Sign in to follow this  
Cartrip

Visual Way To Tell A Merchant Is Empty

Here's my typical Freedom Market experience - check innermost ring of merchants, maybe the outside of that one too, then get bored with all the empties and leave unsatisfied. It would be so awesome and such a time saver if I could just tell at a glance if the merchant is not carrying anything. Like their pack is on the ground resting at their feet (that way could be incorporated as one model). Or arms crossed.

• Like 4

Here's my typical Freedom Market experience - check innermost ring of merchants, maybe the outside of that one too, then get bored with all the empties and leave unsatisfied. It would be so awesome and such a time saver if I could just tell at a glance if the merchant is not carrying anything. Like their pack is on the ground resting at their feet (that way could be incorporated as one model). Or arms crossed.

How would this effect the PvP servers?

Just saying they had some thing about draining merchants changed and this might make it easier for them not to take a chance?

the market stall should fill up, or be empty, depending on how many items there are on the merchant that is occupying the market stall.

• Like 7

How would this effect the PvP servers?

Just saying they had some thing about draining merchants changed and this might make it easier for them not to take a chance?

go elevation and find out how "easy" it will be

EDIT: aka merchants are useless now on elevation

Edited by shankiest

Fine idea.

But I'd rather merchants pack their things and go home (i.e. get dismissed) when they haven't had anything to sell for 2 weeks or longer or their owner hasn't logged in for, say, 4 weeks.

the market stall should fill up, or be empty, depending on how many items there are on the merchant that is occupying the market stall.

If there were 2-4 levels of change in appearance, this would be a huge improvement on the PvE side.

Aye

+1 to a visual change like market stall shelves being stocked or not

Aye

+1 to a visual change like market stall shelves being stocked or not

The market stalls are a deco item and not a likely option for linking to merchant inventories, unless they sync on the same tile or something...

I would recommend a bag or chest on the ground (based on bulk in inventory) and a coin purse at their hip if they have funds to give.

Something like this has been on test server for a while.

Fine idea.

But I'd rather merchants pack their things and go home (i.e. get dismissed) when they haven't had anything to sell for 2 weeks or longer or their owner hasn't logged in for, say, 4 weeks.

Already on live servers, has been for a while (although not for the time scales you gave)

+1

I actually avoid going to FMD partially because of exactly this, the other part of the reason being that there are just too many merchants in too small a space for me to want to wander through them all. For the second reason I never planted a merchant there myself.

WRT to the original suggestion, how about just removing the merchant from the visible world when it is empty and letting us manage accumulated coin via the contract?

Removing the merchant would also have the added bonus in places like FMD of freeing up the stall for other players to use.

Also, after three years absence I recently returned to find my 3 merchants occupying someone else's structure on on my erstwhile deed. It was my good luck that the new deed owners are actively playing and I was able to retrieve them from the building.

Obviously they need to constantly yell out what they are selling. There is no way that could be anything but useful.

Also, traders could have a model with tears running down their cheeks when they're out of money.

(OT: +1. its a good idea, and i like it)

Edited by einnel

That my friend would be an interesting sight. However since Traders are few and far between, and taking into consideration that most public Traders you can assume are empty, you safely that that most you come across will be empty. Also it can simply be discovered if a Trader has any funds on them by trading and dropping an item or two into the trading window with them.

Sometimes you're so boring, y'know that? ;)

Edited by einnel

If there will be any graphical representation of how merchants are stocked it should be visible on merchant not on merchant stall as not everyone uses stalls those days, could be different wealth clothes or something while having 0, 0-10,11-20, 21-30, 31-40 and 40+ items on with 40+ items looking like Mr.T with gold chains and stuff :P

• Like 1

Already on live servers, has been for a while (although not for the time scales you gave)

If so, then it's broken, at least on Serenity.

There are many merchants on Serenity that have nothing to sell, and their owners haven't logged in for months. And the merchants are doing nothing since months as well - they certainly don't go away. :)

+1 to Visual aids on stock levels

perhaps even later on we could set a look for them , like a Sword on the table to suggest its mainly a weapon smith

Something like this has been on test server for a while.

If so, then it's broken, at least on Serenity.

There are many merchants on Serenity that have nothing to sell, and their owners haven't logged in for months. And the merchants are doing nothing since months as well - they certainly don't go away. :)

From my understanding the mayor of the deed should be able to dismiss them if they are empty for a while (I recall a friend doing a /support to have one removed that had no sales in 3+ months , items that was on it was mailed to owner)

Edited by axeblade346