DrenDran_Azjherben

Thermometers

Now we all know the five basic tempatures:

1. Normal
  2. Very Warm
  3. Hot
  4. Searing Hot
  5. Glowing Hot

(Not to mention the ones for liquid, and the 'frozen' one that I get sometimes.)

But I'm sure everyone's noticed that there's a big difference between an iron lump that just melted and is now glowing hot, and a lump that's been sitting in the forge for an hour.

Personally I'd like an item that could tell us a more specific heat, so we can tell how long we have until we need to be back at our forge/oven/fire.

I have three main ideas about how this would be made:

1. Have it be a special item you must buy from a trader.
  2. If glassblowing ever gets added, make the case an item with it, and then put in some wine or other liquid in.
  3. Have a metal case, with another peice of metal and a spring to push it depending on how much the tempature expands it.

How method three might look:

1. Steel Lump -> Spring
  2. Iron/Steel/Gold/Silver/Copper lump -> case
  3. Case + Spring -> Unfinished Thermometer
  4. Iron/Steel/Gold/Silver/Copper Lump - > Display
  5. Unfinished Thermometer + Display -> Thermometer

+1 even though I wouldn't ever use it. Assuming I would have to activate the thermometer, then right-click the item to be checked, seems like it wouldn't be worth doing.

I'd rather see this effect as a passive, such as glowing not being the top tier, but rather kind of the warning temp for reheating being needed within 5 minutes. Add perhaps a 6th heat level, white-hot, which would be for when you have 10 minutes or more before glowing.

Edited by Elen
  • Like 1

Put a temperature column into the inventory gui or recolour item masses according to heat status....

+1 even though I wouldn't ever use it. Assuming I would have to activate the thermometer, then right-click the item to be checked, seems like it wouldn't be worth doing.

That was my thought too +1 :)

The new smelting pot need to heat further the matal from glowing.

This is the example for a good use for the thermometer.

If the thermometer not achievable may better to add as an options which is appear after a skill amout, for example smithing 30+.

Hrm what was used before mercury? Although mercury's properties were known for a pretty long time.

Funny thing is I have one of these, did not realize it predated mercury usage in Western science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_thermometer

Granted it also functions as a barometer, which is problematic.

Edited by Klaa