Sign in to follow this  
Gaeron

Sorcery Documentation

Now that Wurm is not only Live 1.0 but Live 1.1   we need better release documentation from the dev team.

I know there are all the usual "discover it for yourself" arguments which is fine for when new crafting options are added but for what amounts to a new character "class" it is not.

What are the requirements for becoming a sorcerer?

is there a special ceremony/sequence/event?

Are there restrictions on the character for going sorcerer?

Are there new rules the devs have placed on players going into sorcery?

Can a priest be a sorcerer as well?

What sorcery can do even if we may have to work some things out for ourselves.

If I am to give up priesthood on my main toon for sorcery I want be be able to make an informed decision as if I regret it because its not what we've been led to believe then I've a lot of work to recover my position as a priest.

A small number of bullet points in the release change log will not suffice.

• Like 13

I dont see why. Giving everything away ruins half the gameplay. Discover things yourself.

• Like 2

i was under the impression this stuff was for epic exclusively 

• Like 2

epic only
not a class you switch to liek priest
given item on scenario victory by your gawd if you win 'lottery' and completed missions

each item comes with title such as [Witch] [sorceror] of you have multiple (different) items you get diff more advanced titles such as [Demon Queen]

semi cool abilities that use karma and each itam has 3 uses

lottery is like...one 'ticket' for first karma(scenario point?) per scenario. and another 'ticket' each addition 300(?) karma/scen point

--off memory from 1.1 email

Edited by Seviago

I would rather discover it myself. And the sorcery thing will use karma, so prolly just overhaul of karma rewards..? Probably.. probably.. I don't want to be told in details as much as you request. I am a priest here, depriesting is easy, re-priesting just need me to coordinate with the community and wake up every X minutes / hours with wurm assistant. Don't think I will depriest since I enjoy being fo priest and have an alt that do crafting stuffs to do the karma missions tho.

1.1 email? I don't see that... and I won't believe it is epic only as they unlocked karma system to freedom for 'something in 1.1'

Edited by rosedragon

there was a newsletter sent about a month ago talking about upcoming changes...and someone copypaste it to a forum post i think...lemme just find it.

We are now introducing Abilities, a system that makes use of the Karma Points which have been around for a while. You gain Karma Points by consuming the "Source". The Source can be found in Source Fountains, Source Crystals, or by completing the missions on the Epic servers.

You gain an ability as a very rare event. On the Epic Servers, an Ability Item may be handed out as a reward when a Scenario ends, which happens about once per month. On Freedom servers we haven't decided how to distribute them yet, but possibly through treasure hunts.

An Ability Item could be a Tome of Magic, a vial containing smoke from Sol, or a Green Cherry. Each item has three charges and gives the user a special ability. This ability is pretty powerful and could cast a Karma Bolt, set you up for a critical hit, or create a mirror image of yourself. They often have pretty long cooldown and consume quite a bit of Karma so they shouldn't be overpowered.

With every ability comes a title, such as Witch Hunter, Valkyrie or Summoner. If you gain several abilities, this title will change, and eventually you may find yourself called something really special, like Demon Queen or Arch Mage. Eventually we'll add some sort of graphics for them as well.

three people have already recieved these items (though they aren't activated) on EPIC servers. They get them from the gods who win.  Inventor got a red tome, Jamma(?) red tome, and Ghoulio got red cherries.  

reading it again it MAY appear the ability is permanent and the ITEM ABILITY is limited (3charges) and has a different affect.

All this being said...should include what else was in email

The Epic Endgame is supposed to create a "pull" through the game - something to wonder about and explore if you get tired of building your castle or breeding cattle. If you think Wurm is too much of a grind then you should try out the Epic servers.

Edited by Seviago

can we get a break down(list)  of what Freedom gets in 1.1 , so i won't be confushed , thanks kindly also

all the other stuff that isn't epic...go look at the announcment

i was under the impression this stuff was for epic exclusively

Don't be silly he'll give it to freedom as well since it's epics material and all :P

I see a lot of assumptions, Gaeron, not sure where you got the impression that it was a new class.

I don't see any reason to release ANY info on how things work before its even released.

Very basic info should be released together with 1.1. update, and then people can play around and figure stuff out for themselves. Thats one of the charms of Wurm.

Behold the powers of the Red Cherry!

EzktWQw.gif

EDIT: Aye it seems to be a system that works off of items and talismans bestowing the abilities, not so much a skill system (unless an ability uses a skill or stat to enhance). The title thing is initially misleading.

Granted it would be funny if using an item caused you to go Godless.

Edited by Klaa

Now that Wurm is not only Live 1.0 but Live 1.1   we need better release documentation from the dev team.

• Like 3

I see a lot of assumptions, Gaeron, not sure where you got the impression that it was a new class.

I don't see any reason to release ANY info on how things work before its even released.

Very basic info should be released together with 1.1. update, and then people can play around and figure stuff out for themselves. Thats one of the charms of Wurm.

Of course there are lots of assumptions. That is how Wurm has always worked. Something gets released. We assume its released correctly and then try and work out what it is.

I used to think much the same way then realised how much of a mess has been caused by lack of proper and essential documentation.

How many times have people thought bugs were deliberate features simply because there has never been any official documentation on how things work and then the fallout from said bugs?

How can you have a sane PvP environment when the legal mechanisms for PvP are not documented anywhere. I've lost track of the times when MR felt either JK or BL were abusing the hell out of something and vice versa. There were definitely times when things were abused and definitely times when they were not but both sides were not sharing the same rule book which is ludicrous.

As for not releasing any information before the update goes live, thats a matter of opinion. I respect that you feel that way but I don't agree.

• Like 7

there was a newsletter sent about a month ago talking about upcoming changes...and someone copypaste it to a forum post i think...lemme just find it.

We are now introducing Abilities, a system that makes use of the Karma Points which have been around for a while. You gain Karma Points by consuming the "Source". The Source can be found in Source Fountains, Source Crystals, or by completing the missions on the Epic servers.

You gain an ability as a very rare event. On the Epic Servers, an Ability Item may be handed out as a reward when a Scenario ends, which happens about once per month. On Freedom servers we haven't decided how to distribute them yet, but possibly through treasure hunts.

An Ability Item could be a Tome of Magic, a vial containing smoke from Sol, or a Green Cherry. Each item has three charges and gives the user a special ability. This ability is pretty powerful and could cast a Karma Bolt, set you up for a critical hit, or create a mirror image of yourself. They often have pretty long cooldown and consume quite a bit of Karma so they shouldn't be overpowered.

With every ability comes a title, such as Witch Hunter, Valkyrie or Summoner. If you gain several abilities, this title will change, and eventually you may find yourself called something really special, like Demon Queen or Arch Mage. Eventually we'll add some sort of graphics for them as well.

three people have already recieved these items (though they aren't activated) on EPIC servers. They get them from the gods who win.  Inventor got a red tome, Jamma(?) red tome, and Ghoulio got red cherries.  

reading it again it MAY appear the ability is permanent and the ITEM ABILITY is limited (3charges) and has a different affect.

All this being said...should include what else was in email

The Epic Endgame is supposed to create a "pull" through the game - something to wonder about and explore if you get tired of building your castle or breeding cattle. If you think Wurm is too much of a grind then you should try out the Epic servers.

As long as Epic has PvP then Epic for me is a NOGO. I am not the only one that Feels that way either. Going to Epic with no intention of PvPing is like a Doctor going to a Hospital for their rotation with no intentions of treating Patients. Completely illogical and even insane.

At least now Players will be able to use Magic and not have to pretend their a Priest or a Holyman. Cool new stuff imo.

Enjoy the new content.

Edited by Kyrmius

keeping things secret only results in parts of the game that the time and effort was made to implement being only available to a tiny secretive few who figure it all out efficently. It serves only to ensure that there is both an unlevel playing field from the start and an even insurmountable one at the end. Game changes should be open, clear, completely explained and then released so that everyone possible can if they choose take part in it.

This is the most effective means of making and keeping the most satisfied customers and avoiding elitism and it's consequential sense of entitlement. 

• Like 2

I am in the process of writing up some introductory documentation to some of the new features including the cross-server chat, how foraging/botanising has changed, and of course an introduction to sorcery in Wurm.

I won't be giving everything away as we like to keep some mystery for you guys, especially the first to achieve sorcery abilities, but I will be putting across information such as the requirements of being a sorcerer, some of the benefits, and some of the drawbacks.

Something I would like to say at this point about Sorcery is that it is not a new character 'class' as such but rather it is something accessible to anyone on the Epic server only (for now) in the same way that meditation does not limit a character as priesthood does. We plan to introduce it to the Freedom/Chaos servers once we figure out the best and fairest way to do that.

The reason it will be epic-only after the 1.1 Summer Update is that sorcery abilities are directly linked to Epic server scenarios and our existing Karma system. The epic server scenario endings do not directly affect Freedom which is why they will not be immediately available on Freedom/Chaos.

• Like 3

keeping things secret only results in parts of the game that the time and effort was made to implement being only available to a tiny secretive few who figure it all out efficently. It serves only to ensure that there is both an unlevel playing field from the start and an even insurmountable one at the end. Game changes should be open, clear, completely explained and then released so that everyone possible can if they choose take part in it.

This is the most effective means of making and keeping the most satisfied customers and avoiding elitism and it's consequential sense of entitlement. 

Sound lik WoW to me... -.-

Not everything is "exclusive for epic" accept it and move on.

And like judy said, find out yourself!

As long as Epic has PvP then Epic for me is a NOGO. I am not the only one that Feels that way either. Going to Epic with no intention of PvPing is like a Doctor going to a Hospital for their rotation with no intentions of treating Patients. Completely illogical and even insane.

Ehh there are some PvP players who would completely agree with that however there is no reason you can't enjoy the different style environment without actively seeking PvP. Unlike the Doctor at the hospital you don't have a job you're meant to do and can do whatever you want. Because PvP is enabled there only needs to be GM interaction and rules on how you play simply to account for exploits because there is a player driven solution for everything else even if it comes down to violence. Wurm is all about having everything be as player driven as possible and without PvP you end up having to rely on hardset rules and GMs to manage player disputes or potential player disputes because there is no way for the players to handle it themselves if one side decides to be stubborn. Which is understandably not for everyone but it doesn't mean that being on a PvP server/cluster can't be interesting in new ways even if you have no intention of seeking PvP out. However Rolf wants the game to be at some level PvP oriented so he continues to work on PvP features, if you want to play on servers with a crippled set of features it's your choice :P.

Edited by Theodis
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more that we need more documentation of changes in Wurm, it's always been something thats needed. All the "charm" of it in the world will never make up for all the mistakes and bugs that we see. For example i recently found out i wasted 8 months of my life trying to reach lvl 11 of the hate path because it advertised "spell immunity" only to find out that this was very poorly worded and not documented. Meaning that i now have to waste another 6 months switching to another path that is actually worth being on.

Also could we just have one update where noone from Epic acts like an over entitled child screaming "no this is for us and us alone!" Just because you play on Epic does not mean every other server isn't entitled to new features.

• Like 9

This is a great idea, if they released even a clue how things worked we could'nt accuse each other of abusing and exploiting, half the CA's and CM's have little clue how things really work in Wurm as it is.

Edited by Kadore
  • Like 1

Also could we just have one update where noone from Epic acts like an over entitled child screaming "no this is for us and us alone!" Just because you play on Epic does not mean every other server isn't entitled to new features.

Definitely. If the work's already done and the feature is applicable to other servers with minimal tweaking there is no reason everyone can't benefit from the dev's hard work and of course get their own share of the bugs that come with it!

Edited by Theodis

freedom cluster shouldn't get any updates, should be left alone.

Rolf standup for what you believed in originally

• Like 3

freedom cluster shouldn't get any updates, should be left alone.

Rolf standup for what you believed in originally

To purposefully exclude or negate 85%+ of ones customers and only service 15% when that 15% or less does not pay 85% higher premium and deed fees is business suicide. 

While i do not play on freedom I do respect the fact that they are literally what keeps Wurm online, online. They are also no less deserving of support and implementation from now into the future then those playing on Epic. or the semi-Freedom Chaos server.

The bottom line is that the people who play on Pvp enabled servers are not, will not and never have been more important, deserving, or in any way better then those who do not play on PvP enabled servers. Especially since you are dependant upon them to keep funding the game regardless of the server your on.

• Like 8