Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Forage & Botanize Overhaul

As tradition dictates, got to post a suggestion as my first forum post so...

Skill level affect which tiles can be foraged from and botanized. Current forage/botanize is preserved, so no screaming nerf at me ;)

Forage

20 - Can forage in steppe

50 - Can forage in marsh/reeds

80 - Can forage in tundra

Botanize

20 - Can botanize in marsh/reeds

50 - Can botanize in moss/kelp

80 - Can botanize in peat

Optional Extra : The harder a tile is to forage/botanize the high quality the items that can be found there (maybe even some unique items for different tile types).

Edit :

Revisited this with a few extra thoughts.

Forage/botanise timer based on skill level (timer = base - skill/10).

Item quality is effected by skill (quality found = (base+skill)/2) so high forage/botanise skills will help find higher quality items and lower level skills will drag item quality down a bit.

Rose, lavender, cammellia, oleander are added to the botanise pool when in season. Cherry, olive, grape, lemon are added to the forage pool when in season.

Forage/botanis ability displayed from 1 tile away at 30, 2 at 60 and 3 at 90

Forage/botanise skill gives a chance to find more items (% chance to find 2 items is your skill level?)

Edited by Etherdrifter

As tradition dictates, got to post a suggestion as my first forum post so...

Skill level affect which tiles can be foraged from and botanized. Current forage/botanize is preserved, so no screaming nerf at me ;)

I wouldn't mind that change, however, in my opinion it doesn't fix foraging/botanizing. Currently the main problem with those skills is that skill has no effect, you find the same stuff (of the same quality), no matter whether you have 1 or 40 in those skills.

That means that ql is practically random and, as such, nobody I know forages or botanizes once they have a little farm going. There's just nothing one can do with ql5 blueberries or basil that can't be done much better with farmed goods.

Grrr, was just writing a post going against the idea when I realized that it was only an addition to what we currently have lol

I like it!

It would give me something to strive for with the prospect of getting some good ql things.

Also, how about adding tar/clay into those? I would imagine if you go and search through tar, you are bound to find something in that sticky goo ;D

+1

I know that you'll have Dyemakers like HeadHunter jumping for joy if the harder tiles give higher ql stuff, because highql woad is a total pain to find.

Hmm, that may put a damper on dye market by making easier to get?

some better way to get good woad and acorns is always good.

Gives a purpose for terrain that others prefer to just terraform it away.

It is a bit of wogic though that the wurst terrain has the best forage/botany....so I would prefer this be implemented for some new rare items that are terrain type specific rather than just increasing high QL chances. Why would I find high QL grain seeds searching in the tundra?

Gives a purpose for terrain that others prefer to just terraform it away.

It is a bit of wogic though that the wurst terrain has the best forage/botany....so I would prefer this be implemented for some new rare items that are terrain type specific rather than just increasing high QL chances. Why would I find high QL grain seeds searching in the tundra?

Because Tundra areas are naturally cooler and preserve it better ;) I.e. better ql retention

I like the general idea. I would like it better this way though:

Increased foraging and botanizing gives increased chance of high QL items.

Certain terrain types have higher skill requirements to forage/botanize. Those terrain types are known to drop different items at higher rates, and even have some item unavailable in certain terrain types.

Either way one item I would definitely add to high level botanizing terrain is a potency 5 herb for healing covers. I would actually add a whole ton more higher potency herbs. Kind of irritating that the only potency 5 plant is a mushroom (so it's not even linked to a skill unless you pray for it) that weighs a ton.

Herbs for antidotes and medicines used in treating poisoned and infected wound could be nice as well. The high level botanist with their bag of tricks for dealing with any ailment sounds cool and envokes the idea of a Nynaeve type character.

Edited by Eldurian

For wounds of medium and above a healing cover with a potency of 20+ will do just fine. I just combine the high stuff of potency of 4-5 with each other, which will make supreme healing covers. These, when applied to medium and above work. So for supreme healing cover you need: B. Mushroom, Gland, Heart, Uni Horn, G. Mushroom, Lovage, Rosemery, or Tooth in any combinations, so it isn't too terribly hard if you spend an hour foraging/botanizing :/

Well I believe the wiki says you only need potency 16 for a severe. I treated a severe with a 15 to slow it down yesterday and it actually healed it. I don't believe my faith is high enough yet for my healing rate bonus in Fo's domain to kick in so it seems like 15s will treat a severe.

But either way the highest you can get with plants is rosemary+lovage for a 16. You are right. Easy to make a few of those in an hour or two. This is a reasonable time for newbs untrained in foraging and botany.

For people who take the time to train up those skills... that is not a reasonable time. More options for high potency agents including potency 5's would give people who train these skills a reward they deserve instead of relegating botanized/foraged covers to something mainly used by newbs.

Ah, also from what I hear mushrooms are all over the place, people finding them left and right although I never found this for myself lol. Was told to turn grass settings down or something to se them better. Just throwing that out there for anyone ;D

Edited by Shrimpiie

Ah, also from what I hear mushrooms are all over the place, people finding them left and right although I never found this for myself lol. Was told to turn grass settings down or something to se them better. Just throwing that out there for anyone ;D

Keep in mind if mushrooms are not picked, then it becomes a pile of mushrooms because unlike other things (and much like real mushrooms) they do not have to be picked to sprout a new one. There is no art for a pile of mushrooms, so when you see a noob box in the woods, do not presume it is a decayed corpse loot not worth your time for meager worthless noob forage in a clay bowl, it may indeed be a huge pile of mushrooms.

Edited by yarnevk

I dont really care....as long as i can do the basic stuff I do now on grass.

If anything at all is changed to that then I wont be happy.

Yeah I know what it says, but I also know how things get added in this game.

Next thing I know I wont get as much stuff from grass and have to grind just to get certain things.

It is nice and simple right now and as long as this new idea only adds to the area's you can get some things sure.

I could even see the other tiles getting different types of things as well.

Just please do not limit items from grass that are already there.

Edited by Protunia