Sign in to follow this  
Taxton

Legendary Tools With Provenance

I was just thinking yesterday that it might be interesting if tools might gain some provenance after being in the hands and used by a Wurmian for a lengthy period of time. Say after an item gets 5,000 or 10,000 (or whatever) actions by a certain character the item would get a tag viewable by examination:

"The (item) has been well used by (so and so), as there are hand prints worn into the handle."

Perhaps after so long the item would gain some inherent bonus to skill gain:

"The wealth of knowledge of (so and so) has been channeled into the (item) providing a 0.05% bonus to skill gain."

Just thought it would be neat. I would imagine that there might be a heavy burden upon the databases, but perhaps it is simpler than I understand.

I'm on the fence for this one, yeah it would be epic to have my rake getting these bonuses as I do over 1k tends per day, but not sure balancewise it would be do-able

Could be 100,000 actions.

*edit* Or maybe 50,000 for things like rakes, shovels, pickaxes, etc. And 25,000 for tools like mallets, hammers, stone chisels, etc...

Edited by Taxton

Tbh i don't see the point. It's adding another bit of information to store about the item (and would it get removed when they put it down? when someone else picks it up?) and there's nothing inherent to a tool that would make you gain skill faster just because you've had it longer.

You already gain a bunch of tool-related skill over time, I don't think the tool needs to as well.

I'd settle for the inscription of its maker to include its date of manufacture. It doesn't need to convey any bonus.

Can you not name items, if want you could easily add ( Rake of Hand Numbness cir. 1290 )

I've been at this game for a couple of years now. The information would stay with the tool over time and would not get erased when the tool is dropped and picked up by someone else. That would be pointless. I was just thinking it would be neat to have a record of the hands that a well used tool has been in, and it would leave a legacy for any great craftpersons or highly skilled laborers of Wurm.

Renaming the item just doesn't do it for me. I was thinking about something a little more permanent. Though, the date of manufacture along with the signature is a neat idea.

Also, I was talking about a very minimal bonus to skill gain. Similar to a circle of cunning cast of 5 or something.

I'm also on the fence on the idea. I've read of old player made artifacts and thought it would be nice if such items could be made again. But there would have to be severe restrictions. For instance, maybe wait until the item has had as many as 1,000,000 actions on it before it would qualify. Then it also needs to be imped to 100 ql, and must be the first on the server to reach such status (1 of each type per server on each player made tool that qualifies to become an artifact). Could also need some special blessing to become an artifact, and make the spell need linking and a long cooldown, like ROS.

+1 for descritpion stuff, -1 for bonuses

Some other things too - not just tools - would be neat.

A suit of armor or a weapon that's seen a large number of fights, or been used to kill a king or a dragon, for instance.

"This slender adamantite blade has tasted the blood of a dragon - whether its owner lived to tell of it is uncertain."

Or even just a way to permanently name an item would be neat.

Like, I bet you whatever lucky person on HOTS-Home picked up the remains of my corpse with 20s, rare chain high ql armor, and a pair of badass axes all with names has renamed them by now, and that makes me sad; lots of stories went into the Desertwalker's Aegis, and the two axes that accompanied it.

(If not, props! hah.)

Don't really need a bonus though.

Sorry, -1. While the idea is innovative, it's also taxing as it's extra database info that has to be stored on EVERY tool, weapon, armor, etc. We all know how much we love server lag already, we don't want to add to it.