Sign in to follow this  
DonAngelo

New Animal Types: Flying Birds

This might have been suggested before, no clue, havent seen lately. Anyways

What i been dreaming of for quite some time..

Archery at this point is pretty useless in PvE, and good only in pvp to take down enemy horses.

It's a shame to see Archery being so "poor" as i've enjoyed playing Archer classes in other games.

So what i thought of, why not to add Flying animal/bird types to game which could be hunted down only with archery, their animal parts would have high potency for healing covers or something like that.

This would make hunting much more enjoyable and surely would give Archery, as skill, whole new use, both on pvp and pve servers.

We do have those Decorative flying eagles now (whatever they are), just add some flesh and blood to them :)

• Like 1

Depends. I don't agree with you about archery not having uses- I've gotten countless kills with it, and I think any long-time pvper with half decent archery can attest to the same. I've also found it remarkably useful for killing greenish lava spiders, but other than that, it does have limited uses in PvE.

I could see having these birds, but they'd have to be relatively squishy. If they could just take an arrow and fly off out of your range, it would be kind of silly. Besides that, even if an creature is "flying" in Wurm, it can't pass walls. GM's will ram into low stones walls while cruising over Wurm, for example. So there's some technical issues. Otherwise, I'm not opposed to variety in creature type.

Aye flying mobs by themselves would be very nice, and as a result has come up a fair number of times. Granted a lot of those threads get mixed or vanish even from archives. I even recall hearing about some recent comment Rolf made regarding adding more to flying and swimming someday.

Aside from expanding archery usage, there's also the potential impact of flying pets.

Personally flying mobs would require adding some special flying unique to celebrate the change. Such as a baby phoenix:

babyphoenix.png

Edited by Klaa

+1 for every suggestion, that expands archery usage.

Maybe make them "semi flying", still "attached" to tile, but at some height. And make them like Spirit Templars (ignoring walls), but they should avoid houses and maybe mines. Non aggro and if you want to attack them with other weapon than bow you should get message "Bird is out of your range".

Eagle Feathers as a butchering item can be used to make new type of better (more accurate) arrows. Pheasants, hens and roosters could give feathers as well, but maybe less, so if you want to make many arrows you would have to go hunt "flying birds".