Sign in to follow this  
Postes

Reconsidering Premium Costs.

Then we must send a messege to Wurm team!

I bet if any player didn't log during a whole week would be fun for them x) lol

Damn

Growing any business is hard to do without wrecking on the rocks. Growing a business thsts as social and vocal of a customer base as an mmo is even harder to pull off without destroying the stuff that propelled the game to this point in the shuffle. If wurm can fix the technical optimization issues along with the current crop of additions and the 1.1 items then it will be fine and likely start a modest growth again. Current prices and all. But the key and most critical issue is the optimizations. A broken or badly running game is too expensive at any price.

I am rather new and just subbed a premium account a few weeks ago.  I'll be honest I kind of regret doing this now.  I mainly did it so I could place a deed. I didnt realize how long it would take to really raise skills above 20, and I also didnt realize that once you sub, you pretty much have to stay that way.  Contrast this with other indie mmos like Fallen Earth where you can sub for a month if you think you are going to play a lot, get skill gain bonuses, then go back to f2p and switch between the two as you wish.   I think I may continue one more more of premium until most of my place is built, then just get an f2p alt who will maintain my place and help with my low cost 1s/month deed. 

The current sub works out to 15 USD a month.  That is quite a bit for a game like this.  EVE online, WoW, etc are all this price or cheaper...  Wurm is a pretty cool and unique concept, I hope they figure out a better pricing scheme.  With a lot of really high quality MMOs coming out, I have a feeling they arent going to get a lot of new players at this price.  

• Like 1

I would say the performance issues affected things the worst. The new graphics are very resource heavy, I know several people who just cant play anymore.

• Like 1

The new graphics aren't that resource heavy. Their are people who shouldnt lag at all, but do they because of the severe optimization problems.

Let's see what 1.1 does about this. I play this game maxed out on every setting and get 60 fps about 90% of the time except for PVP.

Edited by Brunwulf

I don't see any evidence that the price raise has caused any drop in subscriptions.

I think its more likely that the recent performance issues has caused more, and when those get fixed and when Wurm 1.1 comes out in June, there will be an increase in subscriptions again.

Four of my friends quit wurm due to the change in prices, and I had to drop 2 of my alts. I won't ever quit Wurm tho :), but I did have to make some cuts, so basically I went from spending 30 euros, to spending 16 euros. And when my friends left, there went another 40 euros. I don't really want t be caught in the middle of all this, but you asked for evidence, so I gave you some :)

Here is something never mentioned by those who say how cheap the game is. Most MMO you have at least three character slots. If you are paying premium you get three premium characters for the price of one. And while you may not be able to play them at the same time you still have three premium accounts. You don't need to pay for an additional premium account to have a different premium character type.

Maybe if Rolf would allow three character slots for each premium account more people would stay. 

Those other MMO's have 3 character slots because characters are severely limited by class or race. Wurm only has the priest limitation. This is a community game, you are not forced to have 1 or 3 priests.

I always had 4 prem acounts, 3 priests and one crafter. NOW... I have one.    :(

Those other MMO's have 3 character slots because characters are severely limited by class or race. Wurm only has the priest limitation. This is a community game, you are not forced to have 1 or 3 priests.

Most are not severly limited, they usually break down into 3 types, dd, tank and healer, most sub games offer 5-8 slots, the community game argument is old and tired, just because the game is built with the idea of it being a community game, it doesnt mean a large percentage of the game group up in 3 or 4 villages.

Really?

But you cant get what wurm offers anywhere with any money.

So, I admit my complete lack of understanding what you are talking about.

I notice that you failed to mention exactly what it is that I can't get anywhere else.  Perhaps you'd like to elaborate so that I may help you understand what I'm talking about..  

I can try to guess, but about the only thing I can come up with is the ability to raise and lower land, but then again, minecraft and xsyon offer that too.  Land/Housing ownership? nope, been done for years. (AC1, EQ2, Vanguard, Uncharted Waters etc, etc.),  Crafting? i'm pretty sure that's been done too (too many to list).  PVP? there is waaayy better out there (again, too many to list),  Mounts? no. Mining? nope.  Fishing? been done too.  I can go on and on but I think you get the idea. 

I'm not trying to say that WURM has no value, on the contrary, as I previously posted, I had no problem with the idea of a price increase until I saw how unreasonable that increase was.  I enjoy playing WURM, but I'm not going to pretend that it is something more than it really is just because it costs more. 

• Like 3

I notice that you failed to mention exactly what it is that I can't get anywhere else.  Perhaps you'd like to elaborate so that I may help you understand what I'm talking about..  

I can try to guess, but about the only thing I can come up with is the ability to raise and lower land, but then again, minecraft and xsyon offer that too.  Land/Housing ownership? nope, been done for years. (AC1, EQ2, Vanguard, Uncharted Waters etc, etc.),  Crafting? i'm pretty sure that's been done too (too many to list).  PVP? there is waaayy better out there (again, too many to list),  Mounts? no. Mining? nope.  Fishing? been done too.  I can go on and on but I think you get the idea. 

I'm not trying to say that WURM has no value, on the contrary, as I previously posted, I had no problem with the idea of a price increase until I saw how unreasonable that increase was.  I enjoy playing WURM, but I'm not going to pretend that it is something more than it really is just because it costs more. 

I think if people actually knew what the price increase was for, they would be more willing to pay the price.  (if they new 3-4 full time employees were being hired to bug test, develop etc A LOT of people would feel happier and more secure with the price increase)

• Like 1

I think if people actually knew what the price increase was for, they would be more willing to pay the price.  (if they new 3-4 full time employees were being hired to bug test, develop etc A LOT of people would feel happier and more secure with the price increase)

Problem is that came 4 years too late. I hope he's not actually paying bug testers, cause there's already an infinite amount of bugs to be fixed that players report every day. Idk what it takes to run a video game company, but for how long they've had to practice, they're probably running this game more horribly than anyone I've ever seen. Take today's patch for example, adding the functionality to respawn on your home server when dying overseas. It doesn't even work!!! It's like they never even tested the changes, cause all day today pvp has been disallowed while they figure out what's wrong. This is the released. paid version of the game, no longer in beta. For them to implement untested changes to the live servers is SOOO unprofessional. I wouldn't particularly mind a new feature not working 100% right, but when it stops other features in the game like pvp, you might as well just have just taken the servers offline. Notice that this is a constant issue, almost every patch has a faulty fix or unwanted fix or undocumented fix. The availability and reliability of wurm is dismal for what they charge for it.

There better be a HUGE correction in development and support for me to re-prem at this cost. Let's hope that's where the $ goes. But wurm's history doesn't give me much faith in that happening.

• Like 7

I think if people actually knew what the price increase was for, they would be more willing to pay the price. (if they new 3-4 full time employees were being hired to bug test, develop etc A LOT of people would feel happier and more secure with the price increase)

This isn't about people not wanting to spend more on Wurm, i think most people would like to help out, its just most people simply can't afford it. Edited by Exeffer

I just want to see why you cant sell gold or silver at the moment acording to someones post thats locked.

I have seen posts from a "PR" person - why isn't there more information coming out of them? 

Why are they not explaining, to the paying customer, why what they pay for is running sub-par for so many?  And not just in some forum post, use email. There are a lot of people that don't read or know how to use the forums.  Look at how many new threads there are for the same "out of memory" crashes as proof of my point.

Are they collecting information from crash prone systems for a debugging team?  Do they have a debugging person?  Are they collecting information from working systems to compare the difference?  Can the PR person provide a list of what is being worked on in more detail than "general bug fixes"?  Can they stop introducing more content (bugs) until they figure out and fix the ones that already hamper the game?

My computer seems not to suffer from most of the ailments I read about and it's not high end - but I don't play on a pvp server and other than animals in the surrounding deeds my local population is very low (less than 5) most of the time.  I can run high settings with animations and huge render distance and get over 60 fps after initial loading stabilizes.  Every once in a while I get a "server can't update your position, move slower" error when traveling cross country in my cart, but I can't remember the last time I crashed.  I do occasionally get the refresh bug but it usually clears up fairly quickly. 

I run a single client that usually uses over 1.2 gb of ram but the game never really taxes my video card (AMD Radeon HD6850).  In my non-programmer mind that sounds like some sort of program bloat.  I used to play Eve and could run three or four clients in that same amount of memory.  I thought the whole reason for using Java was to not have so many platform variable problems?

I don't have a problem with the new price, but like many others expect better communication, support and faster bug fixes for the money.

• Like 3

Now its expensive, has animations, but you need a super computer to use them. I agree with the OP tbh.

Even with a super computer you won't be able to run it smooth on high graphics. Especialy in pvp or if someone is leading a horse behind a boat

I didn't play much before the prem cost increase, but i still kept my account premmed when i just wanted to log in and talk, and so that the people with my account hash could log in and mine if they so wanted too, when i saw the prem cost increase i sold my account because i just couldn't see paying that much money for how much time i spend on the game

If it was lowered to what it was before id likely prem up another account to log in sometimes.

I'd do the same. If it was cheaper, I'd likely keep an account active simply to log in and ###### with friends. The price increase was one of the reasons I sold my account, albeit a small reason. It still played a factor.

Bug testers? There is major bugs with pmks that cost 100e to found and they wouldnt even fix em.

I can name 10-20 more I have reported myself that still aren't fixed after a loooooong time.

Im positive others are know of some too. lol

• Like 1

game never really taxes my video card (AMD Radeon HD6850).  In my non-programmer mind that sounds like some sort of program bloat.

That is supposed to change with 1.1 version. I hope, because my PC has low-end CPU, and not-bad GPU (almost idle now). Directly after 1.0 it was almost unplayable for me, but it gradually improves...

About the price: I payed for two accounts, even when I'm able to play only one at the time, but now I pay for just one. Wurm is great, but I can't afford two accounts anymore :(

Edited by Hula_Girl

My main is mag priest and I like him but due to his limitations and now only being able to pay for one account I can see him unpreming soon. And saying your putting a price up due to the fact you can't prove that I'm not European is bull****. it's very easy to set up a demographic of where your players are by Thier ISP alone.

How about you let us prove what country we play from. 3 forms of identification when we pay for prem to decide what fee you charge. And I might just keep both my toons. If I can't keep my priest I probably won't play anymore. Icant say I'll stay away forever, but I can say it will be rare for me to prem now.

Bug testers? There is major bugs with pmks that cost 100e to found and they wouldnt even fix em.

I can name 10-20 more I have reported myself that still aren't fixed after a loooooong time.

Im positive others are know of some too. lol

There are still a couple bugs around that I remember reporting 5+ years ago.

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Tpikol, May 31, 2013 - Edited to nothing
Hidden by Tpikol, May 31, 2013 - Edited to nothing

Edit: meh

Edited by Kirtah

And saying your putting a price up due to the fact you can't prove that I'm not European is bull****.

Regardless, the price increase is disproportionate to the extra tax payments anyway. I've just resubscribed to see some of the great new features and changes, and was going to recommend that my friends who I used to play with do the same. At this price, I just can't give that recommendation.

I hope that the extra money is going to expedite new content and bugfixes, or it just wont be worth it.

Edited by Shardivh