Sign in to follow this  
Trixie

Please Close Topic, Not Worth The Hassle And Crying.

Close thread please.

I can handle that this is not what the majority would prefer, fair enough.

I can accept that people would see censorship as an issue.

I can accept that the ignore function does work, quite true.

But when the topic gets out of hand suggesting babies be used as folder or that shooting for fun to 'blow some things brains out'...maybe I am not the one with the issue.

Guns can obviously serve a meaningful purpose, I just don't see that the chat around it often does.

It was a suggestion for the mod's and gm's to consider. If you have to be extreme or rude to make a point rather then just say no thanks, it's a shame.

Thanks to those who disagreed but had dignity about it.

Edited by Trixie
  • Like 1

Can instill your own form of censorship quite easily, ignore every player that talks about guns, or anything else you find bothersome, be interesting to see how much chat you see as time progresses.

Check out the new models for the butchered animals, and then re read what you posted.

• Like 1

You just opened up a can of worms there. I'm not going to say anything else other then 'No' as saying anything else will surely spark a very big debate...

If I am disagreed with so be it. It's an opinion like any other suggestion.

If I am disagreed with so be it. It's an opinion like any other suggestion.

Why Freedom of speech for the most part has always worked, agree it needs limitations to some extent, but rarely people see what actions they can take on their own to solve some, if not all of the problem.

the gun debate was setteled in 1791, enough said

So was the free speech debate. Apparently some people just don't know how to use the ignore function.

See here is where we need to view the line of moderation and self moderation. The discussion of purely the weaponry is not a topic worthy of a rule.

HOWEVER, that being said once the discussion involving the weaponry starts to lean towards events of the less desirable nature with the use of guns including but not limited to past tragedies and war especially is where there is already a bit of moderation on which is discussion of controversial topics. The rules arent as descriptive as they once were but this was included under the discussion of religion and illegal activities.

We as a community need to be aware of other peoples feelings.

TL;DR version

The discussion of weaponry itself is not the issue, it's when people discuss the controversial topics such as wars and past tragedies that it leans on the side of needing moderation.

One more thing. Since this topic has gone and rustled your jimmies Trixie, are there any other topics of discussion that offend you and could warrant a banning? Is it ok to talk about gay unions? How about the Holocaust? Is talking about my tax refund too sensitive for your virgin ears? Will someone deserve a ban for mentioning his or her preference in deodorant?

I bet someone like you could possibly offend yourself one of these days. I guess that's just wishful thinking.

We as a community need to be aware of other peoples feelings.

Me worrying about feelings goes out the door with the ignore button. If I don't like someone, or something they are saying, I simply put them on ignore. It really does solve ALL my chat problems.

-1. As an avid competition shooter and hunter.. there is no point in doing this. If it hurts your feelings because people are talking about guns ( Which when used reponsibly are delights ) you can 1, ignore the party talking about it or 2, turn off that chat window. No reason to ban other people from doing it since you don't like it.. By that logic, if I don't like talk about people selling items, should then in turn talk about selling items be banned?

Just what Wurm Online needs, more censorship! That will encourage people to keep playing, being told not to share their personal feelings or experiences. Maybe we should censor the ideas that get posted on the forums.

-1 any discussions and talks should be reviewed individually instead just ban the topics. People that explicitly make everyone else uncomfortable sure deserve a warn but a warn or ban cause a few or one person uncomfortable is a no.

It should be avoided JUST as politics and religion, although that comes up a fair bit too. And no, this isn't a free country, it's Wurm.

While gun related topics may fall under politics depending on the context, political discussion is not disallowed as long as it remains a civil discussion. My own personal opinion is that there is nothing wrong with discussing these objects.

You are free to use the /ignore function to self-filter discussions.

I find River Otters disgusting and I think all topics relating to them should be censored.

River-Otter.jpg

• Like 3

-1 If guns offend you..dont ask me to use mine to defend you IF the time should ever arise...Nuff said.

While being called out be a GM for talking about aspirin is terribly stupid (tho i don't actually know the circumstances), the discussion of guns isn't worth banning.

Kangaroo discussion bothers me, especially people wanting to protect the overgrown jumping rats.

• Like 1

As someone who comes from a country where guns are pretty much only owned by farmers and hunters, pistols are completely banned unless you have a pistol target shooting license, and gun crime is negligible, I can understand the objection to gun talk as gun ownership is the problem, not the solution. HOWEVER, I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss *in a non political context*. No talk of gun reform laws, no talk of Sandy Hook, etc. But discussing what kind of rifles you have and what kind of target shooting you do is harmless.

• Like 1