Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Can You Play Wurm On A Notebook/ultrabook?

Ok - I know that you *can* play Wurm on a modern notebook, but I'd like to find out what kind of mobile PC you need to get a reasonable performance and graphics quality.

I'm currently playing Wurm on a desktop PC (Intel Core i7-2600K, 3.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Geforce GTX 580, dual screen), giving me excellent graphics and a good game performance. Now I'm planning to buy an ultrabook with Intel Core i7-3517U (1.9 GHz), 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 - and I have no idea what Wurm will feel like on such a machine. Will it be pleasant to play - or wil it be slow and awkward?

I bet some of you are playing on a similar hardware platform, and I would be interested to learn about your experience. Are there better alternatives than the one described above? What do you recommend?

With modern notebooks its pretty much down to the gpu. The cpu and memory should be more than enough.

Personal experience is that intel gpu < amd gpu < nvidia gpu

Intel have been putting more effort into this area recently but I've not bothered trying to find out how capable their current offerings are for OpenGL on (I'm assuming here) Windows.

Performance on Intel HD Graphics 3000 on minimal settings - enough to play in one window, but not enough to play comfortable (3-5 FPS in very big city, about 15-20 FPS in normal conditions). Performance on HD Graphics 4000 should be better.

My "main" computer is a laptop with this (HD 3000) graphics card, so I can switch Wurm into it and make more tests.

Edited by Warlander

I did some more researching and learned that the onboard HD4000 is probably the bottleneck for serious gaming. So I went on looking and found this new machine:

13.3" Ultrabook (Windows 8)

Intel Core i7-3537U Prozessor (2.0 GHz)

AMD Radeon HD 8550M

6 GB DDR3-RAM

256-GB-SSD

That sounds pretty good - what do you think?

As a small computer - not that bad, I think the biggest drawback is the Windows 8 and small disc space.

I'm running wurm with windows 8 on my pc and have had no issues. I guess I'm one of the rare ones who likes Windows 8

Im coding wurm on a 3 year old dell precision M4500

I run Wurm on a 2009 Macbook Pro... everything is great, but the notebook heats up like the bowels of Mount Doom.

I'm running this on a macbook air with HD4000 without problems. I have limited fps to 30 and it usually stays there running at native resolution and maximum draw distance. There is some lag sometimes so it's not optimal but the game looks good at these settings.

I'm not using animations because they don't seem to work on macs so I don't know how much of a fps drop they would cause.

Edit: If you can wait untill late Q2 I'd buy an ultrabook with the new haswell cpus. They should provide a significant upgrade on the integrated graphics side with less sacrifice in battery life like with a dedicated gpu.

Edited by Renet

Spend some money on a gaming laptop and you will have no problems I run a Asus g73 sw cost me 1100 and runs 4-5 clients with no issues

Intel i7 2.3

Geforce 460gtx 2gb

16gb ram

Mine is a RoG as well and I have been very happy with it for the price