Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Pan Loading - Is There A Better Way?

I was just watching the SNFF video on priest and seen how they were loading pans now i have never skilled cooking like that i never have had a priest before and i can not believe there has not been a better way to do this suggested before. I guess the discussion is should there be a faster way to do this coded into the game? Maybe have it where you can pull a stack of lets say filets from your inventory to the top of a stack of pans and it would automatically put one filet in each pan then move down to the next until the stack was gone or every pan had one felt in it? (Then you would just repeat it for the vegetable)

I don't know if it would be a good thing to try to get the code to make this easier for you or not but that just seems like a lot of work loading two things in a pan to then just have to dump them all out again. Would it make it too easy to level? Do you have any other ideas about it or do you think it is fine the way it is?

Lol, just implement a meal imping system. Filets, Veggies, Dishwater, Salt, or any combination of food items to improve the quality of a meal :P

As a result, they'd also be repairable <3

• Like 1

I don't know but seeing all those pans and all that clicking sure makes me cringe at the thought of having to do that for hours on end to get the SD i needed for a good priest. I guess that is why i have been playing for over two years and my skills are just now getting to the 80+ point.

As much as I hate to say it, it is fine the way it is. It needs to be an arduous, tedious, mind-numbing, suicidal-thought-invoking process. Many work hard to get to 50SD and an easy way now seems unfair. Thousands of individual pans filled every week. Only those who are up for the arduous task (let alone those poor loaders) should be able to achieve their SD goals.

If you want to implement an "easy" way to gain SD (like cooking) then the cast power should be nerfed.

• Like 2

SNFF video = Faeran and Griphyth saturday night factional fight. or SNFF for short ;-) love thier show. wife hates them cus i play wurm 40-50 hr a week again now.

Even with there side by side thing it still seems like a lot of clicking but Banzai is probably right if you make it too easy then it would not be fair but man that is a lot of clicking respect for the people that like to grind skills i just can't do it.

Channeling seems to be more important anyway, so it's not like it's "necessary" to go through the trouble of the SD gain (considering channeling/praying give you SD anyway.)

Ya but there's ways to make it fair while not still a strain on the wrist... Why not take Firefly's idea as a start? maybe make it like lvling ropemaking or something but with some kind of ease like were discussing. Or maybe impable, but with skill rate of weaponsmithing. Just because some people have done it one way before, doesn't mean we have to keep it this way.... Just add a difficulty level in there to make it as hard as before... I completely agree it should take a ton of time to lvl SD, but wrist aches are completely unnecessary lol

could make loading easier. but have the cooking take longer, but i do like the idea of imping meals. they start to decay fast. so letting us all more and recook them could imp and help skill gain?

Well, you wouldn't code an easier way into the game to pan load, since pan loading would be a player made method of increasing a skill. Like an earlier thread by Arrow I think, about changing something with dirt to get the dirt prices back up (which they never went down by the way), since the price for dirt is a player made total, you don't code in something to directly change the market.

1h:15m for those who don't want to watch the whole video.

Its a nice set up to put them right next to each other like that. But I don't think I could click-n-drag as fast as those guys.

I do this:

1 use ctrl+click to highlight a stack of onion and garlic,

2. wtih ctrl down, click and drag goods from inventory to pan

3. while still dragging, ctrl up, shift down

4. drop items on pan you want to fill

5. hit enter, shift up. (make sure your default shift drag value is set to 1)

With this you can fill a pan with many items all at once. Although, Its not as good as what the OP proposed. I'd like to see the process changed so its not so tedious.

I think cooking is kinda fun. It's different and it is actually pretty easy to skill up fast if you have the vegetables and meat. Sure, lots of clicking, but there needs to be something you have to do for a skill without timers... Please don't change it to use timers as every other skill. It's nice that some skills work differently.

Edited by Torgrim
  • Like 2

Considering the amount of SD you gain from HFC compared to any other skill, I reckon it's entrely reasonable already. The only reason people notice the hard/boring work with pan loading is because you do all the preparation before hand, then light the fire and BAM, suddenly get all the skill. If you tried to gain the same amount of soul depth by doing anything else (farming or whatever) you would find you probably end up doing about 5 times as many actions etc. and would take FAR longer. It's just you gain skill over the time that you're doing the actions and there's no keybind for filling pans (incidentally, that's not a suggestion to add one - I really dont see how it would work :P ).

I don't know anything about it i have never done it before i just watched the video and it was something i intended on doing but never have yet. After watching the video and seeing what it looked like for the 70 or so he did and thinking about doing 1k of them over and over again just seemed like there could be a better way but maybe it is easy enough they way it is. Just one more reason that the priest just does not seem like it is worth it to me you do all that work and you still don't get any kind of consistency when you cast.

As a professional panloader, I can say it's not too easy. There's a reason only newbies and the insane panload for a living, and for newbies as soon as they get a better way to make prem coin, they take it.

To me, being a priest is difficult, arduous, annoying... But when you get that surprise 88 cast and end up making 12s it's all worth it again. Priests are massive games of patience - the gods are immortal, they can wait around all day and give us enchants whenever they do or don't want to. We have to accept that. Though admittedly, as an intermittent RSI sufferer myself, pan loading isn't much fun x)

• Like 1

Has anyone done any real testing to see what if any impact channeling and soul depth have on enchanting? I mean from the start without grinding either really and just 100 alignment I've been getting a reasonable distribution of random enchant strengths up to and including 100+ casts. I really haven't noticed any significant change in my enchant distribution as I work on soul depth and channeling and from what I've heard some people who have done some serious grinding on their priests have been getting worse luck streaks than I have. It would be amusing if after all that hard work some people have done it was never even implemented into the code to include those variables in the calculations, or if it's simply been superstition, or broke at some point in time.

And for those that think the game has to be crippling because other people have tortured themselves and it would be unfair to make things less painful that's just silly. If we were to think like that we couldn't change anything. Just think of how hard it was for people prior to the implementation of carts, horses, or ships to move materials around. Should those have not been implemented? I've also heard that smelting ore used to take hours. Should that not have changed? You can pick most features and it's probably made someone's life easier in some way over past players.

As much as I hate to say it, it is fine the way it is. It needs to be an arduous, tedious, mind-numbing, suicidal-thought-invoking process. Many work hard to get to 50SD and an easy way now seems unfair. Thousands of individual pans filled every week. Only those who are up for the arduous task (let alone those poor loaders) should be able to achieve their SD goals.

This ^

Also, by making it easier, Rolf is bound to nerf the skillgain allot, so altho you can load faster, you'll have around the same result as it was in the "slow" way (current way).

@Theodis: There is a HUGE difference between making material-hauling and ore melting faster/more convenient. You are not gaining any skill in a direct way by having a cart to move stuff around or having to wait only 10 min for ore to melt instead of 45min, there is always the extra step you have to do to gain skill, like smithing the lumps, or using the materials hauled with ships/carts/horses.

Suggesting easier panloading has a direct effect on skills (cooking + hfc + sd + ml = 4skills!)

Anyways, I dont care all to much about faster or slower, because (like I said before) if Rolf makes it faster to load the pans, he will nerf the skillgain. So the netto skill profit would be the same before and after the speedup.

(going even further you could complain then, that farms and animals need to yield more food-stuff when harvested/butchered. Because now you need a multitude of the ingredients to get the same SD from cooking meals/stew... and the circle goes round and round ....)

I do panfilling as living and honestly it is better from any other bulk making jobs. While the problem of panfilling is you don't get any skill from it, you can always drop an alt on the buyer's place and either multitask or do it separately. Normal bulk jobs require either come to the person's place or hauling -- which just hauling 1000 items alone will take more than half an hour!

I fill 500 pans and get 1s. Also got offer to fill 300 pans for 1s. To fill 500 pans, I require around 2 hours (if nonstop)only, could be reduced by half or more I think after seeing what FFNC did.. especially with the unloading (I admit I don't realize collapse and expand function existence).

If this made to be easier, I will lost my job :( .

I kinda enjoy pan loading and with the side by side method and some practice it can be done real fast. 4000 pans in three hours got a full point of SD at level 50. It's nearly impossible to get that much gain with most skills, let alone other characteristics.

Also there is a faster way to unload stew: just take the pans in inventory and use the drop key bind alternating on stew and pan, it will automatically scroll through and you just need to hammer the key.

What I would like to see is an option to fill a stack of containers though, placing one item each might be debatable, but filling all of them instead of just the first is definitely required.

Edited by Keldun

@Theodis: There is a HUGE difference between making material-hauling and ore melting faster/more convenient. You are not gaining any skill in a direct way by having a cart to move stuff around or having to wait only 10 min for ore to melt instead of 45min, there is always the extra step you have to do to gain skill, like smithing the lumps, or using the materials hauled with ships/carts/horses.

It needs to be an arduous, tedious, mind-numbing, suicidal-thought-invoking process. Many work hard to get to 50SD and an easy way now seems unfair. Thousands of individual pans filled every

From what I understood the poster has something against trivialization of someone else's hard work through making the game more playable rather than skill gain in specific. And I'm pretty sure time is just as much of a factor to people's perceived difficulty of the task as number of clicks. The same poster would likely be against making timer length irrelevant to skill gain ticks just the same as removing the number of actions required to get a tick.

However as to his later point about nerfing the effect of SD on enchant strength I'd like to have it confirmed that the stat even has an effect on enchanting because if there isn't one then there isn't much need to nerf the bonus. At the moment it feels so insignificant as to not be there anyway.

Edited by Theodis

Seeing that other people are posting their speeds, I'll post mine too. 2500pans/hour, including emptying. 3000-4000 per hour if someone else is assisting emptying. When I was loading for KaiH he timed me doing 1k fillets for curiosity's sake, 7min 26sec was my best time

Seeing that other people are posting their speeds, I'll post mine too. 2500pans/hour, including emptying. 3000-4000 per hour if someone else is assisting emptying. When I was loading for KaiH he timed me doing 1k fillets for curiosity's sake, 7min 26sec was my best time

How much computer-mouses do you have to buy each year? XD The padding on the bottom must be burnt off completely after 10 of those runs ;)

On topic: SD seems to have a rather big influence on enchants, but I have the feeling to really see the difference, you have to break the 70skill barrier.

Elite's priest Redeemed (what he told me) seems to do allot of 70+ casts. He has 74 sd. I think its like most of the skills ingame, the breakpoints seem to be 50 - 70 - 90 for allot of skills/enchants (just take armour, weapons, horse shoes, woa on horse shoes, ... etc as examples), maybe 70sd is giving every cast a much higher succeschance of reaching 60+ orso.

We would have to have Elite test this out on 100 70ql tools with coc-casting to have a small idea what the percentage is for every power-range. (I know you guys like to test things on 1000 items/actions +, but 100 should do for a quick test :P)

Edited by Lycanthropic

I have a Razer Naga Epic, 5400dpi gaming mouse, before i got it I burned out a Logitacky mouse every 6 months. Had my Naga for over a year and there are no signs of wear yet.