Sign in to follow this  
NESGamepro

In Game Auction House

My idea is that every starter deed has an auction house, in them is a special NPC where you can set up and view auctions. It would need to have a pretty good GUI with ways to search auctions, find auctions by category and see new auctions. There could be a small fee for setting up an auction or not, that's up to the devs.

On freedom this should be for all servers in a cluster, each auction house would be linked into 1 big continuous global auction, just for some sanity and to make it more useful. On epic I guess each kingdom would need their own.

Traders could sell, for maybe 5s, a new type of NPC called an auction runner. It would let you set up a place for anyone to use the auction house remotely. Alternatively, mailboxes could be updated to do the same function and charge a small fee for the run.

Pros
- Safer and more convenient auction trading.
- A way to see the "average" current price for items.
- A new type of functional public building people could make if the NPC auction runner is used.
- Money sink.

Cons
- It could make merchants less useful in their traditional role, but they would have some use still.
- Money sink.
- It would effect the economy, may be good or bad in the long run but it would effect it

So, what do you think.

Edited by NESGamepro
  • Like 2

Personally I don't like the idea of a global auction house in Wurm, especially spanning multiple servers - but this assumes it also functions as a mailbox too, delivering the winnings etc. However, if the system is merely an interface to facilitate players offering and finding goods and services but doesn't actually provide any payment or delivery system, then it would essentially provide a more effective version of selling and auctioning as is currently found in the forums. That I'd be happy with.

If the system is merely an interface to facilitate players offering and finding goods and services but doesn't actually provide any payment or delivery system, then it would essentially provide a more effective version of selling and auctioning as is currently found in the forums. That I'd be happy with.

This.

That sounds more like a notice board, I don't think that would be any more useful than the forums. My idea would include payments, in silver, euros auctions would still be done on the forums and runner NPC's or mailboxes would handle the delivery.

Edited by NESGamepro

If they are going to add in an auction house i think it should be just a new npc that you buy from the traders that you set up and use like a regular merchant but it has a server wide listing and item retrieval system so you can buy and sell from any auctioneer just like you do now with merchants. Something like that anyway. 

One of the challenges with trading is the distance travelled.  A global auction house would drive down cost and remove the need for large ships etc...  

This would not be true to Wurm's original intent I believe.  It wouldn't improve my experience. 

Bulk orders would still have to be handled in traditional ways. This is more for single items which are already sent by mail for a fee for most things.

One of the challenges with trading is the distance travelled.  A global auction house would drive down cost and remove the need for large ships etc...

You talk ###### here. No one travels long distances with huge ships to collect a mallet or a hammer or w/e. they either get mailed, or alt is put in a sailboat and runs for it. So your statement is out of the moon. On the other hand, auction would be based on single item sale+delivery, bulk items would still need be done old way and big ships used to transport stuff. I see only improvement in this, rather then surfing forums looking for stuff, then pm'ing the seller, then w8ing for him to log in and respond, and then mailbox delivery anyways. Also merchants wouldn't turn useless, as they can be linked to auction house providing direct sales for a fix amount. You put your stuff on merchant and the main auction house updates with the list hes selling. Should be like 2 tabs, one with auctions, another one with sales. That way merchants could be anywhere on the map and you wouldnt have to wander looking for them.

+1   the game needs to make trading between players more feasible, besides going to forums.

also add the mailing system to the auction house and make everything you can carry as a newbie mailable.

the wurm economy needs some helping right now. and the notion that stuff like this would take away from wurm or

impede player interaction is misinformed. players just wont travel anyway right now unless its a bulk order.

Personally I don't like the idea of a global auction house in Wurm, especially spanning multiple servers - but this assumes it also functions as a mailbox too, delivering the winnings etc. However, if the system is merely an interface to facilitate players offering and finding goods and services but doesn't actually provide any payment or delivery system, then it would essentially provide a more effective version of selling and auctioning as is currently found in the forums. That I'd be happy with.

whats the diference between an auction house that mails the items for you and auctioning it on the forums and mail it yourself? other than it saves  you and the buyer some time.

i support this and would like it to take the money out your bank when you bid.until u are outbided(then u get it back)that would also solve the problem or fake bids because people would really risk their money when they bid,instead of the current system that allow people to  bid for buyout and then never pay(sometimes even causing the item to he lost in the mail) this way when u bid the money is out of your bank and paid to the seller as soon as the auction is over.

• Like 1

-1 I wish the mail system was removed entirely so there would be more people doing deliveries for a fee.

EDIT: I remember before deli opened and the mail system was added, there was a group of players on Indy that opened a shipping company for small items.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 3

Thinking more on the idea...

The whole main auction house in starter deed could be scrapped and it could just be an add on to the mail boxes at it's most basic form. Everything in Wurm is slightly more complex though so that's what i was going for and trying to make it not seem magical. Plus I want to build a functional auction house at our alliance market. :P

How about just auction house on Wurm Online website? Easier than making auctions/wts threads on forum.

Thank you all for the comments so far, anyone else have anything to add?

This was actually really well written and serves to well represent my opinion as well. No magical delivery please.

Hordern, on 14 Jun 2013 - 6:13 PM, said:

Edited by Elen

If ever there was an in game auction house............

It would need the most strenuous debugging and fail-safe checks possible.

I've lost track of how many exploits in other games have centred around an auction house and its not pretty.

In-fact based on that thought  I'd  totally -1 this just to prevent said exploits even having a chance of happening.

• Like 1

If ever there was an in game auction house............

It would need the most strenuous debugging and fail-safe checks possible.

I've lost track of how many exploits in other games have centred around an auction house and its not pretty.

In-fact based on that thought  I'd  totally -1 this just to prevent said exploits even having a chance of happening.

Nooo kidding... and then there's the scams.

+1    Who has what where and for how much. I too prefer an information only system. Magic delivery isn't the issue. 

I could see an building/area that people have to go into and put in the items to put them up for auction.

But no long distance auction houses from home sorry.

Edited by Protunia

I just signed up for premium and the beginner players would be well served with a dedicated auction channel.

Some command like /auctionFreedom to open up dedicated channel.

Put all the sales, offers and begging into one channel that won't disturb other players.

New Player.

Dont think it will work out good in the end :S

But you never know if you dont try it.

So far forum auctions work pretty well, even though not 100% of wurmians visit forums.

and im pretty sure the ingame auctions wont get 100% attention either ;)

Dont think it will work out good in the end :S

But you never know if you dont try it.

So far forum auctions work pretty well, even though not 100% of wurmians visit forums.

and im pretty sure the ingame auctions wont get 100% attention either ;)

There would be more sales than the forums ever thought of.