Sign in to follow this  
Kamikazifly

Kamikazifly's Guide To Fighting For Newbs

So you want to join the ranks in the military, or survive a spider bite? You've come to the right place. My guide is designed to get you skilled up as fast as possible, so that I can meet you on the battlefield as friend or fo... just as long as you remember we are all friends here.

This guide is to get you from 1 to 20 fight skill equivalent asap. My next guide will show you how to get to 50 fight skill. This guide will not reference anything you shouldn't worry about.

Check yourself! You think you need a vorpal sword and scale plate of the ancients? Wrong. Thats baloney hogwash your human mind has tricked you into believing. Sure they help, but I 'could' kill you naked with an open hand. You can get fancy gear, it takes time, but getting all fancy wont make you powerful.

Before you do anything, check your total weight. As a noob you can out run anything if your total inventory weight is less than 30kg. More than 30kg you will start to slow down... an easy target for a spider. Eliminate unnecessary gear. Keep your compass, bowl, carving knife, hatchet, shield, and shovel. Put your hatchet in your right hand. Drop whatever else you wish to.

First you want some skill in a weapon. Either use your hatchet or make a cheap long sword and chop down a tree with it. Using sleep bonus, this can get you to 20 skill in 2hours. Now your pro! (On a tree, weapon skill gains stop at 20 skill out of 100max, if that weapon type can chop a tree.)

Second, you will need to learn how to block. Take the shield out of your hand and wear it on your left arm. You most likely are in Normal Stance. This is desired. You will only gain blocking skill if you block something. So find a cave bug, cat, dog, rooster, pig, and kill it. Things to avoid: hell hound, deer, wolf, bear, spider, scorpian, goblin, troll, lava fiend, etc. If you have question of survival, rest assured you will die.

All animals fight back, so understand that you will die. This is fine. Get used to it. Dieing is not as harsh as one might think. Sure you will lose skills, but you don't have any skills, so what do you have to lose? You spawn with full health! Stay close to spawn, so you can fetch your equipment quickly. Then finish off the critter. If you die again, just go get your stuff and continue. You will gain many much needed skills for fighting, that you just might retain even on death.

Third, if you have finally got your first kill, then you have earned my respect to bandage yourself. Start botanizing on grass and steppe tiles. Hopefully you will find a cotton. While looking for cotton, look at your wounds. If a wound is over 15dmg, you will bleed to death in an hour, real time. Every 10 minutes you will get a health tick. If the dmg on a single wound is under 15, that wound will heal in time. If you have a wound over 15dmg, then bandage it to slow the bleeding.
Activate the cotton, right click your wound, and use first_aid on it.

If the wound drops below 15dmg, you will live. If not, you will need a healing cover to increase your regeneration rate on that single wound. Good thing you were botonizing, some of these items will come in handy now. Activate a random herb, right click another herb, and if the menu displays Alchemy, then it will make a healing cover. Continue looking through herbs till you create a healing cover.
Activate the healing cover, right click your wound, and apply it.

Fourth, lets get a better healing cover on that. Examine the wound. It will display a hard number between 2 and 25. This number is not dependant on the ql of the healing cover at all. Each named component has a healing rate value. Your skill will not increase this value, but your skill will help create a cover successfully. Check if you found any rosemary, lovage, nettles, or sage. Also, mushrooms grow freely in the forest now. Grab a black, blue, or green mushroom for healing cover potency (in that order). High ranking fighters will not touch these, due to their high weight content. So noob up and grab them all. Keep in mind, of your carry weight. Skill your Body Strength to carry more easily.

Now, activate your weapon and butcher that corpse to pieces. This is gory and will yield horrible butchered items, but you will gain weapon skill, body control, and cool factor! Don't bury the corpse, this will attract more viscous critters for you to fight. You don't gain enough skill from burying any corpse for it to ever be worth skilling on. (June 10th, 2013) -- Burying takes time, and this guide is the fast track. No time to doddle. (If later we gain something from burying corpses, then feel free to bury it.) Also, it is considered rude to not bury a corpse. But what they gonna do? Kill you? lol. Let the weak die in misery.

If you see anyone in local, say hi. Making friends will help you not die. It might even help you succeed! Without friends... you will fail. Nobody likes to fail. So be cool.

If you make enemies, you will be hunted down and torn apart. Don't make enemies. How simple is that? Don't be a chump.

If you have a rope, and find any un-taken horses, cows, chicken, or pigs wandering in the forest, lead them with the rope, and ask anyone in local if they would like it for free. Do not ask money for it. Do not ask for trade value. Give the animal freely and with no regret. If they kill it, then just ignore their actions, and don't give them another. People desire these cute animals a lot. They will probably cause it to die, unless they are super good at feeding the farm animals. Don't worry if it dies. There will be more, and they will have learned from it. Freely give these animals, as a token of kindness.

Now that you have the basics, its time to gain 1% more experience per skill tick. Lets eat. Stick a botany item (or mushroom) and meat in the bowl. Examine it. Does it say it will make food? If yes, then make a campfire and stick that bowl in the fire already. Eat it. Drink water. Now your stamina will regen faster, if you hold still. Now go kill.

Lastly, remember how you made friends? Now see if someone will convert you to a religion. Choose Magranon for dmg, Fo for healing, or Vynora for exp. Some kind soul built altars everywhere. If you see an altar, pray at it. If not, don't worry about it. At an altar, pray once every 20 minutes, 5 times a day, till 30 faith. Then never pray again. (Cause you wont need to.) Why aren't you killing stuff already, get out there!

Your done. Happy hunting to you! And Remember! watch your carry weight, make friends, and don't be a chump!

Edited by Kamikazifly
  • Like 3

Great guide!!! :D

Only thing I'd say is that cotton can be quite hard to find through foraging/botanizing, best bet would be to ask someone for cotton seeds and get farming. (That's what I'd recommend anyway.)

Oh no, that is too much weight for a newb. A newb wants to be completely self sufficient. Thus my guide tells you what to do, but does not tell you of the huge benefits of doing it my way, until they are done.

Edited by Kamikazifly

Cotton weighs a ton. Newb death is a pretty cheap way to heal. Only after becoming self sufficient will a new fighter become a great fighter!

First thing to do in my guide is to drop the extra weight

Edited by Kamikazifly