Sign in to follow this  
silakka

Everything Decays [?]

.. except dirt.

NOTE: this might be the worst suggestion ever or the best, dont take it too serious if you dont like it.

Everything players make in wurm decay by time... except terraforms.

After so many places being dug up and down, some places miss on dirt and some have too much of it.

Maybe some natural events like earthquakes would remove/spread out dirt on places that havent been touched for over 4months.

Would allow people to use their imagination again and not just move on already flattened spot. [i do know it's an easy solution for noobs who dont know how/want to dig]

But for us diggers it's just an inspiration killer :P

Sure there are millions of good spots everywhere, but some spots are sometimes just more special than others.

When dirt decay it should simply spill back into the terrain

yeah I didn't even read your post, but I slightly agree. Natural erosion would be a pretty cool feature, just make sure it's not too fast or overdone, as in a 300 steep pillar being flattened in a single go. Perhaps paved tiles should be immune to erosion

Edited by san_tropez

Also dont get me wrong, im so happy that my old terraforms will stay =P

Happy to leave a mark in the world.

I suspect that the checks and calculations required for every tile on every server would eat up resources to the point that no one could play.

It's an interesting idea that has been brought up before, but I just don't believe it's feasible.

+1 if the rate was amazingly slow, like 1-2 slope per RL month, offdeed only, and only unpaved, non-tree, dirt/sand tiles.

+1 would be awesome if it effected everything, so over time land shape changes, New bays form, New peninsula, islands grow or form from build up, be like a map reset but gradual and awesome :P

I give it -1 for the reasons Hordern said and for the fact that such update would come out 180% bugged and would mess up completely the places ppl are still living. I don't see a problem to tear down dirt walls manually on some abandoned site and re-terraform again as you like. Things that can be easily fixed are fine, wouldn't say that about mines. they should collapse at a lot higher rate if the mine is abandoned and not reinforced. not only a random tile, but entire shafts.

-1. Should any game-threatening lack of basic resources occur it can and will be addressed by the devs / GMs. No need to further increase the punitive effect of not being constantly online.

+1 if the rate was amazingly slow, like 1-2 slope per RL month, offdeed only, and only unpaved, non-tree, dirt/sand tiles.

Exactly, it doesnt even need to be anything big ^^

Wow this would be bad, for the server and players, if the land keeps shifting, we would get lost, the small subtle things can be landmarks to some

• Like 1

I'd just like to see dirt/sand regen.

I know we can always go to ocean and dredge, and lots of empty spots all over the servers, but I'm literally afraid to terraform anything because I don't want to leave the area looking like crap without an dirt/sand. :(

I don't even build stone houses because I'd have to create a crater that I'd never be able to fill up >_<

• Like 1

I do agree with this idea. After many years have passed, the servers are quite terraformed. If the ground would change and the dirt move, it could, for example, change roads from very super flat to more realistic, and at some point unpassable, and thus roads wouldn't be too easy to make and maintain. This could happend at winter, as it happends in real life for example. Also terraformed, decayed deeds and other flat areas would become realistic again which is good thing.

This could apply on off-deed areas only so deeds which needed two years to build and has some epic 297 slopes wouldn't get messed up so easily.

1+

It's an interesting idea that has been brought up before, but I just don't believe it's feasible.

But it's supposed to be a slow thing so it's not like the checks need to be done all at once across the server. Just index through all the tiles and only process 50 or so a second. That'd barely register on the server resources and a full sweep would take weeks which is a good rate for erosion to take place. Just shuffle up the indexing a bit so players aren't seeing the erosion line run across the server.

such update would come out 180% bugged and would mess up completely the places ppl are still living.

Every update can come with bugs and cause damage to players stuff. This should be the reason we have a better testing process not a reason against stopping change entirely.

Edited by Theodis

I'd wish that 'disasters' would acutally change the terrain instead of maging huge craters into the world.

I'd wish that 'disasters' would acutally change the terrain instead of maging huge craters into the world.

What is the appearance of a crater if not a change in the terrain? :P

If this way done it would have to be completely done/controlled by GM/Dev and not server side.

Every update can come with bugs and cause damage to players stuff. This should be the reason we have a better testing process not a reason against stopping change entirely.

You can never truly eradicate bugs before a release there will always be some kind of bug that will either be caused because of the release onto the live server or by some player doing an action that was not done during testing.

what if Fo had a spell to revert an area of land back to its creation status  " Heal land " at the least it could smooth it out and re naturalify  it

what if Fo had a spell to revert an area of land back to its creation status  " Heal land " at the least it could smooth it out and re naturalify  it

Fo can heal it to it's normal state and Mag can create earthquakes that just makes slopes on the already flat land ? :)

Locks never decay. They will outlast us all!

-1 I would not like my terraformed stuff to unterraform itself. Maybe if the idea was tweaked a bit, it would be ok.