Sign in to follow this  
Kiddoo

Wurmcaching

Hello friends,

Since quite a few days ago I had an idea - to combine two of my hobbies (Wurm and Geocaching) and create a game within our favorite game. :)

For those who are not familiar with the term of geocaching feel free to visit: http://www.geocaching.com/

The goal of this project is to encourage us to actually leave our comfort zone, explore more, find some of the most interesting places on the server, create one more fun thing to do in game and offer everyone the chance to a "fair trade" / gift items with others - imagine the joy of a newbie who would found a nice tool in a cache - it would really be like a treasure hunt. :D

Plus, it's really a community thing. No single person could place, maintain and handle all the caches; not to mention that probably no single person knows all amazing places from the server. But together, one cache at a time, we can create an amazing adventure for any finder. Just imagine - a relatively newish player, embarking in a full day adventure, travelling across the whole map, get to see some of the best spots from the server, get to know new people, and get back hope with quite a nice collection of things which would make his life easier.

My idea is pretty much something like this:

PLACE A CACHE: Any deed owner could place a cache on their deed (large chest / small chest / coffin - up per his preferences, but which can hold and unique [aka rare, enchanted, etc] items) anywhere on their deed (providing there is free, clear access to it) and place the information here (I'll update the starting post with the location as soon as I get the info). The information should be in the format:

* coordinates (based on Acaos' map - http://forum.wurmonl...-project-11413/ - something like "X10, Y20")

* a hint for finding it within the quadrant (something like "on top of the mountain" or "at the back of the mine")

* a short description of the location / surroundins (aka why that place is interesting to visit - something like "scenic view over half of the server from the top of the mountain" or "free public mine with silver vein")

* [optional] if you're a crafter and you're offering any items in the cache on a regular base feel free to mention it (something like - "I'm a wannabe blacksmith, so there should be a steady supply of 20 QL or so tools in the cache; feel free to serve yourself")

Containers must have as name: wurmcache number and link to this thread bit.ly/XFD4rO like "Cache 12 - bit.ly/XFD4rO"

FIND A CACHE: Based on the list presented here, anyone could go for a cache hunting while exploring the map. Tracking the findings (for those looking for bragging rights) could be done either by taking a print screen of the place - leaving a sheet with your name on it inside is encouraged, but since there is no guarantee who actually put the sheet of paper inside, only print screens would be accepted. Then just send me a PM here on forum with the shoot and I'll update your finding on the list of top wurmcachers. :)

ITEM TRADING: When finding a cache, you can take out one item, with the condition to put another item inside. Ideally the item should be at least of the same value; if you're new and you don't have an equally valuable item, it's OK to just put an item which for your level is "top item". Of course, that's just a matter of honor, there is no way to control that there won't be any thieves, but I really hope that won't happen.

WURMCOINS: The equivalent of the geocoins from the real life game - feel free to put a named item / parchment with your desired route, then the person taking it and moving it will update here on forum the travelling route (for example I may put inside my first ever supreme rock shard mined and ask for it to "travel around the world, in as many underground caches as possible, then return back to me" - and people would just move it from cache to cache 'till it is back to me. :)

TREASURE HUNTS: One may create a mini treasure hunt by placing more than one wurmcache, but listing only the first one, while that one will give the hint to the next one

STILL WAITING FOR SUGGESTIONS OF HOW TO MAKE THIS BETTER

For the moment I'm waiting for people to submit their caches - as soon as we'll have around 10 I'll publish them and we'll get this started.

To get the things rolling initially I will also offer a small prize for the first person who will find (log) all initial 10 caches. :)

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Kiddoo
  • Like 2

Reserved (this will contain the list of wurmcaches).

Edited by Kiddoo

Reserved (this will contain the top of wurmcachers).

Reserved (this will contain print screens and anything else).

Hmmm this is an excellent idea. Perhaps to increase the dynamics parchment sheets could be used to either provide or give further clues to the Caches.

Hmmm this is an excellent idea. Perhaps to increase the dynamics parchment sheets could be used to either provide or give further clues to the Caches.

Taking this one step further.....only leave paper pieces in the chest that the person could use to redeem for some item in that chest should they find it. While I'm all for trusting the general population. Having that 1 person come & wipe it out would be blah.

• Like 1

I LOVE GEOCACHING! Yesss, I would so be interested in this. Unfortunatly, I am from Epic :/

I may set up some caches on release. I agree with the papyrus approach. Also allows you to leave a note with your name in the box, so other people who find it know who has been there before :)

Super cool idea. I'm not all that interested in traveling long distance yet. I still have a lot of nooby things to take care of around the deed. But I'd be interested in potentially setting up a spot somewhere near me.

As mentioned in-game, I'm onboard with this.

Might I suggest that the chests all be named in such a way that people not involved are directed to this thread if they find one? Just imagine if someone drops deed over a chest full of goodies...

Yes. We need a standardized naming convention. Potentially add the URL? Here's a shortened link that points to this thread: bit.ly/XFD4rO

Edited by Baylan

I'd help out and be glad to set up a site on my island at X36,Y15. MSG Draxxle in game with any needs

OK, it seems the reaction was good enough; I will think at all your suggestions and update the post tonight. Let's make this happen. :D

Edited by Kiddoo

I modified the initial post a bit to make it a bit clear; I think that for now we should stick with caches only on deeds and placed only be a deed resident so we are sure that they will stay in place (there wouldn't be any bigger turn off for a finder then to travel half of the map to find a cache and not find it).

STILL WAITING FOR SUGGESTIONS OF HOW TO MAKE THIS BETTER

For the moment I'm waiting for people to submit their caches - as soon as we'll have around 10 I'll publish them and we'll get this started.

To get the things rolling initially I will also offer a small prize for the first person who will find (log) all initial 10 caches. :)