Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Price Increase Complaint Thread

Forum Rules

The following rules apply to all users of the Wurm Online forum:-

1 ) You may not disrupt any post in any way or by using such actions as trolling or derailing.

Trolling / Troll - Is defined as where a user posts inflammatory, or off-topic messages intended to provoke other users into a desired emotional response or to otherwise disrupt the topic.

9 ) You may not accuse or suggest that other users have broken the Wurm Online forum, chat or game rules in any part of the forum. Such accusations should be sent to forum, chat or game moderators respectively. Even if it is proven that users have broken the rules, it is not advisable to discuss it in the forum.

Disrupting the whole forum, eh? Also, by the rule you quoted, complimenting someone is trolling because it does "provoke other users into a desired emotional response".

Hmm, yes you do have a valid point with this statement but you left out this preface to it "off-topic messages intended to" then follows "provoke other users into a desired emotional response" which distorts the context within which it was used. Reading the Warning within the framework in which it was presented one could surely figure out that it was not set up with the intent of preventing compliments being made for that purpose, since even if I were to compliment you for making the mistake of creating a post that was clearly intended to ridicule those who have complaints about the price increases and be in sync of your intent to present something under the guise of a compliment you may have enough insight to figure this out without me having to point out to you that my intent was something other than to compliment you.

Compliment: an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration; especially : an admiring remark. b : formal and respectful recognition. Posted for your benifit since you seem to not have a basic grasp of the nature of them.

Compliments are nice and all and can surely be phrased in such a way that they are more likely to bring a positive response and evoke a feeling of good will in the other person that will in turn be reflected back to the complimenter. Now of course your post here has no such intent but rather to accomplish the objective of the word below.

Ridicule: The subjection of someone or something to mockery and derision. (noun: mockery - derision - taunt - scoff - jeer - mock - gibe. Verb: mock - deride - scoff - jeer - gibe - make fun of - sneer

Now you may think that I am "trolling" you here since it may evoke within you a negative response since you would obviously be in that state if you were to complain about me trolling you by pointing this all out. But others who are reading my response may agree that I am correct in my points here and merely stating facts that fit definitions as I presented them. The others might not agree just because that now have a bias against me from other things that I have posted but by leaving emotions out of the situation and looking at the definitions of these words it can more clearly be determined that your intent with making this post almost perfectly fits into the definition of Ridicule and how you can somehow translate that into a compliment to compliment your ridicule in conjuction is a bit puzzling since you do seem to have a grasp basically of the adjectives and adverbs within the English language.

Likewise within these forums others such as yourself can try to disguise the intent of their words in various manners, some have an affinity for this creativity and others not. Your way of going about it here is pretty shallow so those that can not wade through puddles may not keep their heads above water in seeing this posts intent. Again reread the definition of Ridicule, read your post title and some of the responses within and you will see that they all fit this definition.

Myself I could care less either way for it is up to the forum moderators to do their job as they see fit, not mine, so for me this is merely an exercise in applying words to their definitions and ramble onwards on my little lark just as you are having here as well, although with less exercise of words. So the question remains, am I in turn ridiculing you or just doing all this in the spirit of good humor which you claim to be the intent of your post. Surely you do not expect me to be serious here when you are free to be not.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

Hmm, yes you do have a valid point with this statement but you left out this preface to it "off-topic messages intended to" then follows "provoke other users into a desired emotional response" which distorts the context within which it was used. Reading the Warning within the framework in which it was presented one could surely figure out that it was not set up with the intent of preventing compliments being made for that purpose, since even if I were to compliment you for making the mistake of creating a post that was clearly intended to ridicule those who have complaints about the price increases and be in sync of your intent to present something under the guise of a compliment you may have enough insight to figure this out without me having to point out to you that my intent was something other than to compliment you.

Compliment: an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration; especially : an admiring remark. b : formal and respectful recognition. Posted for your benifit since you seem to not have a basic grasp of the nature of them.

Compliments are nice and all and can surely be phrased in such a way that they are more likely to bring a positive response and evoke a feeling of good will in the other person that will in turn be reflected back to the complimenter. Now of course your post here has no such intent but rather to accomplish the objective of the word below.

Ridicule: The subjection of someone or something to mockery and derision. (noun: mockery - derision - taunt - scoff - jeer - mock - gibe. Verb: mock - deride - scoff - jeer - gibe - make fun of - sneer

Now you may think that I am "trolling" you here since it may evoke within you a negative response since you would obviously be in that state if you were to complain about me trolling you by pointing this all out. But others who are reading my response may agree that I am correct in my points here and merely stating facts that fit definitions as I presented them. The others might not agree just because that now have a bias against me from other things that I have posted but by leaving emotions out of the situation and looking at the definitions of these words it can more clearly be determined that your intent with making this post almost perfectly fits into the definition of Ridicule and how you can somehow translate that into a compliment to compliment your ridicule in conjuction is a bit puzzling since you do seem to have a grasp basically of the adjectives and adverbs within the English language.

Recently I wrote a email to my landlord who refers to a mystical Landlord in legal terms as if it were not him. I included a number of "compliments" in it that were thinly disguised jabs with the intent to "ridicule" him. Perhaps he got the point of what I was doing or perhaps he did not but he could not directly point the finger at me and use them against me in any legal proceedings since I carefully phrased them in such a manner that they could not be proven to be a ridicule of his abuse of my tenancey. Hopefully they made him squirm a bit in frustration but if not then at least I was satisfied that he was too dull witted to figure things out and if even if he was my statements could not be used against me as he continues to fortify his legal position against me, which undercurrent I detect.

Likewise within these forums others such as yourself can try to disguise the intent of their words in various manners, some have an affinity for this creativity and others not. Your way of going about it here is pretty shallow so those that can not wade through puddles may not keep their heads above water in seeing this posts intent. Again reread the definition of Ridicule, read your post title and some of the responses within and you will see that they all fit this definition.

Myself I could care less either way for it is up to the forum moderators to do their job as they see fit, not mine, so for me this is merely an exercise in applying words to their definitions and ramble onwards on my little lark just as you are having here as well, although with less exercise of words. So the question remains, am I in turn ridiculing you or just doing all this in the spirit of good humor which you claim to be the intent of your post. Surely you do not expect me to be serious here when you are free to be not.

=Ayes=

Any chance of a tl;dr statement? :D

Any chance of a tl;dr statement? :D

Have no idea what this means and how it applies to my post you quoted. Perhaps I am better off?

=Ayes=

Yep, I should have just googed it but my suspicion was correct, better off not knowing. Not too hard really to figure out from the name attached to the comment though.

bonk works nicely too and provides a final tap to the noggin.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

Yep, I should have just googed it but my suspicion was correct, better off not knowing. Not too hard really to figure out from the name attached to the comment though.

=Ayes=

I'm sure you made a good point in your wall of text, but the idea behind "tl;dr" is "give a summary, I don't really have time or motivation to read all this". In effect, whatever sensible information or arguments you may or may not have given are now unread and not considered, because it's hidden in a giant wall of fancy pooha.

=Ayes=

actually (spoken in a long drawn out fashion)

I did read it all, three times because although well written, the ramble was sufficient that I couldn't quite make out the main point. Just to clarify things was it

1.Ha Ha, very funny, not.

2.lots of words make me look clever (at least to myself)

3.Sir, I have no respect for you.

4. As (2) but god I love the sound of my own voice

5. other (maximum of one paragraph allowed to explain).

And was the quoted comment a disparaging remark about me? I wasn't quite sure who it was aimed at, just curious.

edit : double quoted.

Edited by Gaeron

I'm sure you made a good point in your wall of text, but the idea behind "tl;dr" is "give a summary, I don't really have time or motivation to read all this". In effect, whatever sensible information or arguments you may or may not have given are now unread and not considered, because it's hidden in a giant wall of fancy pooha.

Actually my intent for extending certain posts into what others would consider a wall of text has various end goals to suit different circumstances. It may be to encourage others to read on further, it may be that I want to cover the topic in a certain manner, it may be to just present a lot of mumbo jumbo just to throw back at the person it is directed to more of what they have given out. I always have my own reasons behind it and if some are averse to reading it because of the length, so much the better, for they are not the audience that I am trying to reach anyway.

I can certainly keep responses short and sweet or sour, but as I said, I at times use a lot of lenthy worded posts just to amuse myself and if just a few find them to be of interest because of this, I hardly care that the rest will not read it. I mean really, you would think that I don't realze that "whatever sensible information or arguments you may or may not have given are now unread and not considered", heh. Even you may not read this response but a few others will and they are free to make what they will of it as well, or simply not bother reading since my name is attached to it.

The term "target audience" applies. What I won't do though is to change the length of my posts to suit others desires. Anyway, thanks for your tl;dr info but shortly after Elen did the googling work for me I had the answer and bonk was my gentle tap.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

actually (spoken in a long drawn out fashion)

I did read it all, three times because although well written, the ramble was sufficient that I couldn't quite make out the main point.

So, if you did read it all three times even, then how would your response of tl;dr apply? (tl;dr: too long; didn’t read) Maybe I read the definition incorrectly when I looked it up then or maybe you were just annoyed and wanted to throw out a put down.

Did I intend to make a "main point" to *you* then?

1.Ha Ha, very funny, not.

2.lots of words make me look clever (at least to myself)

3.Sir, I have no respect for you.

4. As (2) but god I love the sound of my own voice

5. other (maximum of one paragraph allowed to explain).

Yes, you were annoyed as these responses show. Maybe you should have posted this then instead of tl;dr. Ok so you didn't like what I have to say and think there is some type of problem with being pleased with oneself. In light of your comments made above, this should concern me somehow? I think that there be more to your issues here than my post that was supposedly too tl;dr for you. Certainly you do not expect me to buy that you came to these opinions of yours about me just from the contents of that post.

*shakes head*

And was the quoted comment a disparaging remark about me? I wasn't quite sure who it was aimed at, just curious.

Figure it out for yourself. Shouldn't be too hard for a person of penetrating insight into anothers character. After all the "disparaging remarks" that you made about me above, you would think that I have any interest in bringing clarity to your mind or satisfying your "curiosity".

*pfft*

=Ayes=

Actually my intent for extending certain posts into what others would consider a wall of text has various end goals to suit different circumstances. It may be to encourage others to read on further, it may be that I want to cover the topic in a certain manner, it may be to just present a lot of mumbo jumbo just to throw back at the person it is directed to more of what they have given out. I always have my own reasons behind it and if some are averse to reading it because of the length, so much the better, for they are not the audience that I am trying to reach anyway.

I can certainly keep responses short and sweet or sour, but as I said, I at times use a lot of lenthy worded posts just to amuse myself and if just a few find them to be of interest because of this, I hardly care that the rest will not read it. I mean really, you would think that I don't realze that "whatever sensible information or arguments you may or may not have given are now unread and not considered", heh. Even you may not read this response but a few others will and they are free to make what they will of it as well, or simply not bother reading since my name is attached to it.

The term "target audience" applies. What I won't do though is to change the length of my posts to suit others desires. Anyway, thanks for your tl;dr info but shortly after Elen did the googling work for me I had the answer and bonk was my gentle tap.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

A key aspect of making long winded post is to make your ordinance want to read what your write, if you fail that you will just be that wierdo from "down the street"

A key aspect of making long winded post is to make your ordinance want to read what your write, if you fail that you will just be that wierdo from "down the street"

Although what you suggest works well in the classroom and legal proceedings, many times I see little need to restrain myself to clarity within these forums. I do not see this (that wierdo) as being an undesirable impression to make upon people who I would like to make this impression upon.

But I have said enough as there are wolves prowling here with dripping fangs waiting for the opening to attack and giving out too much information in this respect just creates an opening for them to do so.

Within my words then I remain safe, those who find the "key" are those who I would wish to enter the door. Although I find imagination to be a wonderful thing, I have come to realize within my lifetime that few use it to take them to places that otherwise they would not be able to travel.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=