Sign in to follow this  
Vroomfondel

Please Make Enchanted Grass Enchanted Again

I know that Rolf nerfed enchanted grass, supposedly because it was overpowered, but I disagree with that decision. I keep my animals down to the limits described in the wiki, but still get enchanted tiles to revert to grass and get packed, even if the animals are not grazing in that area. Came in today to find that in 3 days 5 tiles had reverted in my cattle pen, and I'm still reenchanting the horse pen. The cattle are still crowding on the west side of the pen, but the new tiles that reverted to grass were on the east side of the pen, where they seldom go.

Why was it considered overpowered? It takes a long time to get the skill to enchant grass, and you can only enchant 1 a day, so it was already quite limited. And it's not like everything loses it's enchantment over time. I have never seen any weapon lose any of their enchants, nor do meditation rugs. I would consider that far more overpowered than enchanted grass.

All it does is increase the daily chores, and that is what tends to drive players away after a while, too mant chores just to keep things up. When I went for the path of love, it was to get the reward of enchanted grass, to take away the daily drudge work of repairing the pastures. But now you have put it back. I understand that you are trying to stop hoarding, but do you have to make it harder for those of us who are playing by the rules?

And as to the practice of planting crops and letting the animals graze on that, well, I have huge issues. I come from cattle country, and I know that the worst thing you can do is let the cattle into the fields. It's not just that they would ruin the entire field in a day and starve, but if they do eat grains they get gas, and ruminant animals can't burp. We should be having to stab them in the stomach to relieve the gas pressure. When they grain feed cattle just before slaughter, they do it to add fat to the meat, and they have to feed them tons of antacids. In fact, cattle use more antacids than people do in the USA, just to get a few more pounds on them before slaughter.

So please, revert enchanted grass to being truly enchanted again, otherwise it's just pretty green grass in winter.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 11

they dont disappear that fast, ive had around 6 go away in 4weeks.. which is not much if i can remake them in a day.

I agree, especially now that animals on deed never moves, so they will just stay on one spot and eat the grass down and starve to death.

they dont disappear that fast, ive had around 6 go away in 4weeks.. which is not much if i can remake them in a day.

Read my original post again. Tiles are reverting without being eaten down. May not have happened to you yet, it hadn't happened to me for a few weeks. But after 3 only days from the game (actually 3 days I didn't go out to the pens) 5 tiles had packed suddenly, and in areas that weren't being occupied by cattle. You may not be concerned today, but you will be.

Besides, it's called enchanted grass, why should it disappear at all? It was a decision from Rolf based on feedback from players who have his ear in IRC. Decisions based on the opinions of this group have always been unpopular, I remember when Rolf made lamps need oil and you were supposed to collect it yourself, then store it in an oil barrel for the templars to fill the lamps. It was drudge work, and an idea from the IRC group, but most of us all hated it and protested until Rolf relented. This is the same situation.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 1

+1 here. I too chose the Love path specifically for enchanting grass. If it has been nerfed to the point of near uselessness, I am rather disappointed, and will just seed the whole paddock in wemp.

Much of this issue seems to be rooted in the food pathing of livestock. As has been stated, they will just stand in one place and eat a tile to packed earth before moving. This is completely at odds with RL behavior.

weapon and tool enchants are getting used up btw....

I have often seen tools lose enchants over time as they are used, but I have many weapons that I have owned for years and have never lost a single point of power on any of the enchants, even for my most often used sword. Same goes for meditation rugs. There is an inconsistency in how enchants work in Wurm, as some do wear away and some do not, depending on what item is enchanted. And the enchanted grass I most recently lost was not overgrazed and packed, they just reverted to grass. Instead of wearing away as they are used, they are just going poof.

I guess my biggest question is, how is it overpowered if enchanted grass never wears away? How does it give one group an advantage over another in PVP? I know Rolf has problems with hoarders of animals, but this nerf did not change that, and he has had to add other measures to combat hoarding. So why leave this nerf in place?

I think with the serious (but very much needed!) animal nerfs lately, we can revert the enchanted grass nerf at the very least. To restore some balance.

• Like 1

Off-topic, but I have seen weapon enchants decay, but very rarely. This is likely only due to the fact that they retain their damage for up to 2-3 months at a time before I get around to repairing them.

Back on topic... It would be nice if Enchanted grass worked in stages like regular grass does, but doesn't pack. At "the grass is cut short" stage, animals shouldn't be able to graze off of it, and would therefore move to another tile to attempt grazing on.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 6

+1

I think with the serious (but very much needed!) animal nerfs lately, we can revert the enchanted grass nerf at the very least. To restore some balance.

I've noticed this too! I've had enchanted grass revert to grass, along with enchanted grass turning to packed dirt. It seems to happen way more often than is reasonable. Please fix this, and or make enchanted grass hard to destroy.

EDIT* Or, what about allowing us to cast enchant grass every couple hours instead of once a day?

Edited by Talilon

+1 I too have chosen path of love specifically to have perma food for my animal pens and this change made me give up working on the path.

It simply doesn't make sense to keep this feature/nerf with the recent updates to creature limits on deed.

Off-topic, but I have seen weapon enchants decay, but very rarely. This is likely only due to the fact that they retain their damage for up to 2-3 months at a time before I get around to repairing them.

Back on topic... It would be nice if Enchanted grass worked in stages like regular grass does, but doesn't pack. At "the grass is cut short" stage, animals shouldn't be able to graze off of it, and would therefore move to another tile to attempt grazing on.

Problem is THEY DON'T. I've been having to handfeed one of my best breeding mares cause she's on a 2x1 pen, with 1 tile that was packed and the other is still enchanted, but she won't move to the enchanted tile to feed, and already lost the "Fat" status.

Personally I would rather see it so enchanted trees aren't entirely useless. That's been my biggest grievance with this ability from the start.

So you have a tree. It can't be cut down. It also can't be pruned (so it WILL die), you can't pick it's sprouts, you can't harvest it's fruit, and enchanted thorns do no damage.

Can someone name a single practical use for enchanted trees/bushes please?

They seem entirely useless and the grass seems mostly useless/easily replaced by crops.

Personally as I suggested in another topic if like to see the love path revitalized by nerfing the nutrition from refresh, making enchanted grass useful again and making it the 2nd ability, replacing the 3rd ability with enchanted tree's/bushes that can be pruned and allow you to pick sprouts, and finally replacing the 4th ability with the ability to harvest enchanted fruits, syrup, etc. from enchanted trees. Give these fruits and products made from them special properties.

I think most people on/considering the love path would really enjoy the changes.

Personally I would rather see it so enchanted trees aren't entirely useless. That's been my biggest grievance with this ability from the start.

So you have a tree. It can't be cut down. It also can't be pruned (so it WILL die), you can't pick it's sprouts, you can't harvest it's fruit, and enchanted thorns do no damage.

Can someone name a single practical use for enchanted trees/bushes please?

They seem entirely useless and the grass seems mostly useless/easily replaced by crops.

Personally as I suggested in another topic if like to see the love path revitalized by nerfing the nutrition from refresh, making enchanted grass useful again and making it the 2nd ability, replacing the 3rd ability with enchanted tree's/bushes that can be pruned and allow you to pick sprouts, and finally replacing the 4th ability with the ability to harvest enchanted fruits, syrup, etc. from enchanted trees. Give these fruits and products made from them special properties.

I think most people on/considering the love path would really enjoy the changes.

Actually, I think there is a use for enchanted trees, but only for pvp. Imagine what it would be like to have an enchanted forest of olive trees around your deed.

• Like 1

Only useful if your enemy would actually take the time to chop it down anyway. It will still die over time (where you would be able to prune the non-enchanted olives) but you won't be able to harvest sprouts from it to replant it when it dies, and you won't be able to harvest it come olive season.

You are much better off with a real olive forest you use to fill a BSB with spouts. If it gets chopped a Fo priest using wild growth can grow it back a lot easier than you can maintain the enchantments on those olives that keep dying from old age.

Edited by Eldurian

+1 from me.

I felt that enchanted grass was balanced before.

Only useful if your enemy would actually take the time to chop it down anyway. It will still die over time (where you would be able to prune the non-enchanted olives) but you won't be able to harvest sprouts from it to replant it when it dies, and you won't be able to harvest it come olive season.

You are much better off with a real olive forest you use to fill a BSB with spouts. If it gets chopped a Fo priest using wild growth can easily grow it back a lot easier than you can maintain the enchantments on those olives that keep dying from old age.

But if the enemy doesn't chop down the forest, then they have to try to get through it, which is very hard in a dense planted olive forest. My point is still valid, as the forest would force your enemy down the easier path, where you can see him coming.

Edited by Vroomfondel

But if the enemy doesn't chop down the forest, then they have to try to get through it, which is very hard in a dense planted olive forest. My point is still valid, as the forest would force your enemy down the easier path, where you can see him coming.

If they can't see you, you can't see them. Besides it's hard to get lost when you can count how many tiles you've gone in what direction. Olive forests are for hiding settlements, not protecting them once they're found.

Edited by Eldurian

weapons don´t loose enchants

cant u make like 100 alts with path of love on 7 to enchant ? so every alt of urs can have enchant grass that means even the average wurmian who has 2 chars can enchant 2 tiles per day :) quite a number in my opinion

7 on any path requires 30 meditation. So yeah if you had a ton of premium alts you could make them all Love Path and get a ton of enchants per day.

For the majority of us who only run 1-2 premium accounts 2 characters on the love path isn't the best way to do things.

Non-premium characters with 15 Meditation can be enlightened as high as you can find people to provide that service. I personally confirmed this with my Love alt before he ever had prem.