Sign in to follow this  
glazed

"doom And Gloom"

When do you think wurm will fall?

At a point where the developers can't afford to keep the servers up due to lack of funds from a diminishing population?

Theoretically, you could play wurm forever, if the source code was released to the public. But would anyone really want to play with just an active community of 10 people? I suppose you could make the world really small but just big enough to accomodate the very few remaining. I believe wurm in this state the skill grinds would dissapear with customized super fast skill gains, with players focusing more on building and improving the world that they have lived in for many years

Do you really see your self playing wurm by late 2014 or early 2015?

I am curious on how this will play out, how long will the community be so caring and support the game they love before they lose interest in the very game they've been forking over coin to for many a fort night.

In the beginning, there weren't any funds at all, with the game being in alpha. so I think wurm will live on forever, it would just be a matter of players losing interest and moving on with other games/their lives.

This game has always kept my eye for as long as I can remember. I started playing in Feb 2004, that was such a long time ago. Pvp was awesome in my time.

The Horde, Lakeview, Whosville, Dargaard, Hammerfall, triton, Mist village, I even remember Philip Reichart and Ron Smitts on the development team way back in the day.

I remember when Horton got in that car accident and his wife was sneaking him in a salt shaker because all the food there is bland he said.

Edited by glazed
  • Like 1

Protip: There are dozens of people who'd LOVE to have private servers of Wurm, and I'm quite confident even if Rolf closed the servers there'd be at least one person with the funding or technological prowess to host a public server.

• Like 2

Protip: There are dozens of people who'd LOVE to have private servers of Wurm, and I'm quite confident even if Rolf closed the servers there'd be at least one person with the funding or technological prowess to host a public server.

Did you even read my post?

Yes, before you edited it. And like I said, private servers will see Wurm live long after Rolf closes the servers, just like people still play Age of Empires, Civilisation and Counterstrike now, even though they're ancient games.

The edit only added the few new lines at the bottom, I did not edit any of the main material besides add some html tags.

You're not seeming to grasp the point. Let me throw you a bone.

What I am really getting at is, how long will wurm keep interest for as a cult classic? It will eventually "die" in essence when everyone completely quits and rolf has lost interest to code for a game that nobody will play (2-3 players probably would not be sufficient for him to be attentive to the games needs, he will most likely need to find a stable income to support himself. )

Rolf stated maybe a year ago a ridiculously low number of premium accounts needed to keep servers running. Players will lose interest before rolf is unable to keep the servers.

Yes i do see myself playing until 2015 or more. Wurm started in 2003 with just like 3 people and it was like that for a long time. If they could maintain it with a lot less people then why can't they do it now? This thread is retarded

I also know several people who started in 2006 or even before and are still playing. I started in 2010 and am still here

Edited by atazs
  • Like 3

I have played many computer games and online games in my life, none that compare to Wurm. Sure there things id like to see added to this game but over all its a game ive looked for, wanted to play in for a very long time, i found wurm by accident, to bad rolf doesnt advertise it enough. When i found it, I became deeply indulged in it. No i disagree with the above topic. I do not see this game falling as questioned above. I see hurdles with the game with today world wide economic conditions but over all the game will survive and even to some degrees prosper. When you stop and think about it, The concept of building, crafting and owning a little peace of something and with the game economics it appeals to many and will continue to appeal. I think wurm is gonna stay around for a long time. I think it be neat if Rolf could find the time to develop another game like wurm dealing with space or a western scenario with the same concepts that wurm uses with a few tweeks, just change of graphics and items and such. Wurm is Fantasy based, I think some people wouldnt mind a good space game with the same kind mechanics and qualities as Wurm offers or even the of an old west scenario. I feel as mentioned above better advertisement would bring more players to the game. Suggest some sort of Info commercial within the USA and EU. Think he might find advertising more about the game will drum in more players. But until he can get all the liitle bugs and corks delt with first anykind of advertisement at this stage would be a waste. Majo lag issues and small bugged issues also keep players from being completely happy.

If you ask me the game is just getting better and better, with new features and graphics coming in at a pretty quick rate taking in account the small team. For me personally I play on and off, but I can't really shake this game off completely. Thing is, I don't think there is a game that really compares to the freedom Wurm gives you.

In my opinion the only real downfall of Wurm could be a AAA real sandbox title, but I don't see that happening very soon. Themepark games seem to be a much safer investment.

• Like 3

Wurm will probably (not guaranteed) die when another game offers everything it does, better, bigger and cheaper, not before.

I've been playing here since 2003 and I've yet to see anything come halfway close, not where it counts. This is why I'm still here and expect to remain for a long time.

• Like 7

The edit only added the few new lines at the bottom, I did not edit any of the main material besides add some html tags.

You're not seeming to grasp the point. Let me throw you a bone.

What I am really getting at is, how long will wurm keep interest for as a cult classic? It will eventually "die" in essence when everyone completely quits and rolf has lost interest to code for a game that nobody will play (2-3 players probably would not be sufficient for him to be attentive to the games needs, he will most likely need to find a stable income to support himself. )

Your scenario is unrealistic, as long as there is enough funding and interest in wurm it will be here ,like any game, in some form driven by those that care to do so, be it 1-3 players or thousands, frankly even if Rolf left wurm for what ever reasons and the code was available others would step in and continue dev.

Still consider myself a new'ish player after 4 months of the game but I can safely say i will be hear for another 12months minimum as I intend to use the time/money I invested into the game and journey with it watching how it grows and in what directions, also I have yet to try out some pvp something I am looking forward to down the road.

Hi,

I have played many computer games and online games in my life, none that compare to Wurm.

So far I fully agree.

But I see black clouds at the horizon. I went through a series of MMO's, with Wurm being the one that held me for most long. In any of these games it always was a slow process of leaving them - getting unhappy by some changes first, getting more unhappy by losing friends that had a lower limit of tolerance, then usually the upcoming of a new candidate, and a "final blow".

MMO's are a constant in my living, I love the idea, I love it to be connected with girls and guys from all over the world, having fun together. And for sure, I'd never leave one without having already started another. Funny thing, quite often I have met old friends in the new MMO ;-))

The recent changes in Wurm have made me unhappy already:

• Nerfing into oblivion of some key features (taming for instance)
  • Frequent heavy bugs not rolled back (Champs escaping for instance)
  • Bringing new features in an unready state (animations, char customization, and the resulting lag)
  • And then bringing more new features (multi-story-houses for instance), as unready as the ones before, instead of just doing one thing first, getting it finished & optimized, and only then bringing the next thing

And if I see what happens in our alliance, it's not really funny. We're down to 19 deeds already (4 of these are ours), and quite often there's days when we're all alone in the ally chat. Isn't this boring?

And in exactly this situation there comes a hefty price rise. 160% for Prem time, AND 160% for Silver. We, as well as most ppl from the alliance, nearly exclusively bought prem time from the shop, and had at least 2 prem chars each. We paid the deeds with merchants, in game sales and traders, for sure.

Playing 2 prem chars now becomes a bit costly, especially with the change in in game currency that may kill any in game trade for months. Until it has settled again.

160% for premium time only might have been acceptable, as long as there'd had been an discount for multi-prems. Like in any other game I ever knew - you pay for the account with 4 - 9(?) prems, not the full sum for any single char!

I hear ppl in the alliance talking about other games. I hear my partner asking about other games. I find myself reading sites about other games.

And I don't think it's a good sign. I have no idea of the Wurmian PvP scene, might be they are rejoicing, or not. But for the PvE people I see real problems.

• They'll have to pay a lot more now. (Any with 2+ prem chars)
  • They'll suffer serious trade losses for some months at least until there a new evaluation of Silver to work and tools.
  • They'll thus have to seriously change their game style thus. (Assuming they have blown all possible money each month already to support Rolf, like we & most allies did)
  • And with Rolf's heavy emphasis to PvP they'll see themselves shafted again and again, like before. Brick for brick, one day the wall will be complete.

No plans to leave yet. In any case we have a limited budget, and due to this our monthly gift to Rolf will be less. We'll be forced to abandon one Premium each, and this will be a hard task. And will seriously reduce our happiness with Wurm, you bet: If you have made a priest over years, and now cannot afford it anymore, you'll not sing songs of happiness and praise to Rolf - as long as it wasn't a Vyn priest, that has the license to print money.

As mentioned, no plans to drop yet. But the situation has changed, and we begin to question our engagement here. And are actively looking for other games now, better suited to us, better catering our expectations.

We might find, we might not.

Wurm, as we used to play it, has become quite expensive suddenly. More expensive than most other games meanwhile. And, to be honest, it doesn't deliver according to this. Being a 2nd class Wurmian when playing PvE, suffering extensive lag and heavy bugs day after day, with all love to Wurm, this makes me thinking about my own mental sanity.

Have a good time!

PS: No complaints about a decent rise in price at all - it should be clear to anybody that further development needs money. But the way it was made is IMHO insane: The rise in the price of Silver will send the economy into heavy struggle for months at least, alone.

And not offering a discount for multi-prem will hurt him hard. This might have been the "final blow", or the blow preparing the field for it. We'll see. Hoping the best, still.

(as a completely moronic optimist)

PPS: Judging from former experiences it's a very bad sign if I write such posts.

• Like 1

Rolf said there will always be a WURM. There were days when 20 people logged on were a lot.

Edited by Clatius

xandra made some good points , the price changes will hurt more than help i believe , but i hope wurm stays around for along time

There's a least one illegal "Wurm" server running... or so I hear *looks over his shoulder*

Well, giving you a classic example, WoW (as much as i hate that crap) is still alive, and was released in 2004 (or 2005 something around that) thing is they've been refreshing the outdated engine with some sparly stuff and adding new content, which keeps people invested. Its still dying, but not at a large rate.

Atm Wurm is still quite unique, but competition is looming ahead, and we don't know what might happen. I for one have always played Wurm in batches, i started out playing a month, had a row with some jerks walling off half a mountain (seems like a recurring thing as far as my neighbours go), which locked me off a big mine i had.

Then i kinda felt the pang of playing wurm again, about 2-3 months later, then played a good 6 months solid (yet half of it still in GV).

Then stopped for about a year, came back in November 2011, started my present deed, and aside for a 4 month break to play guildwars 2, have been pretty much a regular here.

I like how you "leave your mark" in wurm, and it keeps me going, planning new stuff and executing it. So i really intend to keep playing for as long as the game keeps afloat, or i have the time.

There's a least one illegal "Wurm" server running... or so I hear *looks over his shoulder*

i'll pay 5 usd a month to play on it , plus buy some silver for a deed also

Wurm will probably (not guaranteed) die when another game offers everything it does, better, bigger and cheaper, not before.

I've been playing here since 2003 and I've yet to see anything come halfway close, not where it counts. This is why I'm still here and expect to remain for a long time.

QFT

• Like 1

i am sure if it got to the point where he wanted to sell one if not more players playing right now would step in and buy it i have actually seen an offer like this already in a post. Not sure how sincere it was but i don't think the company is in that bad of shape definitely not what you are saying with 2014-2015.

I myself have paid my main through April 2014 and guess many more have done the same with the years premium being so cheap before the increase and was the last chance to get it at that price.

You never know who is playing the game there might be a millionaire here playing with the money to just buy it and run it as a hobby because it is a game he loves.

i am sure if it got to the point where he wanted to sell one if not more players playing right now would step in and buy it i have actually seen an offer like this already in a post. Not sure how sincere it was but i don't think the company is in that bad of shape definitely not what you are saying with 2014-2015.

I myself have paid my main through April 2014 and guess many more have done the same with the years premium being so cheap before the increase and was the last chance to get it at that price.

You never know who is playing the game there might be a millionaire here playing with the money to just buy it and run it as a hobby because it is a game he loves.

Tell you what.. I win the MegaMillions or Powerball jackpots, I'll do just that lol

That would be impossible. Are you talking about the failed woemu project? And in response to the OP: Yes, I see myself playing Wurm Online in 2015. I also see myself playing Wurm Online in 2020. I know Rolf stated after the big hacker attack on the forum and website a while ago that he could keep Wurm running with 200 premium accounts, but to be honest I doubt he would be willing to do that anymore. Seeing that Wurm still hasn't done any serious advertisement to speak of I can't imagine anything but a game that will keep growing steadily in subscription numbers for the next 10 years+.

Yes. I see myself still playing Wurm in 2014/2015 and beyond.

The things that would cause me to stop playing Wurm are:

1) The game shuts down for good

2) Rolf sells to some company that ruins the game, chases off all the players, then shuts down because all the players are gone. (seen Sony do that with 2 great games now. The minute Sony or one of their spiritual cousins gets their grubbies on this game, I'm gone.

3) I get too old to push the mouse around any longer

4) Meteor strike or some other inconvenient calamity, like getting hit by a bus, that can really ruin your day

:)

• Like 1

Wurm will never die.

I honestly don't think its possible. If Rolf somehow decided he wasn't interested in managing the game anymore (which will never happen, he'll be working this game into his 80s) then someone else would take it up. There are more than a few quite capable and willing people even right now, and more will appear in the future.

The players that love this game just love it way too much, they would find a way.

I have 'quit' Wurm three times now, I always come back eventually. I've heard that story repeated countless times as well.

Hi,

Wurm will never die.

Never ever will computers need more than 64KBytes of memory. And who the hell will ever need this crazy internez?

Why don't we all play those crazy good DOS games anymore? Yes, and why should dinosaurs ever extinct?

Times are changing. Wurm may survive, or not.

At the moment I see more bad signs. But I might be wrong.

Have fun!

In my opinion the only real downfall of Wurm could be a AAA real sandbox title, but I don't see that happening very soon. Themepark games seem to be a much safer investment.

This right here. Until a better sandbox with terraforming comes along, wurm will have a place to stay alive. Any new sandboxes i have heard about in the works (very limited knowledge i admit) do not have ALL the positive features of this game. Once you have known this type of sandbox game, it would be very hard to settle for anything less.