Sign in to follow this  
AryaStark

A Few Thoughts After 100 Posts...

Hello friends,

Since today I got my "100 posts badge", I decided to take a deep breath and look back at what I "achieved" and learned during this time...

I'm not a smart girl, so I don't claim that I made only smart posts. Yet, I know that I tried to bring quality to all discussions I took part and bring to the spotlight those things which I considered important (either that it was points of view about game mechanics like this one, ideas of how to get the best results for our money like this one or this one aimed at the not-so-rich player, suggestion for game improvements like this one or this one). And I know that I never hit the post button without giving that post quite a bit of thinking. And considering that I collected almost 50 likes to my 100 posts and that one of the posts was recommended by Rolf himself, I can say that I have done quite a decent job.

Yet, it looks that as I dared to touch some of the most "tabu" subjects (like traders, ideas to reduce the gap between the new/casual and veteran/hardcore players, ideas to change the game), some people stopped using valid arguments, and reverted to ad hominem attacks varying from the fact that I'm too new to be allowed to have a point of view to the fact that I'm not as smart as many of you and that unlike most of you I also do have a mental disorder. I really don't understand why those people felt the need to be mean instead of offering constructive criticism to my ideas, but it was their decision, and I can't do anything against them.

Anyway I already had more than I can handle, so to all those people that made a hobby of hunting me in each and every thread I post and attack me, I have a good (or maybe bad) news - I will really stop posting on forums (except maybe the occasional question on the New Arrivals forum or my server local forum). You guys won; feel free to celebrate.

But really, I don't think that this is how the forums should be - attacking each other and transform a debate where we should discuss ideas, into a personal war (and here I don't talk only about my case). I really think that we (actually you, because I'm not out of this) should learn to work together, as a team, and not one against each other. I really think that any new idea / suggestion should be analyzed and be treated with constructive criticism (explaining what it is not good and suggesting ways of improving / correcting it) so the best solutions can emerge.

Really, guys, stop being selfish. This is not a competitive game (well, except the PVP servers). The goal should not be to "rule the server", show the others "who's the daddy" and preserve your advantage over the new players at any cost. The goal should be to work together to develop a "better world", to make new friends, to socialize, to have fun. To attract new players to the WURM family and to help make it a better game.

I will end with a quote which I really love: "Remember that it may be nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!"

Best regards to all of you (even those with you who really hated the fact that I was here),

Alex

• Like 9

People got different opinons from yours, whoop de doop, welcome to the real world. I honestly just skip 90% of the stuff in here and focus on the actual content, it's not really that hard to ignore smacktalk and skip straight to the point

Edited by san_tropez
  • Like 1

Cheer up, nothing special about you (or this forum).

045117b0e0a11a242b9765e79cbf113f.jpg

• Like 3

Says the person who the first thing they do when buying a deed is expand it. :D

Comon... you know you have that control competitive thing going on as well.

• Like 1

ideas to reduce the gap between the new/casual and veteran/hardcore players

Alex

I always love this whine.

"I just started and the other guys who started before me are waaaaaay ahead of me. WHAAAAAA. Give me some perks so I can catch up faster" :blink::P:rolleyes:

I see this in so many games and it is lame no matter where I see it.

Anyway, good to see someone stuck around for a bit longer than most. Good luck with your more expensive future.

• Like 1

Eh every population has its ######s. Internet forums are no exception by any means.

Personally I only care for the opinions of people I actually have any respect for. :P

EDIT: Don't allow such to bother you.

Edited by Klaa

Here's a quote I always liked "Be the change you want to see in the world"

In this case, just do what you do and don't bother responding or acknowledging those who make this place hostile. Or, show them how you can have disagreements without having to personally attack ones character. Be that example they will want to follow. Or not and just quit.

Since I'm thinking of quotes, how about this one:

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men"

Hey, slow down! :D

I like what you are doing, I see that you give alot of thought into your posts so don't listen to them haters.

Everyone has the right to make a suggestion, new or old player.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 2

And I know that I never hit the post button without giving that post quite a bit of thinking. And considering that I collected almost 50 likes to my 100 posts and that one of the posts was recommended by Rolf himself, I can say that I have done quite a decent job.

I have 666 likes

satan himself recommends my posts

df68e.png

• Like 12

Just sayin:

(...) I decided to take a deep breath and look back at what I "achieved" and learned during this time...(...)

I will end with a quote which I really love: "Remember that it may be nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!"

• Like 1

it's a shame the devils number is actually 616 :)

/>http://www.religionnewsblog.com/11134/beasts-real-mark-devalued-to-616

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you need to learn to accept critizism. No one is out to get you, but bad ideas will attract lots of comments. One of the biggest problems for new players is knowing WHY things are the way they are, before they go making suggestions on how to change it. I've seen suggestions from new players that would undo things we worked out with Rolf for months to get working right.

The point I'm making is don't get discouraged, but check out the history of this game more before making suggestions. Some of our sillier things have a reason to exist that way.

• Like 2

I believe to this date I has only given my opinion to the suggestions as individual suggestions instead finding a pattern of your suggestions and your personality in general but this post you make me realize either you have no clue what you paint yourself in public or you are intended to do it.

No, you are not casual player. You online a LOT, by I mean a lot. Casual is what I call when I get a villager that only online less than an hour a day in workdays.

No, you are not a poor player. You have spend more than 50E, maybe 100E to date, with just one or two months playing.

You are what I call attention seeker. You doing all of these to get attentions, intended or not. Like, really you have to state how many likes you got and how Rolf endorse your post and then expect that every ideas of yours to be regarded as brilliant?

I'm not talking this as an insult to you, I am myself an attention seeker and I'm aware of it. And by being aware, I mean that I try my best to stop when I see sign of boredom or feeling annoyed from the community-- regardless I'm not that good on restraining myself, especially when I feel I'm under a threat or if it is about dragons. I have tons of ideas for wurm but I stash them or just talk them with my friends as I am trying to analyze and see how incubation will prove these ideas to be good or rot. I have legitimate reason to be heard about my idea, but I don't blabber claim about it...

I advice to learn how to restrain your speeches and ideas as they mean nothing now. Here is some ideas on how you can improve your ideas acceptance rate:

- Spare more thinking time to incubate them, a month or two will do

- Too much ideas at once overwhelm people, better responses come from focused minds so limit the amount of ideas you post. One per week is decent, one per 2-4 weeks are great.

- Use logical reasons of the ideas themselves, instead claiming expertise / experience / past success as the only ground for them

- Admit that having an idea is the most biased thing in the world, you always see them as shiny as diamonds until months passed. Because they are the babies of your mind.

- Address the logic behind your idea, stop when you know you are starting to defend it just because you want that idea happen no matter what the cost.

Lastly, a few of your posts are inspiring and useful like the post about how to get 12-14 silver coins or parts of your explanation and theories about trader.

edit: edited the advice part to make it less confusing, hopefully. Pardon me for my bad english.

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 7

Sorry, but when someone, who needs advice about what tools she needs to use for her character, starts making gamechanging suggestions. These CAN'T be taken seriously.

• Like 2

Kind of at a loss for words really...kinda got a 'what the bleep did i just read' look on my face.

I just want to say....and not quote you because i cant be assed going back through your (congratulations) 100 threads by what is it? 3 or 4 different forum names....but i think its about the 5th or 6th time you said you will not post on here anymore...and by all means I'm not telling you to stop....but you kind of lose respect with me because you act a bit childish by stating this over again like you want someone or many to tell you to stay.

You are not in a relationship with the Wurm Forum :)

Stay or go...i dont really care...and i do read your posts, mainly for giggle factor but you do throw out a few good suggestions...oh, and i also have read you say that you cant afford to play due to the increase but did i see you bid 51s for a deed on Indy?

Do you want sympathy from me? sorry....cant have it.

• Like 1

everyone has it's own opinion whether they are new playeres or vets.... the diffrence between the people is the way they advertise their opinions. some don't say a word. some post thread after thread. Some discuss the topics, some just insist on their ideas and keep flaming all different thinking people.

you have to deal with it and don't take thinks too serious. Above all it's a game meant to entartain the players. We are no GMs, no DEVs, we are players.

People always make good and make bad suggestions its Rolfs job to choose what could make the (wurm)world better or worse. Don't want to say stop making suggestions, but only that some might not fit :)

Edited by Syleth
  • Like 1

Removed because it was unnecessary. *shrugs* Nothing to see here.

Edited by Amarie

Funny how it didn't take even half an hour to prove her point several times...

There are way too many, way too hostile people on here.

Arya is a bit peculiar, but you can see she is at least trying, also:

I believe to this date I has only given my opinion to the suggestions as individual suggestions instead finding a pattern of your suggestions and your personality in general but this post you make me realize either you have no clue what you paint yourself in public or you are intended to do it

Acted or not, her behaviour fits Asperger's profile pretty well.

Some people are odd but tolerable but there are some people here that seemingly just try to be as annoying as they can.

• Like 1

There are way too many, way too hostile people on here.

I wonder if you think giving honest feedback is a hostility. Or protunia big -1 is rude. I found except on certain heated discussion like trader discussion, people here are mostly civil. Maybe it just me, but I rather find people that honest on theirs responses than those who try too much to candycoat theirs response yet cursing in my back. It is easier to introspect from honest responds than having to decipher fake friendliness.