Sign in to follow this  
Corwen

Devs: Marble Floors Are Blinding Us!

I think the gamma of marble floors that are indoors during the day, with a roof, needs to be toned down a tad? Anyone else blinded by this also?

Edited by Corwen
  • Like 2

Yes, I mentioned it to a client dev like 3 months ago and he said "We talked about it": Still talking I guess, because its still blinding :P

• Like 1

While we're at it, stone slab flooring can be quite bright as well.

Its not gamma its excess directional sunlite that should be more diffusively ambient.  Ambience does not give you shadows but if you balance it you get grey shadows rather than black just like real life.  Any decent gfx engine should be able to specify both levels.   With bloom off things should never glow.   Any lighter surface, even a plank on the floor will be too white at high noon.  At least on Earth, Wurm sun maybe different size/distance.

It it was because gamma was too high, then you would be able to see at night just fine, but you cannot which is why the solution people use instead of lanterns is to raise their gamma at night. 

Edited by yarnevk

at days they blind you, but at nights they look very neat.

+1 to lower gamma.

BTW if you want a dev to see this, a thread title more informative than marble floors, like 'DEVS Marble Floors blind me at noon' might work.

BTW if you want a dev to see this, a thread title more informative than marble floors, like 'DEVS Marble Floors blind me at noon' might work.

Better?

It is all the floors not just marble it just shows it more than the rest. 

Actually not all floors, it is only the multi-housing floors that are constructed as 3-D objects, and this is an issue with all 3-D objects, barrels, bsbs, planks, etc.  It does not happen with the old floors that are terrain textures, rip up a new housing floor section and put down an old rock slab floor it will be dull gray at high noon, despite being very similar texture shade as marble floors.

The terrain textures only seem to light up with ambient light and not directed light , the only impact with directed light is objects cast shadows on the terrain, and terrain does not shadow itself.  So I suspect the directed lighting has been boosted so the shadows look cooler than reality, with the side effect that high noon without shadows is glaring top surface of objects.   Put your objects under the trees at high noon they look fine because the trees shadow the direct lights, leaving only the diffuse lights.

Much better title, maybe they will put it on the 1.1 list of things to fix now!

Edited by yarnevk

I made a 5x5 floor with marble and I couldn't go in there during the day. Just way too bright.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, May 19, 2013 - trolling
Hidden by KaiH, May 19, 2013 - trolling

it's not our problem that you guys dont wear sunglasses!