Sign in to follow this  
Hailiah

Returning Player Troubles

I have returned to Wurm after taking a break for several years, I played Beta, Gold 1 and a little of Gold 2.

Very frustrated to find that my character spawned on the Wild/Chaos server with some of her tools missing (pickaxe) but she does have her BoK (which was how I left her on Gold 2) and was wondering if she could be moved to a non pvp server by a GM. She also had a set of leather armour (leather armour is decaying by some guard tower somewhere.) but im not too bothered about that.

It seems a little odd that she should spawn on a new server with all her gear and stats from Gold 2, I expected a fresh new character ready to develope, with the BoK and ageless title.

To refresh my memory and learn the new things, I left my main on Chaos and created some alts to explore the Wurm servers. From what I've seen these last few days they have made some fantastic changes and developements, the players I've met have been more than helpful and I love playing the game again.

One thing I have to say is "I told you so," this is regarding the PvP element I argued for a long time that most players would favour PvE glad ive been proved right.

Finally I would ask again please please GM move my main from Chaos to a non pvp server, there is no way I can play from there.

Edited by Hailiah

Pvp has it's own cluster called Epic.

Judging whether or not people like PvP by looking at Chaos alone is invalid.

Mmmmm not too sure if they'll move you over. Won't hurt to ask I suppose. If worse comes to worse I can ask if someone in mr has a rowboat in that area that they don't care about anymore.

As Bob said, not sure they'll move you since there is the option for boat travel off the server, but good luck and welcome back :)

Think Hailiah was referring more to the current players on-line numbers - out off 922 players online, 665 of them are on the PVE only servers combined, 246 on the PVP servers combined (includes Chaos), and 9 on GV so I didn't count them in either roll-up.

Just for reference, when the old pve servers were closed down and Independence was opened, all chars still on those servers were sent to Chaos (Wild back then).  I had the same problem with restarting Vroomfondel, I found myself on Chaos and had to get off there fast.  Back then we had a 2-3 month window to log in and automatically request to be sent to Independence.  That window is now closed and the only way off Chaos is by boat.  Should not be too hard to find someone to either give you a ride off Choas or get a small boat and head east.

Numbers don't lie.  If you check the playercount on all the servers, you see that pve is much more popular than pvp in Wurm.  Check here,  http://gotti.dnsalias.org/wurm/stats-day.php .

Most of the old premium players who stopped playing on JK-H and MR-H ended up with their character moved to the golden coast, on west coast of chaos. Regardless of the fact it's a pvpish server, the exit to the server is on the eastern border. It's the worse position you could place the returning player because most of them will probably went to get out of that server where most of them never ever wanted to be, it will take them forever to do exit the server alone and most of them aren't even equipped for PVE. 

I had to do the trip to the golden coast several time to get some old players out of there and none of them were happy about that long useless boat trip across a large server.

Seriously, just move the return spawn on the areas on the east coast where you can swim out of Chaos, that way the people who want to stay will stay and the people who want to get out will just swim east and drown on the deliverance server.

And the PVE cluster was out for a much longer time and has more new servers including the recent two.

And the PVE cluster was out for a much longer time and has more new servers including the recent two.

There are more pve servers because more wanted to play pve than pvp.  But we are derailing this thread, so let it go for now.

this is not a right place to contact a GM

you can send them private messages.

this is not a right place to contact a GM

you can send them private messages.

I suppose I could try asking Oracle, but he's likely to dump me by a green dragon somewhere :D

Actually that's a bit unfair of me, I still don't know how that green dragon hatchling got put near my Gold 1 deed ...cough...

Edited by Hailiah

Anyone know what the official line is with this characters circumstances?

or anyone got a link to where its discussed in the forums?

Tried to ask GMs online in game today, after waiting 2 hours no one responded.

Tried to ask in IRC as well with no luck.

Somewhat disappointed by the lack of official response both here and ingame.

Wurm has improved brilliantly and I truely love playing it, but customer service / help, needs work, hell in my experience we had more help during beta, gold 1 & 2, than we do now and since then the playerbase has increased by more than 10 times.

Anyway, I used my Exodus alt to make a rowboat and rescued my main from the Chaos server, so thankfully she no longer needs assistance.

Wurm has improved brilliantly and I truely love playing it, but customer service / help, needs work, hell in my experience we had more help during beta, gold 1 & 2, than we do now and since then the playerbase has increased by more than 10 times.

Anyway, I used my Exodus alt to make a rowboat and rescued my main from the Chaos server, so thankfully she no longer needs assistance.

For the most part, the "help" is reserved for players who cannot help themselves because of issues with the actual game code.  By all means, GMs encourage players like yourself to "help themselves" as you did.  Its part of the depth of Wurm that they keep away from instances like this.  They are not a taxi service.

I agree thought that AFK players after a certain amount of away time should be given the option to switch servers before they get back into the game.  Even more so if they are re-upping their premium subscription.

Dont be disappointed, you know better. Oh, and, we love you back. You just proven yourself what you used to be is still what youre; Wurm Material. You deal with it by yourself and you cry in forums. Thats what we all do (although most often the subject we cry in forum is not same as what we "just deal with" ingame).

I am happy to see old timer like you come around, treat those hardships as a simulation of being newbie again, not much time has to pass and you think how wonderful it all was.

• Like 1

Dont be disappointed, you know better. Oh, and, we love you back. You just proven yourself what you used to be is still what youre; Wurm Material. You deal with it by yourself and you cry in forums. Thats what we all do (although most often the subject we cry in forum is not same as what we "just deal with" ingame).

I am happy to see old timer like you come around, treat those hardships as a simulation of being newbie again, not much time has to pass and you think how wonderful it all was.

ha ha ha classic.

Heh, Didn't see this thread earlier or i would have replied to you.

Basically Vroom and serp got the mechanics of what happened correct.. You weren't placed on a new server, you were moved to the only remaining "old" server when the freedom cluster was opened up (freedom and wild were kept completely seperate for a good long while after the change). There was a very long window where returning players that found themselves on wild could use a text command to switch servers with all gear once (and once only).

Over time things changed, Wild was renamed Chaos and merged in with the freedom cluster and the command became un-needed as characters and players were able to come and go again between Chaos(old wild) and the rest of the Freedom servers so it was removed.

Since it is possible now to resolve the issue as a player as you have done so, its one of the things that the GM's wouldnt likely have touched without a fair amount of internal discussion as we dont generally move players around the servers except in rare cases where some form of strange bug has popped up. In the end you probably got yourself out of it faster than we would have been able to assist, if we were able to do so at all.

On a related note, welcome back.