Sign in to follow this  
Hatake

Smelt Unwanted Locks

My affinitiy is in Locksmithing, so I would VERY much want to use that to get my QL up and put some REALLY nice on my gates and doors eventually, etc..

But I have so many low QL locks that I don't know what to do with!

I cant sell them obviously, (who wants a 8 - 20ql lock? Peh. You could make yourself one easy.) I guess, I just really wish I could smelt them down to make something new. Right now I have a bit of a graveyard of unwanted locks I've been practicing smithing with.

I pray this idea hasn't already been submitted, and I am very sorry if it has. xxx

****(For now, I say Locks only, because I don't want people stealing keys and smelting those too. I could see some griefers doing that randomly for fun and it seems like that'd be a bit of an annoyance for people, especially newbies, perhaps, just like the key appears in the inventory when the lock is created, we can remove the key the same way after the lock is gone, but only if it is in the inventory, or with the lock.)

Edited by Hatake
  • Like 4

I'm happy with this idea. In an ideal world I would do away with having to have keys altogether (maybe introduce new locks that are permissions-based and act like mine doors / house writs) but in the meantime, sure why not let you smelt down your lockmountain :)

Well...with keys being a clutter, I wont lie. Theres a glitch I've been taking advantage of. If you have a high quality lock and click "attach" twice before it reaches the end of timer, you will get the lock back in your inventory, and it'll appear on the door as well, making it easy to use the same key, for different places. I let my settlement use this, as it's easier. As long as you do not drop the lock (I put it in chests) you can continue walking through without issue.

Also, other than that though, I'd prefer to create new locks from the old matieral I've used. Especially if this glitch is going to be fixed in the 1.1 update.

Also, I'm not sure how picking that lock would go. If you picked one, would you pick all? Interesting glitch indeed.

Anyway though, that aside, I really would loove to smelt these locks into some nice iron.

Sorry :P I dont want to break any rules. I just joined this morning and I'm sorry for any issue i may have caused.

Edited by Hatake

i've filled about 20 tiles with 100 lockpicks in my village, a way of getting rid of these easier would be nice..

i've filled about 20 tiles with 100 lockpicks in my village, a way of getting rid of these easier would be nice..

Trash bin

Well...with keys being a clutter, I wont lie. Theres a glitch I've been taking advantage of. If you have a high quality lock and click "attach" twice before it reaches the end of timer, you will get the lock back in your inventory, and it'll appear on the door as well, making it easy to use the same key, for different places. I let my settlement use this, as it's easier. As long as you do not drop the lock (I put it in chests) you can continue walking through without issue.

Also, other than that though, I'd prefer to create new locks from the old matieral I've used. Especially if this glitch is going to be fixed in the 1.1 update.

Also, I'm not sure how picking that lock would go. If you picked one, would you pick all? Interesting glitch indeed.

Anyway though, that aside, I really would loove to smelt these locks into some nice iron.

First, you may not wish to say outloud that you are taking advantage of a glitch, and second, exploiting a glitch would be a bannable offense if I remember correctly.

Now as to the OP, yes,  an easier way to dispose of locks would be a good addition. You also have the ability to use a trash heap, you wrap the with a wood scrap and put it into the trash heap and only then will it decay I believe.

Edited by Shrimpiie
  • Like 1

I refer to locks as priest candy. Make a bunch of cauldrons, fill them with locks, and give them to a priest. The priest can throw them in their altar, sacrifice them in huge batches, and refill their favor. This is especially great for Magranon priests who get double favor from sacrificing locks, but every priest loves cauldrons full of locks.

Don't throw locks out. Priests will love you for them. If you are on Epic I would be more than glad to take every single unwanted lock you produce.

Infact I'll consider myself as owing you a favor.

Anyway -1 to this idea. The thought of people smelting down locks makes my priestish soul want to cry.

Edited by Eldurian

I'm sure a mag priest would be happy to claim them if you don't want them, but +1 to melting down all metal items into lumps. 

Edited by Sir Arowhun

First, you may not wish to say outloud that you are taking advantage of a glitch, and second, exploiting a glitch would be a bannable offense if I remember correctly.

Now as to the OP, yes,  an easier way to dispose of locks would be a good addition. You also have the ability to use a trash heap, you wrap the with a wood scrap and put it into the trash heap and only then will it decay I believe.

Ach, sorry, I've only taken advantage of it when I found out yesterday, (I have also only joined this morning, so sorry anyway)

The reason I made this post was because of the fact that I do not want to use that advantage mainly because I think there'd be something to go wrong wtih that. I would not appreciate someone breaking in because of that glitch, (hence in the previous post, I said "if one person picks a lock, does it pick all?" I dont want to use it.)

I would just appreciate being able to smelt locks in my own creation to continue practicing with them.

The idea of throwing them away sounds a bit...silly? It's made of iron, it should be able to melt.

Sac them for rarity window or favor for ur priest whats the problem? If u dont want something just sac it

Sac them for rarity window or favor for ur priest whats the problem? If u dont want something just sac it

It's made of iron, common sense would be that you could smelt it - shouldn't have to sac it to a priest whom isn't nearby.

It's made of iron, common sense would be that you could smelt it - shouldn't have to sac it to a priest whom isn't nearby.

U dont need too be a priest to sac for rarity window just have 10 faith in a religion. And if u dont have a prist nearby wait and store it for a while

If we are aware you have the locks and your asking price isn't that steep, we will come to you.

Locks fuel favor, and favor fuels spells. Spells are our greatest asset and the way we raise our chief skill... channeling.

And locks range from an ok to GREAT favor source depending on the QL and quantity. Even low QL locks in large numbers are pretty exciting to us.

This isn't like a "meh... I can take those off your hand for you..." kind of thing. This is more like a, "LOCKS!!!!! I'LL TAKE AS MANY AS YOU CAN MAKE!!!!!" thing.

Edited by Eldurian

I'm still up for the idea, and though I've seen this offered up a few times I think it's a bit silly that it's been shot down so many.
Grats on getting into the forums, Hat hon. :P

At the -very- least, let me smelt some of it back. Isn't it just door locks you Mag priests like, or have I just read that wrong? haha :P
Also did someone mention a keychain of some sort?
All sorts of +1's to that.

****(For now, I say Locks only, because I don't want people stealing keys and smelting those too.

Why even bother with omitting keys via this method? It's simple enough for anyone, griefers included, to wrap a key and burn it.

More over, why even bother with isolating this feature to locks? Smelting in general should be able to recoup raw material with a material and QL loss - 50% material and 50% QL of the original item, just as an example.

What do.you mean sacrifice for a rarity einfoe? You get an increased chance at a rare item if you sacrifice things?

Edited by Roan

What do.you mean sacrifice for a rarity einfoe? You get an increased chance at a rare item if you sacrifice things?

Yeah its called rarity window. U can check the time of the window at Ur settlement token and this timer is capped at 10 secs i believe...

My affinitiy is in Locksmithing, so I would VERY much want to use that to get my QL up and put some REALLY nice on my gates and doors eventually, etc..

But I have so many low QL locks that I don't know what to do with!

I cant sell them obviously, (who wants a 8 - 20ql lock? Peh. You could make yourself one easy.) I guess, I just really wish I could smelt them down to make something new. Right now I have a bit of a graveyard of unwanted locks I've been practicing smithing with.

I pray this idea hasn't already been submitted, and I am very sorry if it has. xxx

****(For now, I say Locks only, because I don't want people stealing keys and smelting those too. I could see some griefers doing that randomly for fun and it seems like that'd be a bit of an annoyance for people, especially newbies, perhaps, just like the key appears in the inventory when the lock is created, we can remove the key the same way after the lock is gone, but only if it is in the inventory, or with the lock.)

Priests, sell them to priests!!!

Isn't it just door locks you Mag priests like, or have I just read that wrong?

I'm not even a Mag priest, I'm a Fo priest. Mag get a bonus to door locks but other priests like them too because of the fact they have a high trader value and are easy to mass produce. Both our bonus items require growing cotton which is much harder to produce in large quantities than iron.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Base_Price

As you can see there boat locks are actually worth more than door locks and padlocks have half the value. No priest is going to object to either. We don't have to sacrifice them one at a time. We can sacrifice as many fit in our altar.

Edited by Eldurian

Oh, interesting. Faithwise, is one more specific to gains?
Curious now, lol. Off-topic a bit, I know. <_<

Saccing items never gives faith gains. That comes from prayer and sermons.

Mag gets double favor from doorlocks.

Vynora from yo-yo's.

Fo from square pieces of cloth.

You can get good gains from a wide variety of items (including locks) on any priest though.

Would still like the option to smelt if needed. Iron is handy. :P