Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Neverwinter Open Beta

Is this the pay to win game that had its post removed yesterday?

Just tried it yesterday, not horrible. A bit of twitch combat but doesn't feel fluid yet.

I played it for a few hours not terrible but not great either.

I actually enjoy the combat, it has some neat things and ported D&D skills quite nicely.

It keeps that grim overcast environment from NWN, but its colored a bit too cheery IMO.

Combat is brawler type, but has seriously dumbed stuff about it, and although GuildWars 2 is more of a select and hit combat, it still feels more dynamic and realistic (ie. NWO is a reticle aimed combat, but if you aim right your projectiles can go through one enemy to hit another behind it, this is especially apparent with my class, when every Orc axe thrower keeps hitting my companion, although i'm smack in the middle of the projectile's trajectory doing block), specially since NWO has dodge in Rogues only, and replaces it with different mechanics on other classes, it feels quite slow, when compared. But still it can be quite visceral and is still quite enjoyable.

The lore and story is interesting, and you'll have a Single player feel to most quests (only skirmishes and dungeons require a party of 5).

Kinda makes me want to find my old copy of NWN and play it over again!

~~ changed my opinion having played more. Graphics are nothing special but it's very well designed. Think I'm gonna be on a while, if anyone is on the mindflayer server pm me here.

Edited by Elen

I'm assuming that is cutscene graphics, not actual gameplay graphics. 

But I started playing D&D when I was 8 and LOVED the versatility of Neverwinter Nights - make your own dungeons, worlds, quests, crafting systems, DM tools...

If it has that modability and good graphics I might have to go afk for a few months =)

But I started playing D&D when I was 8 and LOVED the versatility of Neverwinter Nights - make your own dungeons, worlds, quests, crafting systems, DM tools...

If it has that modability and good graphics I might have to go afk for a few months =)

I don't think it will be like that it is just a marketable theme to another F2P mmo mixed in with all the other ones. It has nothing great that i could see but i did not spend much time with it either i guess your best bet is just go have a look.

Edit: Well i went and looked and i guess it will have some editing stuff "build your own fantasy" not sure what that is about never got that far. 

Edited by Kegan

Yeah, its called foundry, you can use it after lvl 15. The game actually encourages you to play foundry campaigns, it ha a nifty system that has transient bonuses for doing stuff like gathering materials, doing dungeons, skirmishes and foundry campaigns. It has 3 countdowns near the mini-map, when a certain bonus is active, you'll get extra exp, money, or special currency for doing those activities while at the bonus time.

Plus there's a NPC that gives special currency for doing dailies that are also for doing those activities (except gathering materials). So basically if you wait for the bonus to do your daily, you'll be earning a lot.

I also enjoy the craft system, works more or less like browser games, allowing you to let your crafts go while offline. But other than that, its not that great. Its hard to catch up to your level, and the items crafted could be better, and more varied.

Gave it a shot and got pretty sleepy after about an hour of gameplay. I'd rather play Guildwars2. Personal opinion of course.

Hit 51 last night. The foundry needs a buff though, full loot and bosses. Its a bit nerfy now due to people making exploit maps.

Edited by Elen