with farming, totally destroying it.

If you are bored, there is a forum section named Suggestion & ideas full of some good ideas to improve the game. Here is a suggestion, read the section, try to implement some of those wonderfull ideas, and stop messing with perfectly functional game mechanics.

• Like 13

Thing is farming was nerfed either way.

I'm not talking about tending, i'm talking about the baseline value of harvests was nerfed.

I mean not too long ago it was changed so that newbies would always get at least two items so they could re-sow and still keep something to cook. (i didn't get that privilege though, had to make due with bots and forages before i could get stuff to cook from farming).

Now they reverse that basically.

I mean the whole point of having high farming is that so you don't have to spend hours harvesting so you get decent crops.

But now, you get crap either way.

I mean why reduce the base harvest by 2?

Wouldn't it be better to instead of discouraging people who don't have the luxury of time to farm, just keep the base values and add the bonus 2 items?

I mean instead of a person who doesn't rake getting 4 items at lvl 60, why not a person that does rake getting 8?

Ever heard of positive reinforcement?

Edit: Go Kun!!

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 2

Soo... This is the 'rage' farming change thread... I'm just going to back away slowly now...

• Like 1

Not really a rage thread more like a "Why go negative reinforcement when you could have gone positive?"

Why reduce the minimum harvest when they could just have added a bonus for farming.

I mean its like they actually don't know squat about the game:

1- The game already takes long as hell to get skills to a decent level, and doing any decent project will take hours if not days.

2- People that farm, and rake usually do it with a low ql rake. Which means that now people will be forced to chose between a good harvest (using a high ql rake) or a good skill gain (using a low ql rake). No other skill does this to this extent.

3- Not everyone can be a religiously faithful wurmgoer and login daily. Why should those people have even more grief. Its not like the game is swarming with players.

Its just another stupid call, forcing MORE work on people to get the same results, one would imagine that the whole lamp fiasco would have been a lesson...

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 3

I agree! Stop breaking stuff that doesn't need fixed, and fix stuff that's broken! I STILL had to snuff and then light my lantern when I logged in to get light. O.o   :angry:

• Like 14

Thing is farming was nerfed either way.

I'm not talking about tending, i'm talking about the baseline value of harvests was nerfed.

Edit: Go Kun!!

The ql of the seeds matters. I suspect since most of the fields you are harvesting now were sowed before the update, that the game assume you used a low ql seed. You should wait to see the harvest from the higher ql seed and know how the new system works EXACTLY before complaining about it.

Edited by Serpentarius
  • Like 1

my my my, the sky is falling, the sky is falling. 

maybe we can wait a few days and see how the farming actually works, without fields that are a mix of old and new farming calculations so we get some actual results based on a full crop cycle under the new system before we all start to scream and shout.

• Like 12

I haven't farmed yet, but was it necessary to have a change at all?

probably not, but it wasnt neccesary to add visible armor or multistory houses either.  the farming system was functional, but it was also very basic and had potential for a lot more than it was.

I'm not sure if the changes made add to the potential or take it away, but until i've had time to actually do them fully i'm not going to make a snap decision

• Like 2

I must agree I am very disappointed in how the farming was ruined.  It is difficult enough to get enough food to raise cooking skills to a decent level.  

I also agree when you want to bring out improvements in a game make them improvements not take us backwards.  The cost for premium goes up and the game gets harder to do on farming - doesn't make sense to me. 

• Like 5

I agree! Stop breaking stuff that doesn't need fixed, and fix stuff that's broken! I STILL had to snuff and then light my lantern when I logged in to get light. O.o   :angry:

This man speaks the truth, it's been months now, and my lantern still takes constant damage like it's always lit, along with having to snuff and relight each time..

• Like 4

I am going to withhold my judgement on the new farming system until I try it out for a few days, but had to comment on this:

probably not, but it wasnt neccesary to add visible armor or multistory houses either.  the farming system was functional, but it was also very basic and had potential for a lot more than it was.

I'm not sure if the changes made add to the potential or take it away, but until i've had time to actually do them fully i'm not going to make a snap decision

the one difference here is that visible armor and multistory houses have been requested and wanted for literally years,  I don't remember a huge hue and cry to "fix" the farming system....just saying :)

Edited by Thorin
  • Like 4

maybe we can wait a few days and see how the farming actually works, without fields that are a mix of old and new farming calculations so we get some actual results based on a full crop cycle under the new system before we all start to scream and shout.

Wow GM mocking... Cool.. Maybe instead of mocking you could scrounge up some definite info on the new systems... Maybe do some GM-y things.

Prob is, even with the mixed calculations and whatnot, it is EVIDENT (look it up) that the minimum values (you know the ones people wasted hours to obtain) on harvest were reduced. So yeah, its clear that instead of simply adding a bonus to people that would tend more to their fields (something that already existed, albeit on a very simplistic ways -  but then again why complicate?) the minimum values were nerfed so now people will have to work more to get same values.

And yeah maybe i'm jumping the gun. But you know what? Its my freaking prerogative since i've asked/suggested more concrete information to be divulged as soon as this change was announced.

Code clob doesn't like informing theyr costumers, so can't mock people for being concerned at their freaking innability to improve the game after they squeezed a 60% increase in game prices.

So yeah mock the hell you want, mr "look at me i have a GM tag under my avatar".

• Like 9

cant judge till planting AFTER the update to see if better...anything before then is useless as you are harvesting 'old' cropse which didnt get tended, nor seed ql taken into account...

in fact I want to see the same people complaining next week when they harvest 16 per tile! instead of a max of 10!

Edited by Emane

this is game killer for me 2 crops at 46 skill says game over this update will be known as the day wurm died :angry:

Oh look, GM´s mockering on costumers, just what we need rigth now...

Nice work dude, we should apoint you for the GM of the month title, you are so helpfull.

PD: Irony

• Like 6

I'm not gonna comment on the update in itself yet because I haven't tried it, no one can actually know what happens with crops that are sown today.

Besides that I think farming takes too much effort rather than too little in general, before patch. So, if anything it should be boosted, not nerfed. I also agree that it would have been more produktive to improve milking/chese making or baking cause those skills really need some love.  

Edited by Torgrim
  • Like 1

Emane, let me clear this up:

Yields

the higher the skill the better chance of getting a higher yield at harvest(all levels were tested on cotton fields so it may differ on other crops)

• at 20 skill you will get a guaranteed 3
  • at 23 skill you will get a chance at 4 (12/28/12 on pristine (cotton))
  • at 40 skill you will get a guaranteed 4 (42 for wemp)
  • at 60 skill you will get a guaranteed 6

Tending your crops with a rake can also give you a slight skill boost when harvesting. If you tend your crops twice during their growing cycle you get roughly a 5-6 point boost, so if you were harvesting a tended crop and have 54 skill you will get 6 yield.

This is no longer true.

Those values WERE nerfed. If they weren't even with old crops, bad seeds, and whatever a lvl 60 farmer would still get 6 items.

But these values were cut down (by a value of 2 apparently) which is all i'm saying, it might even be that a lvl 60 farmer that sows a ql 60 seed, and rakes 3 times during the crops life gets 20 items. I don't really care, what i care is that if i don't rake, don't plant ql 60 seeds, i was supposed to get 6 items, which all things point to that i won't.

So yeah, i don't really think that a game progresses by nerfing stuff that is already pretty balanced.

• Like 1

I think the change was MUCH needed. farming has always been too easy and the market is flooded to death with farmed goods. there was never any work in farming as you always got enough to reseed and never had to rake if you didnt want to...now it seems..youll need to rake if you want something to eat...I like the realism. I worked up to the mid 40's in skill without thinking. So if the net.... "as yet unknown" ... yield of the new farming mechanic actually lowers the amount of farmed goods available..then its a great change. adding more to the base yield would have been just ridiculous. Wurm suffers from an overabundance of specific goods as is..so this is a good direction.

• Like 3

And what if all is great after the new system settled in?

Complaining on things you "CANT" know is just stupid.