Sign in to follow this  
Maylilyx

Is Chaos Or Epic Better?

At first I wanted to join Chaos, but after reading some post in their forums, people have been saying PvP is really screwy there and raiding is disabled. The post is old though, like from 2012. Has this been fixed yet? Raiding is probably the 1st reason I want to join Chaos instead of a PvE server. And how is lockpicking and stealing? If I can't do any of these things there's not really a reason to join Chaos for me.

If I join Epic, can I raid other's villages?

Ughhhh, a thread like this is very difficult to reply to, because any side is going to be slightly bias.  

I will put it simply like this with as little bias as I can.  Chaos is fun if you have a good account.  I don't think it's ideal for a new player to start out on.  I think it's a good server for players who have experienced accounts on Freedom cluster and want to venture over to Chaos and experience PvP for a week, or weekend, but overall it's difficult to start there because you're up against veteran players who will out-gear you, out-skill you, and sometimes show little mercy.  It's perfectly plausible to start, and join up in an existing PMK, but you it's significantly harder than Epic.

Epic is good for a faster experience, it has a 2x skillgain and curve, it's notably faster to get an account skilled up, and into the fight faster.  Yes, there'll still be enemies that out-gear you and out-skill you like Chaos, but it is plausible to catch up faster and compete.  I seen many newbies join and surpass players who started day 1 on Epic in /rank and skills sometimes.  There's less items like drake, scale, farwalkers, summer hats, and other items that "imbalance" PvP so Epic is more a fair clean fight sometimes based around tactics not so much gear.  You could have a good PvP account and be battling (and winning) within only 2-3 weeks.  

Overall they are both PvP, but different agendas and different play styles.  I think Epic is a bit more PvP heavy in terms of kills, but both have active PvP.  You can't really say one server is better or worse than the other because they aren't that alike in styles.  PvP yes, but styles, no.  If I were new and looking to get into PvP, I would personally go Epic than Chaos but it's just my opinion.  You can still do well on Chaos, but you do have to join one the 2 PMKs and work with them, you wouldn't have much being "independent" or trying anything solo.  

Edited by Postes
  • Like 8

Epic is better for new players as it's easy to get up to pvp standers, easier to replace your items after death. Chaos you sort of have to buy your way like a poker game. I suggest trying either one out before you come to a final decision. 

well I play both so here is my opinion

starting off a new account on chaos is pretty much you grinding to 60/60/60 (fs, weaponskill, shieldskill) to be able to actually hit your enemies and to not die quickly. It is very rough on newer players there because of the lower skillgain too. 99% of the fighting in the server goes on at The Hot Gate, a deed raided weekly by MR and that is where you go if you want any pvp and I guess hotas on very rare occasions

Epic on the other hand is very fast to get into, there is also pretty much a very low value for things (armour, weapons, etc..) so when you get into villages and whatnot, you can be very easily supplied with the things you need to start off, it is easy to make a nice account and get right into pvp. There is also a good market for crafters and people who dedicate their time to make very good priests and crafting accounts.

I'd say overall the best thing about chaos is that both communities/kingdoms there are like a family kind of, most people have been apart of their kingdom for many years and will never convert.

The best thing about epic is that you can easily find pvp by going on a boat and sailing around or on a horse, there is pretty much pvp anywhere, you just need to find it and be careful.

My thoughts:

On Chaos you need skill, tactics and to work "as a team". PvP isnt all about the numbers, its about how you play as a group, what chars you have in your group, and i guess what equipment you have (yes this includes FW's and dragon armour)

On Epic you need numbers, you need to have more pets, you need to have more glimmersteel. The Pvp is about who can zerg the best, or who can backdoor the best. Tactics and skill dont come in too much as groups usually just run at each other and hope for the best.

Disclaimer: Ive played on both, however on Epic i played for the first 2-3months and that is what I experienced.

Overall i guess Epic is best for full out PvP carnage, but Chaos is best for territorial warfare.

On Epic you need numbers, you need to have more pets, you need to have more glimmersteel. The Pvp is about who can zerg the best, or who can backdoor the best. Tactics and skill dont come in too much as groups usually just run at each other and hope for the best.

Pretty much untruthful, sadly.  This is why threads like this are hard to debate, because if a player dislikes Epic, they will subtly bash it. This is untrue, as someone who plays on Epic - tactics are huge!  It's one the biggest things.  There's barely pets used, and many people won battles without ever needing Glimmersteel.  Glimmersteel is an insanely small factor to changing the outcome of a fight, so not sure why something like that was brought up.  Everything said here in this quote is applied to Chaos or Epic in certain circumstances.  

Each server uses tactics.

Each server requires numbers.

Each server have differences in gear and skills.  

One (Epic) is just made easier to catch up better create fighter accounts faster.  That's really the biggest difference.

You can switch between server clusters, so try Chaos, switch to Epic, and go and see which you are enjoying more.  It should also be noted that Epic's community size is larger than Chaos as a single server, so often there's more chances for PvP because of the population.  

Edited by Postes
  • Like 1

Try both, and migrate to whatever one you like most.  They are very different beasts and anyone chiming in about one being better than the other is merely stating personal and weighted/biased viewpoints.

Some people are Coca Cola people, some people are Pepsi people.  The Wild vs. Epic issue is the exact same - just a matter of preference and what you are looking for.

Good luck wherever you end up!  Both Epic and Chaos have pretty tight knit communities.

Epic > Chaos

1. Especially for a new character.

Curve + faster skill gain will guide you into PvP smoothly without months of grinding.

2. Epic also has more features for PvP:

Just check: Server type summary http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Servers

3.  4x Islands connected and all opened for PvP =  players and targets for PvP

Edited by vill
  • Like 1

Neither is better. Chaos is full pvp (regarding the post about 2012 is now false) with two very old, very tight knit communities that are very welcoming to new players, that is if you contact the heads of the two kingdoms correctly. Although the skill curve is normal so you will find it may take you 2-3 months of hard work to contribute to pvp. Chaos is also connected to 4 PVE islands (and possibly 6 later) with a huge player base. The PVE players have a much different playstyle, but are so very welcoming for new players and love to trade goodies. 

Epic has faster skill gain so you will get into the fight much much much faster and contribute to the village much more quicker. It does have home servers but they are still all pvp, no safe zones, and when you join epic you have only the main island and your home kingdom island to settle on, as oppose to the possible 5+2 islands that you can travel on if you join chaos/freedom. 

If i were to start out new it would be a hard choice for me, faster skill gains to get into pvp quicker, or a huge area to adventure in safely on the many pve islands and a huge pvp island if i felt daring enough to travel there but take me much longer to get into pvp and wouldnt know where to start to be accepted in the tight knit communities of chaos 

EDIT: There is also so many more fights on Epic daily all over the 4 islands, but Chaos only has a battle between 2 kingdoms, and only occurs at one time somewhere on the map, usually at the wardeeds.

Edited by demondan
  • Like 2

Being a newer player I would recommend Epic hands down.  My character was based on Freedom/Independence for a month but I have found my first few days of going epic to be really fun for a number of reasons:

1) Easy to get to if you started on  from a Freedom server.  Epic portals are very easy to build, easier than boats.  Once you build one and use it you basically have two characters. One stays on the Freedom server with all his skills and gear, and a new fresh char on the Epic server gets created.  And if you dont like Epic it's really easy to come back, just use the portal in the starter town there.  You can also mix it up, coming and going as you please, with an hour cooldown between portal uses.  This whole concept makes it very easy to learn how to play the game on Freedom then move to Epic to start fresh when you are ready.  Much easier than sailing back and forth between Chaos.

2) Very fast skill gain.  The 2x gain plus curve on Epic really helps out if you are a casual player like me and cant dedicate 2-3 months of constant grind just to get up to par.  You will see results fast and my current char on Epic will probably be outpacing my main on Freedom soon. Makes it quicker to get into things.

3) Overall good atmosphere.  There are not hordes of people waiting outside the starter towns to gank you and dump all your noob gear in the ocean.  It is a pvp server though and you do need to be suspicious of others and may get ganked occasionally but frankly I like the suspense of it all.  If you grew up playing games like UO this feels the closest thing to it.

4) More strategic building decisions.  On Freedom there is really no point to build anything but a crude or low wood fence.  On Epic it matters.  Your lock and traps mean something here too.  I almost got killed in someones thorn bush.  I look forward to making an inviting place then setting some traps and strategic thorn bushes, heh.  You also see way more interesting building setups focused on defense.  Castles with moats, a lot of mine underground cavern/hideouts, etc. 

5) TONS of creatures.  On Independence if a pig appears its gets mobbed by 4 guys at once.  There are sooo many creatures all over the place on epic though.  No shortage of things to fight while also making survival out in the wilderness more perilous.   I had never seen a wild cow in my entire month playing on Freedom but bumped into wild cows, deers, horses, bison, pigs, pheasants, spiders, death crawlers, apes, crocodiles and some random event griffon things (which jacked me) all in my first 30 minutes of exploring. The only time I see these on Freedom/inde are in someones farm.  Makes the game much more interesting with all these random mobs around.

Obviously the big downside is if you die you can lose everything but play smart, put more thought into your building location focused on defense and hidden spots and you can adjust.  Overall I highly recommend epic servers for the increased skill gain, more suspenseful meaningful play style you need to use, and the "wild" feel of it all which really turns Wurm back into a "game of survival" which I find the most fun, rather than a game of grinding.

• Like 2

While I don't disagree with your analysis of Epic, it's fair to point out your comparing Epic to Independance rather than Epic to Chaos and most of your points are observations which are true for Chaos too.

My advice to the OP though is as others have said.

Try the two out. You will find it easier to get started on Epic due to the skill gains and the fact that the home servers are covered with your own kingdoms influence, while on Chaos, unless you decide to join one of the two PMK's, you're going to find it a very tough existence with limited range thanks to tower guards, and limited folks to interact with due to the low populations of Freedom and HotS. However, get involved with the PMK's and you'll find a very generous and close knit community (though this can also be said for some groups on Epic too of course ;) ).

Ive played on chaos/wild for a very long time, and on epic since it began. Since epic, I have not returned to chaos actively (visit on occasion) since with epic, everyone is on a much level playing field.  On chaos/wild, there were too many farwalkers, too many drake, too many scale, too many windows of windows of oppourtunities, that was held/abused by  too many people, and unless you are lucky enough to kill someone solo in drake/manage to talk yourself into drake from a gank, chances are you will have to spend some money to acquire dragon armor. And then there are farwalker amulets, which I could write an essay about lol.

Anyways, TLDR; Epic is better to start off in, you will feel able to get involved sooner, and it is more active PvP wise.

Edited by Sevoflurane

Ive played on chaos/wild for a very long time, and on epic since it began. Since epic, I have not returned to chaos actively (visit on occasion) since with epic, everyone is on a much level playing field.  On chaos/wild, there were too many farwalkers, too many drake, too many scale, too many windows of windows of oppourtunities, that was held/abused by  too many people, and unless you are lucky enough to kill someone solo in drake/manage to talk yourself into drake from a gank, chances are you will have to spend some money to acquire dragon armor. And then there are farwalker amulets, which I could write an essay about lol.

Anyways, TLDR; Epic is better to start off in, you will feel able to get involved sooner, and it is more active PvP wise.

this

I think that Chaos is better, because its connected to the freedom server, you can get both PvP and PvE with your same character. Also, for the same reason that its connected to freedom, you have access to the great majority of the players, wich leads to finding better equipment at better prices, the posibility of training in a safer enviroment, and the chance to discuss aliances and such in safe-neutral ground.

Epic is the pure PvP server, and I am sure it has more active PvP, it has all the PvP features, and gets the newer features first, but you are confined to that small community.    You can fight and raid in both servers, but they both offer diferent things.

• Like 2

the PVE servers is a wonderful place to travel ive noticed.

Played on both, and personally prefer Chaos but the server can be a bit harder for a new player to get the necessary skills up to be able to enjoy pvp. On epic you can be ready to pvp in a short time, say a week or so, whereas on chaos its more like a few months.

Currently playing on Chaos because I find the community better here.

Edited by Lancelot

I think that Chaos is better, because its connected to the freedom server, you can get both PvP and PvE with your same character. Also, for the same reason that its connected to freedom, you have access to the great majority of the players, wich leads to finding better equipment at better prices, the posibility of training in a safer enviroment, and the chance to discuss aliances and such in safe-neutral ground.

Epic is the pure PvP server, and I am sure it has more active PvP, it has all the PvP features, And gets the newer features first, but you are confined to that small community.    You can fight and raid in both servers, but they both offer diferent things.

Epic has much better prices for gear than freedom, due to people generally having higher skills, and the curve.

Home servers are also a pretty safe area to train, unless you are on affliction.