Sign in to follow this  
Mattown

Target Horses

When hunting, I've noticed that having a tamed horse is just horrible as 50% of the things you fight will attack your horse. It makes sense to me so I just bring an untamed now, but it seems that animals will still attack it pretty often.

What I'm suggesting is that animals will stop targeting non tamed horses, it makes hunting a lot more annoying than it should be.

• Like 1

Good luck with that.

Its annoying, but this was changed from animals not targeting horses to the current status about a year ago, if as much... So i don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

Rolf has some sort of special bias against animal breeders, so he basically adds anything that he believes will demean it. Of course like most other changes vs animal breeding this one backfired and resulted in people keeping more horses to ride, for the need of spares.

• Like 1

if you aggro the creature first you wont have this problem, a tamed horse can also fight with you, i suggest getting leather barding and taming your horse so atleast you two can fend off the creatures

Good luck with that.

Its annoying, but this was changed from animals not targeting horses to the current status about a year ago, if as much... So i don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

Rolf has some sort of special bias against animal breeders, so he basically adds anything that he believes will demean it. Of course like most other changes vs animal breeding this one backfired and resulted in people keeping more horses to ride, for the need of spares.

How is this a Biased against breeders? if the aggros kill a horse people would need to buy more horses from a breeder

• Like 1

I've never liked this change. Even after adjusting my hunting style over the last year, I still lose horses far too often. What really concerns me more, though, is the number of horses I now keep. These days, I keep and breed twice as many horses as I did before, so that I always have backups if I lose one. If you multiply this by a hundred players... That isn't helping balance the creature count.

Could we at least make horses a bit tougher, hit a bit harder? Perhaps make animal traits give some more serious boons, or add new traits?

• Like 1

+1, Targeting horses is top of my list for examples bad decision making on the dev's part. I didn't grind my fighting related skills to ~70's, get high ql enchanted platemail, get high ql enchanted swords just so some weak griefer spider can easily kill my horse.

In my experience their is no way to aggro a mob first (I haven't tried nor think I should have to try preemptive archery shooting) its random. The best way to deal with it is to not target anything, look at your combat log, and as the mob approaches you if you don't see a message that is targeting you, run away. The mob will stop chasing and forget who it was targeting so you can go back and try again.

How is this a Biased against breeders? if the aggros kill a horse people would need to buy more horses from a breeder

How did inbreeding reduce number of horses?

How did Enchanted grass nerfs?

Care for, disease, etc, etc.

Even the ratio thing only affects breeders on deeds.

Rolf just keeps coming up with wogical stuff, which backfire most often than not.

Though Rolf does appear to have a "bias" against animal breeders, it is entirely justified, and here's why;

It isn't really the "breeders" so much as it is the "hoarders". Hoarding is something ALL wurmians should be against, since it reduces our wild animal count. Rolf is attempting to promote more "Creation and Deletion" from the database. And this isn't just true with animals. Take a look at the recent sacrificing changes, which now give village bonuses. I see the same concept being applied here.

If this was removed, horses would last even longer than they do now, and as such, animal breeders would make even LESS profit than they do now. So in a way, it even helps them.

Personally, though I don't like my horse being attacked, I can't say this change should be reverted, as I think it adds some level of risk to hunting with a mount. Fighting while mounted already gives you a CR bonus anyway. There should be some risk as well.

I say -1.

Edited by whereami

Though Rolf does appear to have a "bias" against animal breeders, it is entirely justified, and here's why;

It isn't really the "breeders" so much as it is the "hoarders". Hoarding is something ALL wurmians should be against, since it reduces our wild animal count. Rolf is attempting to promote more "Creation and Deletion" from the database. And this isn't just true with animals. Take a look at the recent sacrificing changes, which now give village bonuses. I see the same concept being applied here.

If this was removed, horses would last even longer than they do now, and as such, animal breeders would make even LESS profit than they do now. So in a way, it even helps them.

Personally, though I don't like my horse being attacked, I can't say this change should be reverted, as I think it adds some level of risk to hunting with a mount. Fighting while mounted already gives you a CR bonus anyway. There should be some risk as well.

I say -1.

I'm betting you have a 5-speed, no?

Yeah everyone hates breeders, but when they want horses they want the horses those "hoarders" bred.

There's tons more positive ways to reduce the need to keep so many horses, but rolf just doesn't want to see them.

There was a whole thread on that, several changes were offered, what he took from it was the increase the cap one (which is great), and the ratio thing that no one ever thought of suggesting cause its too dumb.

Anyhow its off-topic.

Anyhow, either i'm lucky, or you're unlucky, but i've had like 3 total occasions where animals attacked my horse. 4 if you count one where i was dismounted by a bug inside a cave, and the critters i was trying to escape killed the horse after i was dismounted.

Edited by ReaverKane

Yeah everyone hates breeders, but when they want horses they want the horses those "hoarders" bred.

There's tons more positive ways to reduce the need to keep so many horses, but rolf just doesn't want to see them.

There was a whole thread on that, several changes were offered, what he took from it was the increase the cap one (which is great), and the ratio thing that no one ever thought of suggesting cause its too dumb.

Anyhow its off-topic.

Anyhow, either i'm lucky, or you're unlucky, but i've had like 3 total occasions where animals attacked my horse. 4 if you count one where i was dismounted by a bug inside a cave, and the critters i was trying to escape killed the horse after i was dismounted.

Dont start comparing breeders and hoarder, im a breeder and i give out free horses all the time just to help people out, and yeah it sucks that horses get attacked but its fine cuz this gives more business to breeders as they can sell more horses as they die

• Like 1

+1, this change has only increased the amount of horses people keep, not reduce it like the intent was. Also remove inbreeding, while you're at it.

Dont start comparing breeders and hoarder, im a breeder and i give out free horses all the time just to help people out, and yeah it sucks that horses get attacked but its fine cuz this gives more business to breeders as they can sell more horses as they die

Wasn't me that said breeders = hoarders.

I agree with Shadowblasta, there is a well-defined difference between a Hoarder and a Breeder. I've seen Shadow giving out those horses on Deli, and I do have to give him props for that.

As for:

Actually no, I don't have a 5-speed, mine are all 3's and 4's atm ^.^

I do not hate breeders, I actually give them much credit. Selling horses is already a rather tough market, and they can be arsed to do something I've no interest in doing myself.

And this:

Anyhow, either i'm lucky, or you're unlucky, but i've had like 3 total occasions where animals attacked my horse.

All the more reason not to remove it. It doesn't even occur often enough to have a significant negative impact on gameplay anyways. If anything, the chance for this to happen should be increased.

As for reducing the number of horses people keep on hand; Sure there may be other ways to do this, but I personally have to say that this makes the most sense. As I said, fighting with a mount already gives you a CR bonus, there should at LEAST be some kind of risk involved. I'm sure most of the carebear Freedomers will disagree with me though.

Edited by whereami

Actually it seems that breeding as a business has been devaluated greatly ever since people started keeping their own herd of animals to breed, in a desperate attempt to work against the constant nerfs on "hoarding"

Actually it seems that breeding as a business has been devaluated greatly ever since people started keeping their own herd of animals to breed, in a desperate attempt to work against the constant nerfs on "hoarding"

I dont really care about the breeders market, and I dont think that a function that is so tied to combat should be revised based on the already very fluctuating in-game market.

I do think that it is somehow realistic that mobs will sometimes target the mount instead of the raider. I also think that it is a good part of PvE, you take a living creature into combat, except for intelligent mobs, the regular mobs would see the horse and the raider as food/threat equally.

In my experience it is rare that a mob will attack the mount instead of me, and with the new function of the saddle to keep the mount in place, it is easy to take some distance, dismount, and attract the aggro back to you.

just my personal opinion.

Maybe make it so the horse's CR is the same as its rider (it shouldn't get attack damage or damage mitigation changes). As its rider becomes more skilled the horse is harder to hit. This would mean players who are more skilled aren't griefed as bad by week and pitiful mobs. I'd also like barding to mitigate considerably damage

I dont really care about the breeders market, and I dont think that a function that is so tied to combat should be revised based on the already very fluctuating in-game market.

I do think that it is somehow realistic that mobs will sometimes target the mount instead of the raider. I also think that it is a good part of PvE, you take a living creature into combat, except for intelligent mobs, the regular mobs would see the horse and the raider as food/threat equally.

In my experience it is rare that a mob will attack the mount instead of me, and with the new function of the saddle to keep the mount in place, it is easy to take some distance, dismount, and attract the aggro back to you.

just my personal opinion.

Maybe make it so the horse's CR is the same as its rider (it shouldn't get attack damage or damage mitigation changes). As its rider becomes more skilled the horse is harder to hit. This would mean players who are more skilled aren't griefed as bad by week and pitiful mobs. I'd also like barding to mitigate considerably damage

Edited by shadowblasta

but one thing that would help breeders and players would be to add gelding to the game

I normally ride away immediatly when I hear my horse getting hit. Get out of range, heal my horse, and by the time I am done the mob has probably reset it's target so I can go in and finish fight with it attacking me.

TBH, my problem is the 2 times I have accidently targeted my horse in combat. With a decent weapon you can 2-3 shot your horse, by the time you realize what is happening it is dead. While I would like to see a fix for that, I need to do a better job myself of not being so careless.

animals should target the one who is the biggest thread to them -so the one who makes most damage if not taunted

I have only lost one horse to a mob, thats cuz i lagged and didnt hear my horse getting hit till it was too late, And personally i found it kinda Invigorating having to fight my way out of that, just give your horse barding if you want it to live longer, if your that worried get chain barding