Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Conjoined Housing

Conjoined Housing  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the idea of connecting houses together with this idea?

• Yes
    • No

I've been pondering about this for awhile now, especially looking at pictures of massive castles in Wurm that are pathetically split up by a tall stone wall, 5 levels below the houses surrounding it.

You should be able to plan house walls in-between two other existing buildings. The maximum size of each of these segments would be one tile by whatever width the two houses are, but not forced, meaning you can build just a single 1x1, or even multiple, throughout the entire width of two buildings if you want to.

Let's say you have two houses here 5 levels high and you wanted to connect them so people couldn't get inside. Well, the only option you currently have is to cram a tall stone wall or two in the middle of them and hope it doesn't look too bad in the end product:

6f40d.png

As you can see, that looks terrible.

With this idea, you could ultimately connect the houses in a variety of ways, such as the two examples below:

e4751.png e7623.png

The mechanics behind this idea would be simple, and nearly the same as planning a standard multi-level house. The height would be limited by your skill, and by the height of the existing buildings around it. You can only plan a wall if there are two house-writ walls touching, and in order to plan a floor there needs to be at least 2 walls touching it.

Perhaps to limit any forms of abuse and "bugs," don't allow doors to be built, but rather only walls and windows.

Catapulting this would work like a regular house, starting from the top and going down.

The same limits on these would be in place as standard housing, meaning that you could plan multiple levels of catwalks if your Carpentry skill and the heights of the surrounding houses allow you to. That way, we can have awesome crosswalks and arches like the below picture:

44868.png

Please post your comments on the idea! :)

(Thanks Warlander for the awesome 3D Planner found here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/79352-housecalc-3d-house-planner-for-wurm/)

Edited by Xallo

can't you do the same thing with just high carpentry?

Yes, theoretically, but this is more for larger deeds that have multiple 90+ required carpentry houses around the outsides, and have no way of connecting them other than a stone wall. I only used the 3x3's as examples. Here's an example from my deed:

1b01d.png

The three houses you see at the top would require well over 120 Carpentry to plan, but that's simply not possible. In an effort to make it look half-decent, I lowered the sides significantly to try matching it with the Tall Stone Walls in the middle, but it didn't really come out looking too good.

Edited by Xallo

I think they have plans in the works now for adding two building together i thought? Not sure how it will work and i think it caused a bug the day they put it in so it was taken back out. Not real sure if that was adding two houses together or just adding on to one house but i remember something on Celebration at Dark Island that was part of the deal.

Maybe someone else can remember better what the deal was on it but yes the way people are building it would be nice to get something to work better than tall stone walls to connect them.

Edit: Maybe that was when they put in doughnut shaped houses again...i can't remember but anyway i voted yes sounds okay to me.

Edited by Kegan

I remember there being talk about this thing being in the works already and working on test

I voted no. I would rather have an option to build taller walls, as tall as the building they are connected to.

-1 skill is the limitation. there is no reason to make it so anyone can have 300 carp buildings sorry.

Edited by Protunia

Yes skill i the limitation and should be, problem is no one can have 300 carp buildings because no one can have 300 carp skill.

-1 skill is the limitation. there is no reason to make it so anyone can have 300 carp buildings sorry.

90 Carpentry buildings are still needed for PvP servers, so it doesn't make them useless at all. Plus, you can manage less writs with 90 Carpentry planned buildings as opposed to 20. If you want, limit it to 90 Carpentry so you can feel useful with your skill....

From a Sandbox aspect, this should have already been implemented mostly due to the fact that it's a severe limitation that should have a workaround. People can't build as they chose without being forced to gap a large house every 20 tiles.

I voted no. I would rather have an option to build taller walls, as tall as the building they are connected to.

And I do agree with this, but it will be only limited to a 2nd level height, as far as I know. There will also be no support for a walkway, or catwalk, of sorts.

For people who want a bastion with a complete walkway around the entire perimeter of the wall, this is needed. It's silly to be forced to climb down 8 ladders just to walk across to the next building, or wall.

It would at least be a good workaround until actual castle walls are complete, but that's likely over a year away. This would be a nice and simple fix that would add a lot of immersion to the game, in my opinion. :)

Edited by Xallo

I like the basis of the idea. As a suggestion make it only work if the buildings you plan to join are completely on deed. Mainly to avoid freebies land grabbing with massive buildings.

• Like 1

As far as I understand it, this is more or less how bridges are supposed to work.

I think we need multistory elements like gates, fences and walls so that we can make larger gates and connections unlike we have now ;) and they connect similar like the roof system

Your problem can be solved in another way, which is implementing stacking tall stone walls (or other builiding attachments)

If you allow co-joined buildings then that means that anyone regardless of skill can divide a house up into 'rooms' which are really just houses themselves. That is maybe a minor inconvenience that the rooms are divided by an outside wall rather than an inside wall, which is not even a real inconvenience. It basically means the only limit to house size is materal cost and build time, rather than the building skills which goes against the grain of Wurm being a skill based game, as you can buy materials and you can buy time, but you cannot buy skill.

Even with the restriction of no doors on the external house walls used as interior dividers, these rooms that are really houses could be used as defenses that you have to bash thru every tile to get to where you want to get to. At least with interior walls you can only do that if you have the skill to build such a large house.

Edited by yarnevk

I voted against this one

If the aim is for better looking stuff then I'd sooner be able to make tall stone walls stackable. so long as both sides are supported, shouldn't be a problem.

If the aim is for better PvP defensives then I'd sooner we stop using houses for the perimeter and get real castle walls.

edit: but there should be a +1 in there to do something. as it stands... it looks silly.

Edited by Gaeron

-1 for the reasons above.

But I agree with the concept of taller tall walls.

I voted against this one

If the aim is for better looking stuff then I'd sooner be able to make tall stone walls stackable. so long as both sides are supported, shouldn't be a problem.

If the aim is for better PvP defensives then I'd sooner we stop using houses for the perimeter and get real castle walls.

edit: but there should be a +1 in there to do something. as it stands... it looks silly.

This, for me. -1 to this implementation, but +1 to some solution

Yes I think the ability to click on a bottom tall stone wall and select build 2nd tall wall would be a better solution for the mean time or till such time it is possible to deed a new type of writ called a castle which would have a set number of floor tiles which could be sold by a world trader for silver thus adding income to the dev team.

yet this would have to change the tall stone wall top half look cause it would look awful stacking tall stone walls current model with the wood on it kinda like the stone house walls are a eye sore.

I think they have plans in the works now for adding two building together i thought? Not sure how it will work and i think it caused a bug the day they put it in so it was taken back out. Not real sure if that was adding two houses together or just adding on to one house but i remember something on Celebration at Dark Island that was part of the deal.

Maybe someone else can remember better what the deal was on it but yes the way people are building it would be nice to get something to work better than tall stone walls to connect them.

Edit: Maybe that was when they put in doughnut shaped houses again...i can't remember but anyway i voted yes sounds okay to me.

What is actually being worked on and was on test was the ability to expand a all ready made house.

So new comers and old timers don't have to fully destroy a small building and start over they could knock down some walls on the side they want to expand and expand it.

I would like to see a Castle writ for sale on the wurm shop only. Why? So players couldn't use stock piles of already made silver on a trader and so that all proceeds go directly to the development of wurm. Silver that exsist in game makes the development team 0 funds. The only money they make is from the sale of new silver bought and premium time bought off the shop. This type of writ would allow a certain size building to be built on the ground floor so long as the ground is all flat and even.

This would generate income for dev and would give a fix to having to do tons of extra code to try and make tons of buildings unite into a castle.

Sizes could very and price as well but these type of writs could only go on deeded land.

So if you wanted a bigger floor plan than the carp skill allowed for your awlsome castle you would by the plan from the online shop. So if you bought a writ that was bigger than your deed you couldn't use it unless you expanded your deed to match the writ. I would think 25x25 30x30 35x35 or 40x40 writs would be more than enough. Now before you'll start bashing the size I'm not talking wurm deed sizing where a 25x25 is a 51x51 I'm talking 25x25 is 25 tiles wide and 25 tiles long.

Edited by Arkonick