Sign in to follow this  
Meridius

Is A Combat Overhaul In The Works?

I am an old player, on and off for 6 years or so. I have been absent from Wurm for a few months now because, well, the game is very dull.

I like combat, and not the text-based, watch-it-scroll-up-the-window style you have now. Its not interactive at all. I also love pvp, but Wurm isn't pvp right now (that means player vs player), its cvc (character vs character). You target, walk up into range and...watch text. Wooo.

Rolf stated he wanted to overhaul combat, make it more interactive, Mount and Blade-like. How's that coming?

for the health of anything pve/pvp related i hope there is

pve is boring and pvp is stale and a grind

Rolf had this to say in the last Q&A session ...

[21:17] <@Wossoo> Now that 1.0 is out and there is an increased amount of players, where will the dev team be focusing next? What types of things are seen as the next major update?

[21:18] <&Rolf> i think we'll be focusing on bridges, better ui and hopefully maybe some twitch combat version

[21:19] <&Rolf> when it comes to major new stuff

[21:19] <&Rolf> we're constantly getting new creatures and items in the art department

[21:19] <&Rolf> and I want to deal with the Epic missions

[21:20] <@Wossoo> Yeah, the Epic missions were a popular subject

[21:20] <&Rolf> since they have wings but are not flying like they should

[21:20] <&Rolf> but those can be considered fixes

[21:20] <&Rolf> rather than new releases like for instance bridges

[21:21] <@Wossoo> Could you clarify a little bit what you mean by "twitch combat" in a Wurm context?

[21:21] <&Rolf> and as always in the long run there's rivers, diving, ice, waves working weather on the development horizon

[21:21] <&Rolf> i'm imagining some sort of basic aiming with pressing the mouse button a while deciding if you want to swing quick or hard

[21:22] <&Rolf> like aiming at the 9 regions we have

[21:22] <&Rolf> and then server calculations take that into consideration

[21:22] <&Rolf> possibly shield with the right button

[21:22] <&Rolf> or block

[21:23] <&Rolf> but it's just speculations until it's discussed more and basic tests are performed

No changes in that direction yet. Hoping though.

Once combat is changed to twitch based, you will see a huge increase in players, especially pvpers. But those of us who try and break up the crafting monotony with hunting will love the change.

Let us pray my brothers. OH HOLY ROLF, MASTER OF WURM! WE ASK FOR TWITCH COMBAT! AND FLYING DRAGONS UPON WHICH WE CAN SMITETH THE EVIL BLACK LIGHTERS!!!

Edited by Radni
  • Like 1

A bit more exiting combat wouldn't hurt. I don't know about twitch combat, seems very hard to implement in a good way. If done right sure, but with the game in it's current state when it can't even calculate the distance between you and the one your are fighting in less than a couple of seconds I don't know how this could be done honestly :P

Generally people get between crashing, a slideshow with a frame every 5 seconds, and a couple fps in pvp. With the server lag that causes people to never be where you see them makes twitch combat impossible.

• Like 1

Generally people get between crashing, a slideshow with a frame every 5 seconds, and a couple fps in pvp. With the server lag that causes people to never be where you see them makes twitch combat impossible.

The lag is by far both the most urgent and important issue in need of fixing as well as a severe limiting factor in the range of possibilities in the game if it can't be brought sufficiently back under control. Right now in a variety of locations, situations, and events the lag, wherever it's originating, is really hurting the game and it's player base.

• Like 1

Yeah there's still a lot of performance issues to deal with

But wurm needs better combat like we need oxygen.

Rolf had this to say in the last Q&A session ...

[21:21] <@Wossoo> Could you clarify a little bit what you mean by "twitch combat" in a Wurm context?

[21:21] <&Rolf> and as always in the long run there's rivers, diving, ice, waves working weather on the development horizon

[21:21] <&Rolf> i'm imagining some sort of basic aiming with pressing the mouse button a while deciding if you want to swing quick or hard

[21:22] <&Rolf> like aiming at the 9 regions we have

[21:22] <&Rolf> and then server calculations take that into consideration

[21:22] <&Rolf> possibly shield with the right button

[21:22] <&Rolf> or block

[21:23] <&Rolf> but it's just speculations until it's discussed more and basic tests are performed

So, no dev comment?

There is nothing formal yet, but it is definitely a planned feature and something we really want to work on. :)