Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

"new Character Friendly" Idea

How about instead of adding a aggro free server(s) why not make it so for the first 24hours of game play critters stronger then a lion will not attack such "young" characters. That way new players alike only have to deal with Wild cats, rats, and cave bugs while looking for a place to settle into. Of course if they attack a troll or bear or what ever it will attack back. But wont aggro until then.

This way new characters are not immune to the wilderness but able to roam a little more freely.

And if possible outline the critters that would attack them after the 24hours in orange? So they will know to watch out for them once the time comes and not see the blue outline and think they will be friendly for ever. As we all know most gamers now a days wont read much of the guide handed to them unless told when they ask about it.

Less new character players complaining about how "harsh" the wilderness is and cant fully be exploited as critter immune alt scouts/spies.

Thoughts? Ways could make it a little better?

Credit to Raamkozijn: Once a player leaves the tutorial they get an event message saying "After 24hours of time played orange outlined wildlife will become red and attack if you get to close" Along with a 23hour event message "You have one hour until orange outlined wildlife becomes aggressive"

Edited by Ronnie

Sounds okay i would just make it no aggro at all from anything for the 24 hours unless attacked. You might get players wondering why nothing is attacking but it would give them 24 hours to get set up and ready to fight or at least have a safe house ready. 

On  the other hand though it would make spy alts much easier to move around without having to worry about animals so..idk

That certainly has potential, I think.

It would probably need a very clear message at the tutorial (or when you're just out of the tutorial), explaining how those stronger creatures won't stay "neutral" forever. Otherwise you might end up with players hugging champ trolls as they think they can be best friends. We don't want that :P

As this has more risk than the initial light fading or Bartender refusing to feed you, I suggest a warning when you're at 23 of the 24 first hours could pop up, so new players have a heads up that those champ trolls hanging around at players' unfinished houses will become aggravated "soon".

Just my 2 cents on it, imo overall a nice idea :)

-edit-

Ah yes, spy alts might indeed be an issue. Not sure how to work around that, sadly *ponders*

Edited by Raamkozijn

I like this idea. Maybe freedom only? Might solve spy alts, but then again chaos is consideted freedom. idk. i believe something such as this or similar should ne implemented. Would serve to weed out the ppl a bit more slowly but also gives mew players a chance to experience gameplay instead of deathwarping over and over.

Add it as a part of noob light perk. Since gods shine on you, nothing attacks you :)

Although I am not a newbie, I feel it would be fair to them. +1

It seems like a good idea to make starting out a bit more forgiving. However I'm worried that the non-aggro experience will get players in the wrong mindset for survival once the grace period is up. When you're not being homed in on by half the animals on a server it's easy to forget just how lethal walking around the forest can be, in particular with regards to the animals that are visually hidden from you. I suppose players will be better geared to deal with survival 24 hours into the experience, but I sure hope they will be made aware of what they have to deal with to encourage them to properly prepare.

First, I would suggest adding an event message for every called-off aggro event to remind players of just how much they can expect to get attacked unless they're careful. Ideally, the dangerous mobs would still be aggressive towards the players so that they would still "move in to attack" to give the same sense of urgency, but back off and run before landing the first blow. Additional warnings when the grace period is about to end would be necessary, too.

It seems like a good idea to make starting out a bit more forgiving. However I'm worried that the non-aggro experience will get players in the wrong mindset for survival once the grace period is up. When you're not being homed in on by half the animals on a server it's easy to forget just how lethal walking around the forest can be, in particular with regards to the animals that are visually hidden from you. I suppose players will be better geared to deal with survival 24 hours into the experience, but I sure hope they will be made aware of what they have to deal with to encourage them to properly prepare.

First, I would suggest adding an event message for every called-off aggro event to remind players of just how much they can expect to get attacked unless they're careful. Ideally, the dangerous mobs would still be aggressive towards the players so that they would still "move in to attack" to give the same sense of urgency, but back off and run before landing the first blow. Additional warnings when the grace period is about to end would be necessary, too.

Thats why I thought such critters that wouldnt attack you because of this idea should be outlined in orange for the time frame. That way players will be able to tell the differences between friendly and temporary "friendly" wildlife.

Edited by Ronnie

Thats why I thought such critters that wouldnt attack you because of this idea should be outlined in orange for the time frame. That way players will be able to tell the differences between friendly and temporary "friendly" wildlife.

Naturally, but changing the color of their outlines won't help players see the animals they fail to detect visually. For every animal you see in the forest there's at least two more nearby that you don't.

So, you're thinking something like:

"aged starving crocodile moves in to attack you."

"aged starving crocodile is calmed by the light of the gods."

I could definately see this being an issue with spy alts, so I propose that when entering enemy territory you receive something like the following:

"You enter the Horde of the Summoned."

"The light of the gods will not protect you here."

When leaving enemy territory you would see:

"You leave the Horde of the Summoned."

"The light of the gods surrounds you with protection."

This way, noobs would still get a feel for how dangerous it can be to wander, would not be free to roam enemy territory, and hopefully understand that it's generally a bad idea to do so unless you want to die. As they would lose the aggro protection while in enemy territory, I think it would nullify the effect any such protection would give to spy alts and would be a good compromise.

Edited by Marienara
  • Like 3

I put a +1 earlier, but really, some of my favorite wurm memories involve running for my life/death.... /conflicted

• Like 1

I put a +1 earlier, but really, some of my favorite wurm memories involve running for my life/death.... /conflicted

That experience would still be preserved for future generations. You would only be safe to travel within the first 24 gameplay hours. Which would allow people to meet up with their friends and their village, explore the surrounding area, or generally just get a feel for the game before having to deal with the constant threat of death beyond their little cave/hovel.

ive suggested this 5 times in other threads

but good that it got an own thread finally :)

+1

-1 part of my wurm experience was running from scary stuff. I wouldnt want to take that away from anyone. :)

Maybe the mobs should still aggro, but 95% of time abort the attack before killing? And the closer you are to the end of 24h protection period, the more health they beat out of you?

this is a really great idea i hope its gets put into effect. +1 from me