Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

Deedplanner 2.9.10 - 3D House And Deed Planner

48 minutes ago, apachejacks said:

So the program runs and opens correctly but I am unable to use my mouse within the program. If I hover over a tile I can see the x and y but I can't click on the tiles or any of the options. Any ideas?

Hmm... I am not really sure what you mean, did you tried changing the ground type you want to place on the map? By default both left and right-click are set to "grass" and the whole map is made of grass already, so clicking have no effect until you switch to another ground type.

After unzipping the Deed Planner (to Program files (x86)), it just won't start. Double clicking the jar says it can't find some class or something. How to fix it?

Latest Java 8.something is freshly installed (and Wurm is working without problems).

Something for people interested with how DeedPlanner (literally) grew over time. :)

It seems like it didn't included the last two months, but other than that the whole development of DeedPlanner 2 is covered.

• Like 2

Hey Warlander, I've run into this bug on linux when trying to save to pastebin

Spoiler

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: The BROWSE action is not supported on the current platform!

I googled it, it looks like a problem of poor java support on linux, rather than any of your work. Still if you know a workaround... :D I've tried installing gnome libraries but that didn't do the trick. I'm copying and pasting straight from the .MAP file like a peasant for now.

1 hour ago, Czar said:

Hey Warlander, I've run into this bug on linux when trying to save to pastebin

Hide contents

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: The BROWSE action is not supported on the current platform!

I googled it, it looks like a problem of poor java support on linux, rather than any of your work. Still if you know a workaround... :D I've tried installing gnome libraries but that didn't do the trick. I'm copying and pasting straight from the .MAP file like a peasant for now.

OS and Java vendor? Oracle Java works well on Debian-based systems at least, but I will add workaround for systems which does not support this feature, possibly releasing the bugfix today.

1 minute ago, Warlander said:

OS and Java vendor? Oracle Java works well on Debian-based systems at least, but I will add workaround for systems which does not support this feature,

Debian Sid and  Oracle's java

java version "1.8.0_121"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)

3 minutes ago, Warlander said:

possibly releasing the bugfix today.

:huh:  that's quick

DeedPlanner 2.7.1 released! Changes:

• Added workaround for saving to Pastebin if option to open web browser directly is unsupported
  • Added bee hives and stills
  • Slightly changed GUI text of bridge removal option, for clarification

3 minutes ago, Warlander said:

DeedPlanner 2.7.1 released! Changes:

• Added workaround for saving to Pastebin if option to open web browser directly is unsupported
  • Added bee hives and stills
  • Slightly changed GUI text of bridge removal option, for clarification

Workaround works, cheers Warlander :lol:

On right guys and girls, one question... Is there any "quality of life" kind of improvement you would like to see in the DeedPlanner? :)

44 minutes ago, Warlander said:

On right guys and girls, one question... Is there any "quality of life" kind of improvement you would like to see in the DeedPlanner? :)

I know you will stone me for this, but it would be awesome if we could edit the map in 3D mode! Switching back and forth between 2D and 3D for every minor modification makes life uncomfortable.

(Of yourse I am aware that this would mean a major restructuring of the program code, and is by no means a minor improvement. Just saying...  ;) )

Dont know if this is added (its been a long time since i used deedplanner now), but editing lower floors of multistory buildings would be nice.

I remember it always was a hassle when i planned a large multistory building, then looked at it in 3d and figured i wanted to change some walls in first floor. Then i had to remove everything above first.

With your awesome job on this it might even be possible to copy/paste parts of a building now for all i know. This would also be nice. ;)

Dont know if this is possible now, and dont know if its possible to implement.

Easier house editing is anyway my first deedplanner qol improvement wish! :)

Edited by Nordlys

3 hours ago, Yaga said:

I know you will stone me for this, but it would be awesome if we could edit the map in 3D mode! Switching back and forth between 2D and 3D for every minor modification makes life uncomfortable.

(Of yourse I am aware that this would mean a major restructuring of the program code, and is by no means a minor improvement. Just saying...  ;) )

I could do some experimenting in this area, but cannot promise anything. One possible way this could be implemented is pre-rendering the scene to depth buffer only and doing a raytrace to see which tile/border/corner is 'hit'.

3 hours ago, Nordlys said:

Dont know if this is added (its been a long time since i used deedplanner now), but editing lower floors of multistory buildings would be nice.

I remember it always was a hassle when i planned a large multistory building, then looked at it in 3d and figured i wanted to change some walls in first floor. Then i had to remove everything above first.

With your awesome job on this it might even be possible to copy/paste parts of a building now for all i know. This would also be nice. ;)

Dont know if this is possible now, and dont know if its possible to implement.

Easier house editing is anyway my first deedplanner qol improvement wish! :)

You can design buildings without any limitations already, including starting at the higher floors.

When it comes to copy/paste - it could be useful in some situations (for example, if you want to move the structure somewhere else), but requires lots of work due to how DP stores map data - this is possible, but relatively difficult and would take a lot of time to implement, so I am not sure if this option will ever arrive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warlander said:

Something I've always dreamt of, is the ability to toggle lighting on and off. So that lamps would actually illuminate and you could see how your design looks in the dark and with lamps turned on. Even if it were at a very optimized and low res level.

Also, would be nice if all the bigger objects would be supported that impact design. For instance adding pylons and obelisks was SUCH a great addition! 

Also, not sure if it's just me, but building bridges seems sometimes a bit messed up when trying to add them as part of a building. So maybe that could get some more loving.

4 hours ago, Nordlys said:

.... it might even be possible to copy/paste parts of a building now for all i know. This would also be nice. ;)

Maybe it is not quite what you are looking for, but you may want to check this tool:

DPMapAssist can copy/paste/insert parts of a DeedPlanner map.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malena said:

Something I've always dreamt of, is the ability to toggle lighting on and off. So that lamps would actually illuminate and you could see how your design looks in the dark and with lamps turned on. Even if it were at a very optimized and low res level.

Also, would be nice if all the bigger objects would be supported that impact design. For instance adding pylons and obelisks was SUCH a great addition! 

Also, not sure if it's just me, but building bridges seems sometimes a bit messed up when trying to add them as part of a building. So maybe that could get some more loving.

Lightning - engine does not have support for it at all right now, but it is mostly using fixed pipeline supported with shaders, so this could be possible with some (well, lots) of effort, but is out of scope for now.

This is a backfire of using self-made engine instead of the better known ones like Unity or Unreal Engine - everything including lightning must be implemented manually, and switching at this stage of development would take many weeks of work for a single developer.

Bigger objects - I think all or most of them are already in - did I missed some of them?

anyway to get mine doors to how up when ya go underground so ya dont loss track of the tile your on?

4 hours ago, Warlander said:

Lightning - engine does not have support for it at all right now, but it is mostly using fixed pipeline supported with shaders, so this could be possible with some (well, lots) of effort, but is out of scope for now.

This is a backfire of using self-made engine instead of the better known ones like Unity or Unreal Engine - everything including lightning must be implemented manually, and switching at this stage of development would take many weeks of work for a single developer.

Bigger objects - I think all or most of them are already in - did I missed some of them?

Thanks for the info Warlander. :) Something I tend to do if I'm designing something really important and big, is I first design the "rough draft" in deed planner, then I go test run it on Wurm Unlimited with the god tools to make sure that my vision and dream of how it will really feel is worth all the effort to build it in wurm online. One of the main reasons I do this is to feel the atmosphere of the environment I've designed which for me, is mainly created by lighting. Both the sunlight and the shadows it casts on the ground, as well as the night time atmosphere. I might be a weirdo and alone in this respect though heheh. So point being, that doing something so tedious for deedplanner would only be worth it if there were lots of people who are left yearning to get a proper idea of the atmosphere. However, if for most people, seeing and planning the architecture is enough, it's most likely not worth considering to make something like lighting.

About bigger objects. I looked through the item list I have up on google docs and there were a few things I spotted that would be useful to have - their importance being merely from my own perspective of course. Here's a list:

"Would be really nice to haves"

(these are either "fundamental" elements of a village, or else hugely affect the environment)

• Well
  • Kiln
  • Smelter
  • Spinning wheel
  • Large barrel
  • Wooden bench
  • Stone bench
  • Trash heap
  • Shop sign
  • Village recruitment board
  • Colossus
  • Colossus of Magranon
  • Colossus of Libia

"Nice to haves"

• Huge oil barrel
  • Small wine barrel
  • And now that stacked pile of barrels, whatever it was called
  • Huge tub
  • Washing bowl
  • Small tripod table
  • Small bedside table
  • Lounge chair
  • Royal lounge chaise
  • Rectangular marble table
  • Round marble table
  • Small brazier
  • Marble brazier pillar
  • Pavillion

I've also colored these all in turqoise for you on the item list page:

• Like 1

Hmm... Possibility to save DP map directly as a WU server map to check how the plan looks like in the reality sounds like something interesting, but very big task as well. :)

When it comes to missing objects - I will take a look at all of them soon, it is very likely that all of them can be imported to the program now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Hmm... Possibility to save DP map directly as a WU server map to check how the plan looks like in the reality sounds like something interesting, but very big task as well. :)

When it comes to missing objects - I will take a look at all of them soon, it is very likely that all of them can be imported to the program now.

Oh gosh, I wasn't suggesting you make an export to WU! I was just explaining why I desire the lighting :). Buuuuuuuuuuttttt holy crap, if we had something like that, it would be pretty sweet actually! Even with god tools, it can be quite time consuming and tedious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warlander said:

Wow - yeah! Don't give us ideas! :P

That would be the most awesome feature!

7 hours ago, Warlander said:

Bloody hell that'd sell a few copies

8 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

Bloody hell that'd sell a few copies

This makes me wonder how often is DeedPlanner actually used... The only viable statistic I have is amount of public maps posted to Pastebin, and this is not very good indicator - good enough to see few interesting patterns tho, for example as of the last week only few people use version 2.7, while over half still uses 2.5 or earlier versions. Earlier on I had download statistics as well - roughly 3 to 7 downloads on average day and 15-25 just after new version is released.

Personally, I tend to use it only few times per year (not counting development and debugging, of course). :)

When it comes to donations, total amount is nothing so far in 2017, 30 Euro in 2016 and 45 Euro in 2015. :)

Speaking of which, i wanted to make a WU client mod that will allow to dump any area of any (reasonable) size as a file that can be fed to DP.

The same functionality as the export button in deeds but for any area, and without messing up the height in the output.

Any interest? :P

12 minutes ago, bdew said:

Speaking of which, i wanted to make a WU client mod that will allow to dump any area of any (reasonable) size as a file that can be fed to DP.

The same functionality as the export button in deeds but for any area, and without messing up the height in the output.

Any interest? :P

Just keep in mind that DP doesn't like extreme heights - it is best to keep them near sea level. I think max height I allowed is something like 6000, but I cannot guarantee stability of anything above 1024. :)

Hm, i could cap the height or something. My main annoyance with the way the current export works is that half the time it puts most of my deed underwater ...