Sign in to follow this  
MasterEntaro

Animal Taming Difficulty

So after trying to tame a mature greenish unicorn at 58.5 animal taming (w/ animal trainer title active) and failing badly 10 times in a row (gave up after that 'cause they hurt) I'm a little worried about how difficult it will be to tame a hell-horse at 70.  

According to the wiki champ unicorns should be able to be tamed at 50 and I was going a greenish one that wasn't very old to increase the difficulty but still managed to fail horribly.  Normally when you fail the mobs just ignore you whereas the unicorn attacked me every time so it was a bad fail.

Now according to the wiki just a normal hell horse requires 70 animal taming...

How difficult can I expect it to be to tame a hellhorse (of a rideable age) at 70 animal taming?

Edited by MasterEntaro

A brown bear knocked me on my butt repeatedly last night.  I nearly died twice, I was able to kite it to a safe place so was able to step away when needed.
Skill:  Over 21 

Defensive 

Unarmed

High QL fish & meat  (over 70ql herrings & perch)

Took me the better part of an hour to get her tamed.

Deer, over 5 attempts as well using 36ql seeds

Not sure if taming has been tweaked, but never had these issues before.

40 taming, the uni I had tamed just fine at 35 seemed to decide he didnt like me anymore when I went to test if riding them had been fixed. Wouldnt be surprised if there's been a ninja nerf.

Yeah, I tamed a lurking unicorns without too much trouble at 34 animal taming, not sure why the greenish at 58 was being such a jerk.  I suspect a ninja nerf as well. :(

Edited by MasterEntaro

Gotta love ninja nerfs. Guess we're still .9/beta testing this game.

When is the 1.0 release, again?

the wiki on taming is so far from correct about taming that its funny. i don't know if it was correct at one point, but in the 2 years i've had taming skill, 50 was never the skill that you could tame a champ unicorn at. i can easily tame hell horses with 70 taming, so i don't think you have to worry much there. when they were first added in i remember hearing people with 50 taming getting them tame fairly easy as well.

the wiki on taming is so far from correct about taming that its funny. i don't know if it was correct at one point, but in the 2 years i've had taming skill, 50 was never the skill that you could tame a champ unicorn at. i can easily tame hell horses with 70 taming, so i don't think you have to worry much there. when they were first added in i remember hearing people with 50 taming getting them tame fairly easy as well.

Good to know, I'll give it a shot on the weekend w/ 58.

Keep in mind age plays a large factor. You can tame young or adol champ unicorn/crocodile with 50 AT, but anything older is almost impossible.

Also I believe QL of the taming item doesn't help your chance to tame. It only affects the timer.

Keep in mind age plays a large factor. You can tame young or adol champ unicorn/crocodile with 50 AT, but anything older is almost impossible.

Already mentioned that in my first post, plus it was a greenish not a champ and my skill was a fair bit higher than 50 AT.  Would have expected some fails but not 10 bad fails (where the mob attacks you instead of ignores you).

I was going a greenish one that wasn't very old to increase the difficulty but still managed to fail horribly.  Normally when you fail the mobs just ignore you whereas the unicorn attacked me every time so it was a bad fail.

No need to 'correct' me about it. It's just additional information. If it's not young or adol, don't even bother trying.

Gotta love ninja nerfs. Guess we're still .9/beta testing this game.

When is the 1.0 release, again?

Except it probably didn't get ninja nerfed.

Over a year ago, I had 50+ taming on Epic (75 effective), and I still couldn't tame champion unicorns (I gave up after 20-40 tries). I can tame normal unicorns within a few tries. I doubt greenish unicorns are very far off from champion unicorns.

I got about 60 taming now on Epic and taming hell horses takes no more than a few tries.

At 58 taming or so I was able to tame a Hell Horse first try. I believe it was Aged. I now have 60, and on average it takes me roughly 5 times, at MOST, to tame a Hell Horse of any age. :)

I originally wanted 70 just for this, but I might just be doing it now for the title. :P

Also, this is on Independence. And note, I do use 80QL+ seeds/grains to tame my Hell Horse with.

Edited by Xallo

Alright, tamed a venerable hell horse with pumpkin seeds within about 3 tries at 58.5 animal taming.

I tried taming a venerable fat unicorn about 15 times and had no luck using grass and seeds.  I think they may have been ninja nerfed once they made them rideable. I'll try again when I find some younger ones.

Edited by MasterEntaro

Ah good, so I wont need to grind all the way to 70 to have my hell horse ranch. Jeepers, this thread is becoming pretty invaluable.

And another note, don't go out expecting to bring back a couple hell horses with you unless you have multiple chars that can charm/tame them because even when you lead them you'll attack them. :(  Looks like I'm going to have to convert the area by me into steppe.

Anyone got any tips for grinding 50-60? Doing 40-50 on an aged greenish brown bear and am happy with the gains (up to 46.5 so far) but would like to know what to get next. Crocs?

The taming levels in the wiki are more along the lines of suggestions, let alone outdated suggestions.

Sometimes you can just get lucky.

The taming levels in the wiki are more along the lines of suggestions, let alone outdated suggestions.

Sometimes you can just get lucky.

Nah, found an aged hell-horse again today and tamed it first try.

Anyone got any tips for grinding 50-60? Doing 40-50 on an aged greenish brown bear and am happy with the gains (up to 46.5 so far) but would like to know what to get next. Crocs?

Honestly, tame easier stuff like horses/dogs.  You only gain skill on successful tames.