Sign in to follow this  
camberme

Different Dye Colors

One thing that i've wondered, how do you make different dye colors.

I know using, http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Dye

and Dye's RGB values can be changed using the base material.

• Lower ql base material lowers RGB values
  • Higher ql base material hightens RGB values
  • To change the red value use a cochineal
  • To change the green value use a copper lump
  • To change the blue value use woad

Do I start with a low ql black? say 20 something, and then add higher ql Red/Green to get yellow?

I have discussed this with some, but I'm looking for numbers here, what skills people had for what ql, produced what numbers,

Edited by camberme

Headhunter probably knows best... but if he shares the secret of the colors... :)

probably could go with this or any other chart using rbg

http://www.tayloredmktg.com/rgb/

just change the rgb values using the system in game.

says pure yellow is 

Yellow 255-255-0

Pure black is 0-0-0

so you would want the darkest black possible.

unless of course the in game system is completely backwards lol! :P

but it does says white is 255-255-255

It looks like would remove all the blue you can and increase the red and green as much as possible to get yellow.

Edited by Protunia

Two methods:

Easy method(Older but still works):

Just basically drag and drop two colours together. Always keep ratios 1:1 or 2:1.

Examples:

• Yellow: Mix 1kg of red + 1kg of green. Equal Quality
  • Orange: Mix 2kg of red + 1kg of green. Equal Quality

The downside of this method is you're not really gonna get RGB values above 200 because of the mixing.

Expect duller results

Harder method:

Start with the lowest ql black you have then use Cochs/Woad/Copper to improve which rgb values you want higher

(I used 40,40,40/50,50,50 black as a base most of the time.)

Although this has a downside. Every quality has a maximum, for example 20ql woad can only take B upto 170ish, and when you near that maximum the dye takes more and more materials to get the RGB Value up.

Therefore you need high ql black as a base, lots high ql resources to get the rgb to what you want.

The downsides are obvious here. They improve method eats up resources for breakfast.

• Like 2

Never mind it looks like the game using the exact same rgb system I posted as its says 255-255-255 is white.

If you started with really good red and green your blue would be lower.

Then you could just lower the blue.

Why would you even need black?

Yeah I see you need to have the resources to make this all happen as well....that's the hard part.

Edited by Protunia

Ok, lets make yellow for example.

100ql red + 100ql red (Mixing method)

255,0,0 + 0,255,0 = 127,127,0.

This is a very dull yellow.

Now if we start with Black...(Improving method)

100ql black + 5x100ql Cochs + 5x100ql Copper

0,0,0 -> ~230,0,0 -> 230,230,0.

See the difference? On a side note, You can't really 'lower' values, Yes you can bring a 255B value down but only down to around 150 maximum, you can't lower values any lower than that.

Edited by Headhunter

Ok so there is a limit in which you can use in game mechanics to lower your rbg.

So yeah the highest possible Black would be the best option to get the least blue I think...

I didn't realize the restrictions on lowering colors.

As far as raising colors there is a limit there as well based on qlty.

The main thing with yellow is to get the least blue as possible to start then.

You can use both methods right??

Like mix method first then improve.

I guess it all depends on what Qlty of what resources you have..

I am going to have to try this out! :D

Edited by Protunia

Ok, lets make yellow for example.

100ql red + 100ql red (Mixing method)

255,0,0 + 0,255,0 = 127,127,0.

This is a very dull yellow.

Now if we start with Black...(Improving method)

100ql black + 5x100ql Cochs + 5x100ql Copper

0,0,0 -> ~230,0,0 -> 230,230,0.

See the difference? On a side note, You can't really 'lower' values, Yes you can bring a 255B value down but only down to around 150 maximum, you can't lower values any lower than that.

I have a 3rd method where you take the highest ql dye as base example the green to get the lowest possible blue color then mix in the base material for red (cochineal) until desired red level.

• Like 1

Yeah what Sandyar said is another good method. Forgot about that one ;)

I also need to know how to make light brown

If someone made 3D building planner, maybe someone can make a real dye tool for us which tells exactly what is needed =p

Ok so there is a limit in which you can use in game mechanics to lower your rbg.

So yeah the highest possible Black would be the best option to get the least blue I think...

I didn't realize the restrictions on lowering colors.

As far as raising colors there is a limit there as well based on qlty.

The main thing with yellow is to get the least blue as possible to start then.

You can use both methods right??

Like mix method first then improve.

I guess it all depends on what Qlty of what resources you have..

I am going to have to try this out! :D

I cant tell if you are just talking for the sake of talking or if there are actual questions or answers in there :huh:

Thanks for the tips HH, I've been making yellow dye by just mixing red and green, getting 50ql yellow at best.  Never thought of using black as the base to get the numbers higher.  Now that I'm armed with that info you may soon have some competition in dye making.

Edited by Vroomfondel

My village has an insane amount of zinc so when I mix colors I use white as my base and lower the other colors. Black is the hardest color to get so most of my colors are pastel looking colors.

So you can use any color as your base, whichever you have a lot of, and change the other colors.

Now that I'm armed with that info you may soon have some competition in dye making.

I believe you have better chance of getting good colors on creation and more color raise/lower on improving if you have high natural substance skill. So the formula alone won't be enough. And my animal bits still belong to HH.

I believe you have better chance of getting good colors on creation and more color raise/lower on improving if you have high natural substance skill. So the formula alone won't be enough. And my animal bits still belong to HH.

I'm already at 52 NS, very close to HH.  And I have huge reserves of all mats for myself.  I wasn't just making and idle brag.

I cant tell if you are just talking for the sake of talking or if there are actual questions or answers in there :huh:

Are there ever? 

I'm already at 52 NS, very close to HH.  And I have huge reserves of all mats for myself.  I wasn't just making and idle brag.

Oh noes :( .. then I have to make sure you fail by.. err.. idk.. sabotaging your dye storage by throwing dead rats into em? but that is eeewww.

J/k

Good luck mate.

I have a 3rd method where you take the highest ql dye as base example the green to get the lowest possible blue color then mix in the base material for red (cochineal) until desired red level.

This is by far the easiest method for making combinations such as high ql yellow

I am at a similar NS and I will say best of luck making decent QL black. 

I am at a similar NS and I will say best of luck making decent QL black. 

I know, going be doing a lot more botting for acorns.  But I do have an utmost iron vein and a miner at 91, so I can try to get close. 

I know, going be doing a lot more botting for acorns.  But I do have an utmost iron vein and a miner at 91, so I can try to get close. 

I do hope you mean botanizing there ;) Constant low QL acorns do seem to be my problem more than anything though.

I'm sorry to say but I'm sitting on 84 NS. ;)