Sign in to follow this  
glazed

"doom And Gloom"

Nothing will come along with the same money deal going on here very soon.

I dont have any worries about Wurm going down at all.

You know, if a game will die or prosper always depends on the current state of mind of the one answering.

Do you really see your self playing wurm by late 2014 or early 2015?

Yes, and beyond. Well beyond. And the only way that wurm will die is if another game comes out that can draw the attention of all us survival game lovers. Games like this one are few and far between, and wurm? Well, she's the best of em all ;)

And honostly, if you yourself are questioning your continued involvment in wurm, why even start a thread like this? Are you trying to convince people to not play wurm? Not coo.

Wurm now is a much, much better game than it was two years ago.  The population has been growing some time and will probably continue to grow.  Rolf has been adding much more content to the game recently than he used to.  Wurm does not seem to me like it is dying.

Edited by Johnston2
  • Like 2

Playing 2 prem chars now becomes a bit costly, especially with the change in in game currency that may kill any in game trade for months. Until it has settled again.

160% for premium time only might have been acceptable, as long as there'd had been an discount for multi-prems. Like in any other game I ever knew - you pay for the account with 4 - 9(?) prems, not the full sum for any single char!

That's what is troubling me. There are costs that you need to bear beyond "premium character", if you want to be mildly "successful": deeds, more characters, etc. That was understandable and acceptable (for me), when the "basic cost" was 5e. With prices going up by 60%, IMHO this model needs to be refreshed - i don't know, maybe relax the constraints on priests? I don't know, I'm not a businessman, I'm a customer.

I plan to spend the same budget on Wurm as before, reprem toons not immediately after depremming, use F2P toons more, ...

We'll see how this works for Wurm. Rolf was happy that "we are still here after 2 weeks" :rolleyes:  IMHO we need to wait at least 2 or 3 months to see the effects (will the old price prems renew, how will the new players influx be affected, etc.). I wish good luck to Wurm and Wurmers, and politely ask Rolf to GET TO WORK (no, not on more horse statue models. on fixing bugs and optmization!!!)

All games die eventually, we'll just have to deal with that. In fact, all products and the companies behind them have a limited life span, it's practically a natural law. Code Club appears to be doing fine however.

But I can definitely see myself playing Wurm for years to come.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

All games die eventually, we'll just have to deal with that. In fact, all products and the companies behind them have a limited life span, it's practically a natural law. Code Club appears to be doing fine however.

I see this......

Rolf heard the tax man coming down the street - he warned us and gave us an opportunity most wouldn't, to purchase as much time/silver as we could, within the allowed game limits, before the tax man got to his door.  The rest would have just announced the increase as they implemented it and said so sorry to the players. (I'm not touching the "prove you're not EU" topic here).

This generated a large burst of income for the company which will need be spread out over say the next year (assuming a fair number of people prem their accounts to the max).  This results in a predictable funding level for that time period.  It might not be higher with all those that jumped ship, but it is definite   Now he can judge how much he can spend to bring in more paid development and bug hunting staff.  During that year things will improve dramatically.  

Those that have left will be replaced by new people, and even if they in turn leave there will be people after them.  This money will be additional to what is in the bank and could perhaps be set aside for an advertising campaign for post overhaul.  Either way he has a base amount of money in the bank to work with at this point.  

Will Wurm be around in two years - not as you know it.  It will be better and there will be more players.

Will Wurm achieve the glory of games such as the original Everquest (now running for 14 years), Everquest 2, Eve Online, or that other cartoon amusement park game, probably not.  Why? I'm sorry - I just don't see java being the gaming development platform of the future.   I know nothing about programming Java, but I don't see them getting as much optimization out of it as other engines, therefore limiting players with lesser equipment.  And counting on Java not to bust your engine in some way every time they put out an updated seems overly risky to me.

Will I still be playing Wurm in two years - probably, I don't see anything else out there right now that fits my play style the same way Wurm does.

Rolf if you prove me wrong I will stow away on a ship and come kick you square in the ass with a size 13 boot,  (that's a 46 in Euro, 12.5 UK or 29.4 cm)

Those that have left will be replaced by new people, and even if they in turn leave there will be people after them.  This money will be additional to what is in the bank and could perhaps be set aside for an advertising campaign for post overhaul.  Either way he has a base amount of money in the bank to work with at this point.  

Well, look in the prem numbers of current week. Max Number was 5577, current is 5453. My guess is we will be ~5k in June if the trend dont stop.

Source: http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

But still, Wurm is rolf's dream. Then can be around for another 10 years or more even with few people.

Edited by Zuuma

Not necesarily, There are still Ultima Online, even private shards out there, with communities significantly smaller that Wurm, that are active.   As long as there are some players, this kind of projects can stay active.

I dont really see Wurm dying in the forseeable future, in the worst of cases, the "wurm universe" would become smaller, but I doubt it would just disintegrate and vanish.

I really doubt wurm is going to say poof in ,a worst case scenario Rolf could remove a couple of servers.

If wurm was ever going to poof it would have done so years ago.

Player's coming and going is another thing all together.

I think though that i left a few alts when i forced quit , but thats not really related to this year's events.

Do you really see your self playing wurm by late 2014 or early 2015?

Next year? 2 years from now? Of course =)

5 years from now?  Depends on if there is a major graphic upgrade.

Wurm is very therapeutic for guild leaders from other MMOs.

Edited by leaf

I will be here forever.

Wurm will make it's way for sure. And if it fails someone will reprogram it better than it is atm. Wurm Online as an idea is priceless there will be every time a game similar to it.

There is just one reason why Wurm hasn't got over 10 000 people playing because it is too hard for normal people. The people who can survive in Wurm can survive everywhere we are the intellectual elite.

Edited by Sklo:D

I will be here forever.

Wurm will make it's way for sure. And if it fails someone will reprogram it better than it is atm. Wurm Online as an idea is priceless there will be every time a game similar to it.

There is just one reason why Wurm hasn't got over 10 000 people playing because it is too hard for normal people. The people who can survive in Wurm can survive everywhere we are the intellectual elite.

Actually, the reason why there arent that many players, I think its because there is no advertisement campaign, I definitely stumbled upon this almost by chance, looking for a game that I wasnt sure if it existed or not.

And we are not the intellectual elite, I would guess it has a lot more to do with being patient and stubborn people, more than intelligent above average.

• Like 3

The thread made me think of this:

I will keep playing Wurm for the years to come, no white flag.

Rolf said there will always be a WURM. There were days when 20 people logged on were a lot.

I give nothing on what he say anymore, but at least he seem to miss that old days, he does whatever he can to get them back.

• Like 1

Actually, the reason why there arent that many players, I think its because there is no advertisement campaign, I definitely stumbled upon this almost by chance, looking for a game that I wasnt sure if it existed or not.

I would have to agree on this. People I know outside of the game who I introduce to Wurm have never heard of it before.

Just last night I got 5~10 players to download the game, endure the java annoyances of installation and tutorial, hop on Celebration server, join my town to learn how to play. 2 dropped out (1 due to onboard graphics), the rest are logging back in and having lots of fun, half have said they'll prem at some point if they still play after the first few weeks.

Somehow, I think Wurm will keep on fighting.

Edited by Mishia

And we are not the intellectual elite, I would guess it has a lot more to do with being patient and stubborn people, more than intelligent above average.

I never saw minecraft advertisements...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wurm still around 5 years from now, maybe more. The game is so vast and there's always more to develop & add on to it that there will certainly never be a shortage of improvements to make, possibly making the game semi-infinite..

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wurm still around 5 years from now, maybe more. The game is so vast and there's always more to develop & add on to it that there will certainly never be a shortage of improvements to make, possibly making the game semi-infinite..

Wurm could get the next WoW if we manage to get it much faster and easier to play, friendlier for kids and a multi-language GUI. => In the next 20 years of course not tomorrow :P

Edited by Sklo:D

I never saw minecraft advertisements...

It never needed any, it went viral on its own before it was finished thanks to the whims of the Internet. It's not really something that can be forced or relied upon to happen however.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

...we are the grind elite. No need to think when you mine while you are watching movies or reading some paper for college. Even bots could do this mindless task...  

But all the economics talk in forum is priceless. :D

Edited by Zuuma

I learned about Wurm from an article I was reading about Minecraft. When I read that the creator of minecraft used to develop for a game called Wurm I had to check it out. Glad I did! :)