Sign in to follow this  
Titanic

Job Specific Toolbelt

Either have the toolbelt become a container that holds the items you load into them, or each belt has a memory of what you hotkeyed. This would allow you to create a "leatherworking belt" or a "smithing belt" and increase their overall efficiency and usefullness.

You can do this using exec files, then set a hotkey to execute that file and switch the tool set for you

You can do this using exec files, then set a hotkey to execute that file and switch the tool set for you

This. I think there's a tut and even some files for this in the wiki.

I see what you're saying guys. As this is the Suggestion board, I'm suggesting it to be a mechanic and not a modification. Seems it would be quite easy to implement.

I am making it hard for myself so everyone else must do the same.

Its not hard, It makes more sense for you to take 10m setting it up on exec files, than spending 5+ hours making as many different toolbelts, then having to set them up, probably create redundant tools (needles are used in both tailoring subskills, mallet is used in carp, leatherworking, and house planning, so depending on how you're setting up, might need up to 3 of those, or IE i have a rope and my lantern on my toolbelt, regardless of what i do, so would have to do several of those (kinda hard since the lamp is rare) to have it on all the toolbelts).

So yeah current mechanic takes a bit of time to set up, but its not hard to implement, there's already files you can download that auto-set it, but its simple and neat. No redundancies.

Toolbelts shouldn't be containers as ReaverKane has explained that would cause too much trouble.

However setting up exec files might be a bit too techy for a lot of players. So making an in game gui for switching toolbelt setups would be helpfull.

The GUI is as simple as it gets, you drag and drop. Changing that makes no sense.

So ReaverKane explains that making 3 mallet's is too difficult...in a crafting game...where you get experience for it...and that's agreed upon? (If indeed he were going to do the 3 tasks requiring a mallet as well as do them frequently enough to necessitate a toolbelt for it)

In addition, personal preference what you carry in your toolbelt does not increase or decrease the usefullness to another player if this were implemented.

Exec files *are* a mechanic.

Fully agree, and honestly the exec process in many cases could be more beneficial if you intend to carry all of your tools on you most of the time.

The benefit of the toolbelt actually holding the tools is when you choose not to carry them, mainly due to rick of loosing them but other reasons can apply such as excess encumberance. If the toolbelt did hold the tools you can place them in a container in your smithing area or leatherworking area allowing you to move 1 item in and out of your inventory speedily as opposed to 4-5 indiviudal items.

Not saying this if profound game making stuff here guys, however it would as stated in the OP increase usefullness and efficiency.

Edit: Wiki link for the exec. process. http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Toolbelt_Profiles

Edited by Titanic

I missed the 'become a container' part until I read the thread.

+1

The benefit of the toolbelt actually holding the tools is when you choose not to carry them, mainly due to rick of loosing them but other reasons can apply such as excess encumberance. If the toolbelt did hold the tools you can place them in a container in your smithing area or leatherworking area allowing you to move 1 item in and out of your inventory speedily as opposed to 4-5 indiviudal items.

To clarify what my friend is saying for those who do not quite understand:

He is suggesting that the toolbelts be made to actually store the tools you wish to use in them, as does a container. This would allow you to make a toolbelt and store a specific set of tools in them for the task you are wishing to engage in. Hence job specific.

For example let us say you make a toolbelt and rename it 'Leatherworking', and in it you store all of the relevant leatherworking tools. Now whenever you wish to do leatherworking you simply equip the toolbelt with the tools held in it and you are ready to go, and then you may un-equip the belt and store it in a chest or other container when you are finished. Eliminating the little hassle of locating each individual tool and retrieving it or putting it away.

The only issue I can foresee this creating is that it can be exploited to fit larger tools or objects that do not normally fit in a container to be stored inside the belt and the belt then stored inside said container, but I believe a simple check of the belt's contents can remedy this.

Edited by Hakon

I think this would be neat like you could put the items in and grab the belt put it on and go to work!!

Just like real life :P

• Like 1

+1 I like this toolbelt container idea...I do currently use exec commands to change toolsets, but, they are quite the pain to set up getting the number of each specific tool to enter into the file. This would definitely be easier for the masses and not skew game mechanics in any way, only better organize a pack full of tools.

Aye the container approach is fine and has had better reception on earlier threads.

+1

Clever idea

Of course i will support better if a toolbelt profile get implemented.

Lets say the profile number is tied to toolbelt ql as same as the current slots are, so a 20ql toolbelt will have 2 slots and 2 profiles, and a 90ql will have 9 slots and 9 profiles.

Profiles should be activated trough a rigth click menu deployed wen you rigth click the buckle

Edited by KunAlt

+1 great idea!

I use the exec commands, and I like them, but I also like the idea of "putting my cap on" so, I choose "farmer" and I go to my tool shed and choose my farmers belt & choose my other needed accessories and off I go.  It has a nice role play feel to it.

I like that the toolbelt gui accepts items that would be too big to be carried on it, like rafts or barrels.

Currently I have all my sewing equipment in a backpack and an exec switch on the toolbelt. I think that works best. Better even if tehre was a gui to setup the exec.

There only needs to be a carriable container that can take the bigger tools.

One suggestion I heard before was to just "strap them to the outside of the backpack"

One suggestion I heard before was to just "strap them to the outside of the backpack"

Have an add-on option,  create satchels as pockets, activate satchel, right click backpack, create pocket and expand crafting options.

Backpacks with better QL get to carry more external object on/in it.  

Certainly room to grow with the idea, and certainly plausible.  

I would keep it simple if possible and allow people to pre set more than one toolbelt so they could just pick it up , put it on and use it.

Edited by Protunia

The GUI is as simple as it gets, you drag and drop. Changing that makes no sense.

So ReaverKane explains that making 3 mallet's is too difficult...in a crafting game...where you get experience for it...and that's agreed upon? (If indeed he were going to do the 3 tasks requiring a mallet as well as do them frequently enough to necessitate a toolbelt for it)

In addition, personal preference what you carry in your toolbelt does not increase or decrease the usefullness to another player if this were implemented.

Fully agree, and honestly the exec process in many cases could be more beneficial if you intend to carry all of your tools on you most of the time.

Not saying this if profound game making stuff here guys, however it would as stated in the OP increase usefullness and efficiency.

Edit: Wiki link for the exec. process. http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Toolbelt_Profiles

When you need ql 80 or 90+ tools to work and you have them enchanted, yeah making several copies of a single tool will be a hassle, and highly unnecessary.

And yes, its not uncommon that in a single day i'll go from doing leatherworking to carpentry, and then back to some other craft like tailor or masonry.

And while, as a leatherworker, it would be great having that extra demand, i don't see the need to complicate things.

If anything, i'd go with what Keldun and KunAlt said, having a in-game GUI to setup the exec or "profiles" for the toolbelt. That way you only need one of each tool, but setup in multiple profiles.