Sign in to follow this  
KrisWald

Buying A New Computer?

So I'm in the market for a new computer for gaming.. preferrably under 5-10,000 usd. Though 1-2k would be more reasonable of course. :P 

Games I plan on playing... Archeage (when its out), Diablo III, League of Legends, Wurm Online. I also Watch movies via Hulu and Like listening to music... Now Obviously I need a system that operates all of these quite well... I want to be able to run on maximum graphics and not lose a beat. 

Also I typically will run somewhere between 2-4 clients currently of wurm... use to be 8-10... before version1.0 :P I would like to be able to run 8-10 again... on maximum graphics if that is at all possible on any system... I also tend to run diablo and league of legends in the background... and watch my shows with constant alt tabbing... yes terrible for skill gains on wurm but hey I like to have options at my fingertips :P 

Most computers Seem to have the same problem with me running this hard... Fans overheat and stop working. It has to be a laptop as i play in a semi truck. So.... Let the talks commence!

What would you guys suggest I look into buying for my 2013 Computer? If it isn't terribly expensive it doesn't have to last too long... 1 year or so... maybe more... if its over 5k I'll plan on using it for atleast 3 years. probably more. =] I use USB for headset/Mouse and Prefer a full keyboard built in but I don't mind using another usb for an external ergonomic keyboard. =] 

Thanks for your time! 

a laptop that can handle 8-10 wurm clients on max settings plus films, diablo 3 and LoL in the background?

*curious to see what people come up with*

You can buy a laptop that runs all that with high settings for under 800€ (so around 1k USD).

You can buy a laptop that runs all that with high settings for under 800€ (so around 1k USD).

link o.o

• Like 1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230590

This is what I game with.

I enjoy it greatly. I was going to go with the MSI above, but the price difference wasn't worth it to me.

a 670M to 680M isn't a gigantic difference in graphics. (yes it is better tho)

Beyond that, the only real change is the case.

I enjoy asus products as well. I like their feel etc.

Only negative about these asus products is when closed it is bigger then 17.3" so it doesn't fit in normal laptop cases.

But since I don't really move around too much Its fine (I do need to move it tho, hence laptop and not a desktop)

Just not worth the 600$ for a slightly better graphics.

if you want to go for a really good gaming laptop (only downsides is that it comes with windows 8 core edition, pre-installed and he is using alot of power, so maybe only holds 2-3 hours when using excessively)

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VX/

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VX-G75VX-BHI7N09-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00ATZ9IUY

I have this one myself, but mainly for working with 3d software on it ;)

but thats a laptop you can actually play EVERY damn game on the market fluently ;)

you have up to 10 grand to spend?  10 thousand dollars?

Wow.

Don't need a new computer just get a NVidia Tesla they run at about 10k for certain models

Edited by Gianna

we all know computers are our lives... 10k is nothing :P 

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Microsoft Operating System

Windows 8 Pro

Memory

32GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM (8GB + 8GB + 8GB + 8GB)

Hard Disk Drive

256GB SSD (Solid State Disk, Serial ATA)

2nd Hard Disk Drive

1TB 2nd HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)

Graphics Controller

3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M with Optimus™ Technology

Optical Drive

Blu-ray Disc™ RE with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer drive

KeyBoard Options

Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard

Display

17.3" diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT LCD display at 1920 x 1080 native resolution (FHD)

Wireless LAN & Bluetooth®

Intel® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) + Intel® Wireless Display Ready* + Bluetooth® v.4.0

I've decided to go with the best computer from my past... Qosmio from Toshiba. Just need to wait a week for it to be customized and shipped to me. 3k :P not bad comes with win8 pro :( and office and junk. but yea I know first hand i loved Qosmio first time around. That was a cheaper version. ;P This should bring me quite a smile. for many Wurm voyages to come! 

The only thing that would change my mind... would be considering a desktop... but i play in a semi truck... and yea... I just don't see that working too well. :P 

All those buzzwords. Do yourself a favor and invest in a proper cooling solution, stock fans on a laptop is NOT a proper solution if you want to multiclient Wurm, unless you like the smell of fried electronics

• Like 1

I agree with the desktop but i play in a stupid semi truck that is low on space and ventilation... but i really crave the power of a real PC... i cant find a store with my computer in stock and it wont be shipped to my house in time.. :( so im looking at desktop alternatives now.