Sign in to follow this  
Thorin

High Level Pve Without Turning The Rest Of Wurm On Its Head?

Maybe there is room for multiple wide-ranged play styles on the same server in Wurm without having to occupy the same space.

For instance...what if on each of the Freedom PVE servers a lost island was discovered. Not just a little island but a massive island, maybe as large as a quarter of the server itself...and this single island was a wild untamed place...so wild that deeding was impossible...so hostile that fences and houses that were attempted to be built by players, were overrun and destroyed within days by huge behemoths that rampage across the land.

The existence of these mist shrouded islands are whispered around the camp fires...maybe myth, maybe legend… but maybe real for those hearty warriors that throw caution to the wind and seek to challenge fate and risk their very lives in search of glory against creatures that truly challenge the mid and high-range warriors of the lands.

If you choose to sail to these places of despair and mortal danger...do so knowing that you may not return alive, or if you are skilled, strong and maybe a bit lucky, you will return and become part of the legend that is Wurm....

Just a thought...

Edited by Thorin
  • Like 1

to be quite honest your tone is quite rude and its hard to take your suggestion seriously when you seem to knock a very large segment of the game population. I think it would be best if you would have kept your opinions of carebears to yourself instead of writing a nice little mean segment of your post about them. and on that note, I don't think this idea would work and I'd give it a -1. Sorry

To me, Wurm is about exploring the extremes of terraforming and having neat looking stuff to go 'ooh' at. I pretty much kill only creatures that wander up and interrupt my working. They are a nuisance IMO, yet others play just for the hunting it seems. :) Different playstyles. I like your idea, it sounds fun but it would not sustain me the way sculpting my deed does.

Edited by Cartrip
  • Like 1

to be quite honest your tone is quite rude and its hard to take your suggestion seriously when you seem to knock a very large segment of the game population. I think it would be best if you would have kept your opinions of carebears to yourself instead of writing a nice little mean segment of your post about them. and on that note, I don't think this idea would work and I'd give it a -1. Sorry

Really I meant no offence, you missed the point of my post, I am one of those crafter "carebears" at times. I was poking fun at myself, while suggesting there was a way we could all live together on the same server.

I only have 50 FS and over 90 digging skill, really where do you think I fall in that category? :)

Edited by Thorin

I too share the desire that some level of danger should rightly exist in the Freedom Isles without fear of chasing off Rolf's largest player base. And then I remember some of the times I had on Epic Serenity when Spirit Eagles appeared at a neighboring village, the sight of which rallied all the locals into a defensive frenzy.

And so I ask, Why can't there be random appearances of mighty foes in the Freedom Isles that would cause Freedomers to rally to their neighbor's defense? Why must the great and wonderful PVE experiences in the Freedom Isles be limited to chance happenings of single-spawn dragons that die almost as quickly as the first settlements appear, leaving nothing but champion whatevers to hunt?

I say, let there be some great Spirit Eagle happenstances that randomly menace with their mighty wings flapping against the winds of Freedom. Bring the fantastical creatures from Epic to Freedom and let the rally cries ring from shore to shore!

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 4

Less QQ! More high-end, scare the top teir players additions!

as i posted, someone else posted so i'm double posteding.

Anyways, i miss drakespirits. they were my friends.

I doubt many people on freedom would like epic style creatures there, with how much they seem to hate trolls. Epic creatures can do poison and internal wounds, chuck you around, stun you for 10 seconds, do AoE attacks, and bash or just ignore walls.

If the servers wanted to be true PvE, then sure, adding epic creatures would do that, but I bet a lot of freedom players would quit.

I doubt many people on freedom would like epic style creatures there, with how much they seem to hate trolls. Epic creatures can do poison and internal wounds, chuck you around, stun you for 10 seconds, do AoE attacks, and bash or just ignore walls.

If the servers wanted to be true PvE, then sure, adding epic creatures would do that, but I bet a lot of freedom players would quit.

Not sure, some of the most active times our village had, was when we went on hunts to the Steppes, or taking out Champ scorpions on Magencia Island. Then come home to a good long session of crafting bricks or digging dirt. :) Diversity isnt a bad thing in my mind :)

and ...with the creation of an island for uber level creatures or large numbers of just fairly strong creatures, then people would have the choice to go there or not.

This whole hum-drum combat challenges thing became evident the other day, when I was on my deed, and a Champ Troll spawned and ran over my alt. My warrior neighbor came by, and he almost single-handedly took down the Champ Troll in less than 3 minutes. His comment was something like " Dang!, too bad I didnt have my good sword with me, it wouldnt have taken me so long,"

Edited by Thorin

lol as soon as the aggro pop shot up people started crying, i rather not see another uproar like that, its not exactly safe in PVE even with my 70FS

Edit:ALso if anything the carebears will just hop on a boat and go to that island to try to loot the body of the few who actually go there for the slaughter

Edited by shadowblasta

Rolf has already replied in this thread: http://forum.wurmonl...hunting-server/ that he's not averse to the idea of an entire server just for hunting, however, it's not going to happen in the immediate future.

Lol, I was ninja'd while I was trying to find the thread :P

Sooo, you mean this idea already?

http://forum.wurmonl...hunting-server/

It is a well thought through and talked about idea

Yes, exactly! I must admit I missed that post, Great work for bringing it back Shrimpiie ! Thank you!

I would question does it have to be a seperate server, and if its east of Independence, (while great for me) not so great for people living in the south servers?

Edited by Thorin

The hunting server is a nice idea.

But one of the greatest aspects of Wurm is that it is a sandbox and a community game. We don't require the devs for every change to gameplay.

This is one thing we can easily do ourselves. We can build walled off highways and settlements and place guard towers in between to secure those areas for the fighting reluctant.

For instance...what if on each of the Freedom PVE servers a lost island was discovered. Not just a little island but a massive island, maybe as large as a quarter of the server itself...and this single island was a wild untamed place...so wild that deeding was impossible...so hostile that fences and houses that were attempted to be built by players, were overrun and destroyed within days by huge behemoths that rampage across the land.

The existence of these mist shrouded islands are whispered around the camp fires...maybe myth, maybe legend… but maybe real for those hearty warriors that throw caution to the wind and seek to challenge fate and risk their very lives in search of glory against creatures that truly challenge the mid and high-range warriors of the lands.

If you choose to sail to these places of despair and mortal danger...do so knowing that you may not return alive, or if you are skilled, strong and maybe a bit lucky, you will return and become part of the legend that is Wurm....

/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/74748-hunting-server/

?

The OP is so wrong not to mention arrogant. Can't take this seriously.

Why is it arrogant to want danger?

I'm the kind of player that needs an enemy or a danger to want to build. There's no point in my view to build something and then just stare at it. I want something to break it so that I have to build it even better next time.

It's the primary reason I went to the PvP servers.

Sure, on PvE servers you can forsake joining other players and go out alone and choose not to make a deed and/or not purchase spirit templars, but all that feels like having to micro-manage your game just to make it fun. It's like creating a game within a game. I like to play games, not be a pseudo game designer. Worse, sometimes I prefer to play with others. But if the game becomes too easy when I do that then it just ruins it for me.

For now, I'm happy on Chaos. I chose that server because of the PvP and because the map is huge and the slopes are steep. I'm not an elitist about my preferences, but I don't understand how people can be so happy without danger. In every game I've played I've needed that aspect of danger to move me forward. I feed on it.

Evenso, there're times on Chaos when things are too friendly. I don't want to live on an over-protected deed where nothing bad ever happens. I want to live in a place where we struggle to overcome.

Most people don't need danger to enjoy their game. I'm a minority in this regard. I'm probably also a minority in how I prefer slow skill-gain. I like to have the crap thrown in my face and have to come back up again stronger.

I like building. I like hunting. I like crafting. I like all of it. But I need danger to want to do it.

I'm not trying to be mean. I don't know how to say all this without aggravating someone.

Wurm, by and large, is already one of the most hardcore games available right now. Most mmorpgs hold your hand the whole way and everything is on rails and you can't change anything and it's just a linear progression. So I definitely have no grounds to call anybody a carebear in this game. Just by playing, you're hardcore.

But even within the hardcore crowd there're some that're more hardliner than others. I just happen to be one of the hardliners. I'm the extreme of the extreme. Ironically, I actually try to avoid PvP, though. I've met a lot of players over the years that just love to PvP. Even though I like PvP servers, I don't necessarily like PvPing. I just like the threat. Knowing that players can impact others by killing them adds a sense of solidness to the game and makes it more compelling. Again, it gives me a reason to build and to (defensively) fight. I like overcoming odds.

Edited by Lightonfoot
  • Like 1

Been suggested maybe if you had to pay to even go there it would make enough money to be worth it?

Noooo, please don't make people pay. Because then you would only get a small number of players going there :/