Sign in to follow this  
Seviago

Y U Nerf Rare?

with the 'bugfix' of hatchets pickaxe etc giving +1ql product from rare rolf included a nerf to items past 90ql.

Anything above 90ql will result in only a +00.01ql increase. Everything below will get a full +1ql increase.

Above 90ql is exactly where the +1ql of a rare is most useful. From 90 and beyond it becomes incredibly more difficult to increase skill. This is what made these rare tools so useful and great!  Essentially the rare, supreme, fantastic tools, are useless to those with 90+ skill/materials.  A rare tool imps only 0.1s faster (11.9s instead of 12.0s). I often wondered if it was supposed to be a full second and just bugged.

In anycase, Undo the nerf plox. I know i'm not the only one who spent weeks trying and failing to create rare tools and in a single update they are all useless.

Edited by Seviago
  • Like 14

Nerf your grammer please, it's horrid and needs fixing...

• Like 1

Surely you mean buff?

BUt definately agree that rare should still do more than .01 above 90ql. I think most of us would be happy for .5 over 90ql if there are reasons not to have the full 1ql. 

• Like 1

Grammar*

I believe the main reason Rolf made this decision (assuming still, its not a bug) was that he doesn't want to see 100ql items. On epic its easy enough for a dedicated player to get 99ql something. With a rare, you can then get 100ql ropes,locks, etc. I think this was an attempt to prevent that.

If this is really the reason behind the change, I suggest the limit be placed at 99ql instead of 90ql. On epic this would mean the only way you could acquire a 100ql item is with 99 skill (effective 99.99 skill).  

I support this, or at least a compromise. If a whole integer is absolutely too much, I would still be happy with 0.5 instead of a whole in all honesty.

Do you have inside knowledge to share that this is a nerf and not just an unintended bug? You know, these have happened a few times over the years.

• Like 4

That is the reason I added briefly the comment of "assuming still, it is not a bug"

I do not doubt it may be bugged. In changing the hatchet pickaxe shovels...he may have altered the rare code and accidently affected all. Or perhaps he took this opportunity to 'balance' the rares for whatever reason he believed neccesary.

Either way I hope to have the issue addressed and discussed to provide insight as to why such a change occured, bug or intended. If intended, explanation as to why is nice so we can offer feedback based on the intention expressed as the reason for change.

Well i understand why this is done and as a smith who likes nice iron and i assume this applies to mining too its a shame we still cant get 100ql iron then. BUT i do see why they did it, it makes it very powerful and supreme/fantastic even more so. The old way was fine anyway (when it was still capped by skill). 90 to 91ql may not be a big deal but 98 to 99 is....so if they want it so skill does not cap it then why not put a curve on 90+ or the whole range which only takes big effect at 85-90+

• Like 2

I hope they fix this.... 'dis crazy let down for me!

If all rares for all ranges only increased 0.01ql I would assume it a bug and expect it fixed quickly.  The fact that its exclusively 90+ materials that are being affected by it in this way suggests that is indeed intended and implemented on purpose.  You don't accidentally code an entire part to only apply to a span of 90-100ql.  That just doesn't happen.

I think all the comments about 100QL are odd. Above 99QL a rare added nothing. The nerf was uncalled for and definitely not appreciated considering the price people pay for rares.

Reminds me of the lamp nerf. Rolf really should make up his mind how he wants features to act, instead of "fixing" stuff years later

• Like 1

I think all the comments about 100QL are odd. Above 99QL a rare added nothing. The nerf was uncalled for and definitely not appreciated considering the price people pay for rares.

Rolf can't code his game based on people paying outrageous prices for items.

Edited by Wulfgar
  • Like 3

Before i knew of new bug/change arose but after the "fix". I asked someone with a rare pick to test if he could mine above his skill and above vein ql. He could do for both, hence i assumed that with a 99mining char and 99ql vein you could now have 100ql ore.

Nope, you couldnt get 100ql iron before with a rare pick, you couldnt make a 100ql wetstone with a 99ql shard a 99ql chissel and 99 skill. 

• Like 1

If thats the case then I wonder what reason he would have to suddenly change it.  I myself can only mine 97ql and assumed 100ql may be possible.  

Makes the situation even more odd that he would without warning or notice change the functionality of rare items.   With the premium price increases we gained an increased chance to make supreme and fantastic items.  The value of rares is clearly something Rolf understands as high or such an increase wouldn't have ever been implemented.

If such a sharp restriction is in place for creation based tools it makes you wonder if the functionality of rare weapons/armor follows an equally silly restriction at certain thresholds.

Do you have inside knowledge to share that this is a nerf and not just an unintended bug? You know, these have happened a few times over the years.

A master of understatement. ;)

Makes the situation even more odd that he would without warning or notice change the functionality of rare items.  

Are you kidding? How long have you played WURM? Without warning is Rolf's modus operandi. It's how things work in Rolf's brain.

I just used my rare hatchet, and got a 92QL log from a 91QL felled tree. I have 91 Woodcutting.

Sounds like the OP is wrong.

Wulfgar - it is true for locksmithing and ropemaking and mining. Possibly others.

Rolf can't code his game based on people paying outrageous prices for items.

If people want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for their eye candy, let them :P