Sign in to follow this  
Crustyfoot

Sea Burial (Raft Water Body)

Imagine if you will the ability to burn human corpses in a raft on lakes or ocean.

The quality of the raft can be a variable for exponential variety of rewards. 

I know that rafts are material expensive, and for most a taxing chore to make, however this could deter abuse.

To extend the opportunities for rewards there could also be rewards set depending on the number of items (tools,weapons, armor) and there quality left inside the corpse if it is yours (the one dragging the raft and setting it ablaze with flint&steel) 

This would also discourage abuse and yield the greatest of the rewards I would imagine.

Perhaps the chance for some rewards from sacrifice in the raft external of the body if it is not your own corpse.

The greater the effort in building and improving a quality raft could yield great rewards for your efforts to send you, or your loved ones on there continued journey.

Rewards could possibly be one or more of the following factoring quality and sacrifice, Religious skill gains, Lost skill regain from death, slight karma gain

Any other ideas? opinions?

• Like 1

So I could pack the inventory of an alt full of high getprice stuff like jewelry, let it die, then send it out on a funeral pyre for religion gains to help powerlevel it as a priest? I don't see the point.

• Like 1

something that would work legitly and for example once in 3days

would grant some rewards [PLEASE NOT GEMS] or some little bonuses :)

Since the game is not permadeath why?  So PVP could sacrifice their kills to their god for more loot?  Your champion died and your clan gets his skills?

Seems odd for PVE to sacrifice themselves to their god being they rezzed and got their loot back.

Edited by yarnevk

Sea burial would be nice, but I think it shouldn't give anything other than maybe alignment and karma.

Rewards for doing a completely arbitrary and meaningless task? Smells like quests to me...

Mmm dunno about extra bonuses. Personally having it as an alternative to land-burying (with the same benefits) is fine, especially when land is in short supply.

So I could pack the inventory of an alt full of high getprice stuff like jewelry, let it die, then send it out on a funeral pyre for religion gains to help powerlevel it as a priest? I don't see the point.

Launching bodies into the sea via catapult... Would be way more fun.

• Like 1

Launching bodies into the sea via catapult... Would be way more fun.

While this would be nice, a combined mechanics of the OP and Saddists sugestion would be the best for me.

Slinging flaming bodies with a catapult, that is.

I like the idea of a pyre at sea.

Can't see the point of any benefit other than the usual when burying a body and the eye candy.

Edited by Acheronia

Maybe wait and tie it into the headstones coming out someday?  Load the raft/bury them with - statuettes of all their little alt slaves, cart, dead horses, etc.  :D

I was going to day this idea was pointless but now I can actually see some value in it. Item destruction is good for the economy.

You should only be able to burn it with items that were on the body when it died, and the only reward should be regained skills from dying.

However the value of the BOAT should be calculated in. This was traditionally done with knarrs.

I think the shipbuilders of Epic might appreciate it if a few stolen knarrs got torched so some high level who died could keep their skills.

Regaining skills from your own corpse, now that is a nice idea.