Sign in to follow this  
Aurorane

Food = Survival. Yeah?

+1 Give hunger a little more of a roll into the game. Or at least add so more of a challenge...

• Like 2

+1 To this.

I was just thinking about the same some days ago.

Actually, right now, having a farm has little uses, and vegies are not really needed in game except in BIG amounts for raising cooking and hot food cooking in no time, or for making sacrifices. Beyond that, with the only exception of the meals for good nutrition, there are no other interesting uses. Healing covers maybe? But whocares about vegies for healing covers?...

It would be really nice and a big boost for the economy if they were far more important than they are today. This will open a big slot in the market for people, specially for new players, and would make the food shops and so a popular and really needed place.

Also, like someone said above, introducing new methods to preservate the food would be nice, and very medieval-like.

• Like 2

All you Epic players talking about sieges are forgetting about fsbs.  With those you can store enormous amount of food, so sieges would be just a standoff.  Unless you really want to be online constantly for weeks until the enemy's fsbs are empty.

Lets throw rats in their storage buildings with catapults!! >:P

No. Really. Thats a good point. Some limits to the fsb or some way to attack the stock would be required.

• Like 1

Lets throw rats in their storage buildings with catapults!! > :P

+1

One of the best suggestions I have seen in a while; I would really love to a dwarf fortress type of farming system. There should be absolutely no farming allowed in the winter months due to the ground being so hard and frozen. This coming into mind I would love to see water being frozen in winter to where you can't use boats it would bring a whole new life to wurm and make players actually look at the calender and such for a good time to take a large trip.

+1 Overall.

More diversity in different kind of food would be good. It is way too easy to get high nutrition levels currently and there is just one type of food that is viable.

A bit more effect from bad nutrition levels and starvation would be good. The ideas about food preservation are all very nice as well. More effects, more diversity but without forcing us to spend alot more time on getting food would make it all a bit more fun :) 

• Like 1

Vanya mentioned food shops; there actually would need to be a slight overhaul to merchants in this case, or a new type of merchant (can you say "hireable barkeep with some selling options"?) or people physically manning the shops.
I tried this awhile ago - on my merchant, I had meals for sale for a few iron - not much at all, but high enough quality that a froob player with a few coin in his pocket might go "oh!, that'd be awesome, that meal is so much better than I can make, and I'm starving" and so there was the audience. Something I'd planned to do with my Innhouse in MR.
However, sadly I discovered they decay pretty badly on merchants, too - about the same speed (little faster) as a barrel with water in.
Kind of a shame.
But yeah, something I was thinking about.

Make optional difficulties with benefits. Turn on/off period is 1 day.

Hunger and others.

Mmmm. selling warm meals!

Thats a way to earn some copper.

• Like 1

+1 to death from starvation.

But I would still like to be able to plant in the winter, or be only mildly affected by winter.

• Like 1

-1 We have way to many things to worry about to be messing with food all the time if you want to play that food game look up the game "Don't Starve" and have at it. This is a crafting/building game to more people than it is a survival game it is fine the way it is.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

-1 We have way to many things to worry about to be messing with food all the time if you want to play that food game look up the game "Don't Starve" and have at it. This is a crafting/building game to more people than it is a survival game it is fine the way it is.

The way I see it most Wurmians have absolutely nothing to worry about. The everyday gameplay for every "established" Wurmian is care-free and undemanding, there's almost nothing requiring your attention aside from your personal projects and undertakings after the deed rate is paid. The game was more demanding and less forgiving and overall slightly more survival-oriented when I started playing. Small changes have shifted Wurm's focus somewhat and made the average gameplay post-newbie stage really quite leisurely. Travel is trivial, fighting is easier, skillgain is faster, crafting more pampered, food is way less important (and completely irrelevant on Path of Love), deeds are larger and cheaper. I love all the progress Wurm has seen over the years but I'd like Rolf to take a step back and figure out exactly what kind of game he wants.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Is really is too easy, make food and water required, then remove all guards from non-pvp servers and we will be gtg.

Well every time they do change things to be more difficult everyone has a panic attack like farming in the last patch before everyone figured it out and they tweaked it everyone was in an uproar over it. To me that says that the community prefers a softer approach to the survival aspect of the game. If everyone was upset over a few vegetables imagine how they would be over this suggestion. 

Edited by Kegan

Hardly "everyone". To me that just indicates an uncertainty in the development team. If they had a firm idea of what they wanted the game to be like they wouldn't let themselves be bossed around by a loud voices among the community. That's why I'm requesting them to evaluate exactly what they want Wurm to be like so they can have a vision to stick to, even if it means upsetting a few players along the way.

I think mollycoddling around tweaks and updates to make them as inoffensive as possible is may have dire consequences.

• Like 1

True that Kegan, I suppose any real change would require a large update to be included with. Honestly though the food thing shouldn't cuase a problem. The reason I say this is there are about a half-dozen ways to fill the bar without even using food; also, since keeping food level up already has had a benefit for so long, people mostly already eat and there are fat levels to provide a big buffer zone already.

I am fine for a greater impact on food/hunger but i don't want it so extreme that i am spending hours a day dealing with it either. As far as the winter goes fine i can see that no crops grow in the winter i would be fine with that.

I guess i am just not seeing how you can make the game more about food and survival without changing the game completely. Does that mean that it is so hard to get food that is kills everything else? I just don't see it being a viable option at this point to make it about survival. The way it is now we can grow and have thousands of extra food stocks to sell so how do we go from that down to nothing and have to "work " to survive?

Edited by Kegan

One big thing on my mind has been "why isn't food more important?"

easy

because noobs dont like it

Edited by Johnston2
  • Like 1

+1 to this idea. I don't generally eat in-game, because I just don't find it that beneficial, which means I rarely cook.

If we make food matter more, new players should get a certain amount of time before that kicks in. Just like right now they can get free food/water for 24 hours, maybe instead their nutrition levels should reduce far slower for the first week or so. Enough time to let them wander a bit, find a village, or get a fishing pole made.

I love the idea of seasonal crops, and diminished crop harvests during winter. Also, preserving food, by adding salt to meals. Maybe make a craftable cellar that will hold a certain number of meals for a week.

I am fine for a greater impact on food/hunger but i don't want it so extreme that i am spending hours a day dealing with it either. As far as the winter goes fine i can see that no crops grow in the winter i would be fine with that.

I guess i am just not seeing how you can make the game more about food and survival without changing the game completely. Does that mean that it is so hard to get food that is kills everything else? I just don't see it being a viable option at this point to make it about survival. The way it is now we can grow and have thousands of extra food stocks to sell so how do we go from that down to nothing and have to "work " to survive?

Nah, naturally the game isn't just about food and I don't think anyone would want a situation where you have to spend hours every day to ensure access to a meal. I would also be fine with crops not growing during winter but it's a somewhat harsh change and maybe not the most important one. There's no call for changing the game overnight. I would be fine with just starting out small; make starvation lethal, death ideally being the final stage in a series of temporary character penalties inflicted by lack of nutrition over time (as opposed to the current toothless fat layer losses) and preferably a diversified cooking system. This alone would instantly mean those 15000 potatoes are suddenly worth slightly more; a difference between life and death in some circumstances compared to just a few fractions of a Soul Depth attribute point as is currently the case.

Further down the line more small changes could take place depending on how things turn out, such as a nutrition system with added depth, more cooking and demands for more specific preservation and/or storage options, tangible impact on characters from weather and temperature and ways to ward against it(hopefully with some changes to the current weather/season system)... things like that.

easy

because noobs dont like it

that is ######, a typical wrong opinion that harder game will make noobs quit. "Its the noobs that are the cause of all things changing in the game, blah blah blah".

+1 to TS for general idea of adding more immersion to the game (at least on epic servers)

+1 to smokehouse, it just seems logical this should be in the game

I'm a noob, I started on epic and I play for 1 month. There is a difference between game being easy to learn, and primitive to play. A more hardcore hunger, weather and seasons system won't spoil anything and will add to immersion - as long as it is easy to learn and understand. I was really surprised that crops grow in winter - it shouldn't be that way.

Spending 5 minutes on foraging for food every 2-3 hours of realtime gameplay is not that much, especially with new foraging system. Making a small supply of vegies for winter wont take more than 1-2 days. I fish for 1 hour and its enough for 2-3 days of gaming. I don't understand it how people think about spending "half of their time" for food gathering and preparation - having a BSB with 50 vegies and fishing for 1 hour every two gameplay days is as far as it can be from "half of my gaming time". 

There is also a good thread on weather and climate changes:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/76255-weather-effects-and-climent/

Edited by Ulfhrafn