Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Proposed Connection Of Freedom Server Maps

My response from the other thread a bit modified:

I wouldn't scramble the current layout too much, as some people chooce the position of their settlement on what/who is on the other side of the border.

My idea would look something like this:

cluster.png

Align chaos and old freedom borders to scale. The long borders would connect according to which half you sail across.

Pristine and Release can be added north west. A new isle at 1 could be delayed to keep them semi separate through Chaos.

Once the old pristine cluster is added a new pristine cluster for a next wave of fresh characters.

The new pristine could then be added to the south west, either with connectors or without.

Optionally: connect some of the outer borders when appropriate, or add new servers there.

or when you ommit the buffer connectors you could add a third wave of isolated pristine servers.

Edited by Keldun

lol, You know it'll happen at one point right? Btw, I have a noob alt there... place has hardly any coastal space left, deeded or otherwise that is usable. You have almost nothing to worry about. :P

P.S.

Less shipbuilding skills and more Fight Skills for you all, way to many sailboats and not enough creature corpses! lol

Nope! its going to become its own cluster! :D

The bit I don't like is "if you go from the southern hemisphere you go to chaos, from the nothern hemisphere you go to ...." - I don't want to ever even come close to risking going to chaos. IMO chaos should always have a server boundary to itself.

It will not matter really with every new server your going to have to make changes to it. The best way to do it is just to give the option to go to any server you want from your current one from a popup it is the only thing that is future proof and can have as many servers as you need added without everyone getting upset. (the server was moved and does not match up with the one that is use to be..blah blah) Plus ever server is just the next server over making travel so much faster but not taking away the need of boats altogether.

Edited by Kegan

It will not matter really with every new server your going to have to make changes to it. The best way to do it is just to give the option to go to any server you want from your current one from a popup it is the only thing that is future proof and can have as many servers as you need added without everyone getting upset. (the server was moved and does not match up with the one that is use to be..blah blah) Plus ever server is just the next server over making travel so much faster but not taking away the need of boats altogether.

I kind of like how he made things different with travelling taking longer to some places than others.

I don't know about a pop up warp to the next server deal while sailing just doesn't seem right to me.

No; you should not mess with the current servers and how they are connected, simply because some people have based their deed's location on the current existing setup. People may have two deeds (or even more) on different servers and purposely have their deeds placed close to the connecting border; proposing that this be changed would have a major impact on them.

Edited by Alyeska

I kind of like how he made things different with travelling taking longer to some places than others.

I don't know about a pop up warp to the next server deal while sailing just doesn't seem right to me.

well that is what we are doing now we just don't get a choice but we are getting teleported./warped to the next server.

Edit: Maybe the trip can be picked by a right click on the boat? Say you set your boat to Chaos in the right click then when you get to the server crossing the server would see that your boat is set to Chaos and you would end up there. That might take the unwanted popup out of the equation but you would have to remember to change your ships course so to speak if you wanted to go to a different server the next time.

Edited by Kegan

well that is what we are doing now we just don't get a choice but we are getting teleported./warped to the next server

you are being moved to the next server that's in a fixed position.

I don't mind the daisy chain thing like EvE had going one place to the next.

I do mind being transported all over the cluster map instantly with no rhyme or reason.

Wurm has travel and it takes to time to get places, Some people actually choose to live father away so they don't get riff raff popping up on their door step instantly.

You're suggesting making anyone be able to pop on any server just by going to any border.

No way I can go with that one.

Edited by Protunia

Damn i thought protunia was just anti-epic he hates anything on freedom too >.<

• Like 1

Love it, make it a circular trip thing, can travel around the wurm world

you are being moved to the next server that's in a fixed position.

I don't mind the daisy chain thing like EvE had going one place to the next.

I do mind being transported all over the cluster map instantly with no rhyme or reason.

Wurm has travel and it takes to time to get places, Some people actually choose to live father away so they don't get riff raff popping up on their door step instantly.

You're suggesting making anyone be able to pop on any server just by going to any border.

No way I can go with that one.

well it was an idea i think it would not affect my game but if people don't like it fine.

As far as the OP idea i would rather center it around Independance then chaos the center server should not be a PvP server it is too important as a shortcut that it needs to be PvE

No; you should not mess with the current servers and how they are connected, simply because some people have based their deed's location on the current existing setup. People may have two deeds (or even more) on different servers and purposely have their deeds placed close to the connecting border; proposing that this be changed would have a major impact on them.

Sure, lets drop a change that will benefit the vast mayorie of the servers population in order to not to mess with your actual deed placement, and while on that lets revert the new mobs caps because it cause a major impact in the meat factory owners, etc.

+99 to OP

• Like 2

deleted

Edited by Emane

Sure, lets drop a change that will benefit the vast mayorie of the servers population in order to not to mess with your actual deed placement, and while on that lets revert the new mobs caps because it cause a major impact in the meat factory owners, etc.

+99 to OP

This is not about me, I only own one deed. I'm willing to bet there's lots of "frequent travellers" - the ones who would be affected much by this change - since they're the ones that travel a lot- that own deeds or houses on multiple servers and have placed those according to the current setup. Make the web different and wait for additional servers to be added and you can create a setup that doesn't mess with the current system, then maybe.

Also, chaos should never be in the middle of a PVE cluster. If anything, that'd be a nice spot for an event or hunting server, something that is more interesting to the PVE crowd.

This is not about me, I only own one deed. I'm willing to bet there's lots of "frequent travellers" - the ones who would be affected much by this change - since they're the ones that travel a lot- that own deeds or houses on multiple servers and have placed those according to the current setup. Make the web different and wait for additional servers to be added and you can create a setup that doesn't mess with the current system, then maybe.

Also, chaos should never be in the middle of a PVE cluster. If anything, that'd be a nice spot for an event or hunting server, something that is more interesting to the PVE crowd.

I personally feel it would make everyone's lives easier, even if you have your deed placed in a certain place. With the current setup i would hate to imagine how long it would take to go from cele to inde. Most links could still be the same but with better links included.

Any change you do in the currents mechanics or ruleset will make some impact in a number of people.

Like the recent tile/creatures ratio on deed that probably affected every breeder out there, but the change is supposed to improve the life for the majorie of wurm population, so breeders suck it up and adapt. In the same way, the probably measly % of people (i bet less than the 0.5% of the population) affected in a negatve way for a chang like this just will adapt to a new situation that improves the game for the rest of fellow players.

And yes, i´m being selfish, i´m live in Celebration, and with the current setup while i wil like to visit others server i doubt i will do that with the current setup.

I personally feel it would make everyone's lives easier, even if you have your deed placed in a certain place. With the current setup i would hate to imagine how long it would take to go from cele to inde. Most links could still be the same but with better links included.

b1d0a.png

Allows most of the points of the OP but without changing any existing connections, and has room for two extra servers whenever they need to be added. Any server is reachable in one or two server crossings. Every server has a connection with another server on every side of the map, without having to split it into "north half of the eastern border/south half of the easter border" kind of stuff. Chaos may function as a shortcut kind of server between certain "clusters" of the map, but is not required to be travelled.

b1d0a.png

Allows most of the points of the OP but without changing any existing connections, and has room for two extra servers whenever they need to be added. Any server is reachable in one or two server crossings. Every server has a connection with another server on every side of the map, without having to split it into "north half of the eastern border/south half of the easter border" kind of stuff. Chaos may function as a shortcut kind of server between certain "clusters" of the map, but is not required to be travelled.

Although this could work, it now proposes the same exact concept Alyeska that you mentioned. I placed my deed because of it's location and this would simply force me to sail allll the way around just to reach where I want I think Chaos should be where Inde is and Inde can replace chaos in that picture. See? It works both ways, hence why at least my drawing puts every freedom server at equal distance crossing wise.

Why don't people like having a real world, spherical, type of travel pattern? Do we not like how the Earth is created? would we rather have to sail from the United States into Europe, just so we can then travel to Asia, Japan or Australia? I don't think that's very efficient.

I know the majortiy of the opposing posts here are simply because "It's Chaos and pvp and omg noes I don't want to touch it my stuff might get taken!"

Seriously, it's a VIDEO GAME, what is the point of a game (A mechanic of choice and invention of fun that provides positive stimulation while the player is forced to accomplish a goal with risks to add to the difficulty.) If there's zero risk, why are you even playing?

So lets take some examples using the opposition to anything pvp. You can't play Monopoly because you might land in jail or have to pay rent on another players properties. You won't play Halo because another player might have a beam sword. In the grand scheme of life game, you don't go to the grocery because someone in the parking lot might hit your car.

Don't sail afk, or better yet, pay attention to WHERE you are sailing and you won't ever touch Chaos. And you cannot say your location of deed is key to this arguement. So YOU might have to sail an extra bit of time.... think of the 100 other players that it saves some time. Their benefit outweighs yours alone. How is this so hard that people have to oppose making better routes for everyone that does like pvp? It's simply selfish.

Truth be told there is zero ways that will make enough people happy to even be worth Rolf's time coding it. This topic is at least sparking some good thoughts onpossible solutions!

P.S.

I stated in a footnote in my OP that server positions can be changed, yet half the arguement is that Chaos should not be center. Please read the entire post before adding your own whit to it lol.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Good mention, I forgot to clearly point it out. For example here lets use Pristine on that diagram. If you traveled east from Pristine, on the northern hemisphere, you'd cross into Independence. If you traveled east from the southern hemisphere, you'd cross into Chaos. It does seem somewhat complicated at first, but like all good navigators of the seas, people would use sea-charts, maps, and diagrams and follow those when sailing!

I added this example (expounded on it more) to the post, thanks for pointing this out!

Why not just North to Inde, East to Chaos, South to Cele and West to Exo?

Would be a great idea to use when pristine and Release are linked.

Although this could work, it now proposes the same exact concept Alyeska that you mentioned. I placed my deed because of it's location and this would simply force me to sail allll the way around just to reach where I want I think Chaos should be where Inde is and Inde can replace chaos in that picture. See? It works both ways, hence why at least my drawing puts every freedom server at equal distance crossing wise.

I have kept any existing server connections intact and have only added new ones; so that makes it a moot point. I considered how the servers are currently connected and respected those connctions, merely added new ones. Anywhere you have placed your deed now becuase of an existing connection has not changed at all. All that happened is additional connections have been added to make extra shortcuts between servers, allowing for faster travel between those servers and creating a more connected world.

As for the rest of your post: You really need to understand that some people simply have absolutely no interest in the risk factor of chaos, no matter how small. They enjoy their gameplay without that risk of enemy players. The fact there is only one PvP server and six PvE servers should give you a pretty good hint to the crowd you are dealing with on the cluster you are proposing changes for. Then of course they will oppose the artificial centralization of the one single PvP server.

The 100 people that might save some travel time add a hassle of avoiding the now central PvP server for the other 1000 - their benefits outweighs the 100 people that may have a reduced travel time. It works both ways.

Edited by Alyeska

I know the majortiy of the opposing posts here are simply because "It's Chaos and pvp and omg noes I don't want to touch it my stuff might get taken!"

Seriously, it's a VIDEO GAME, what is the point of a game (A mechanic of choice and invention of fun that provides positive stimulation while the player is forced to accomplish a goal with risks to add to the difficulty.) If there's zero risk, why are you even playing?

So lets take some examples using the opposition to anything pvp. You can't play Monopoly because you might land in jail or have to pay rent on another players properties. You won't play Halo because another player might have a beam sword. In the grand scheme of life game, you don't go to the grocery because someone in the parking lot might hit your car.

Don't sail afk, or better yet, pay attention to WHERE you are sailing and you won't ever touch Chaos. And you cannot say your location of deed is key to this arguement. So YOU might have to sail an extra bit of time.... think of the 100 other players that it saves some time. Their benefit outweighs yours alone. How is this so hard that people have to oppose making better routes for everyone that does like pvp? It's simply selfish.

We started on this cluster because it had no PvP it IS a PvE cluster that he moved a defunct PvP server to because there was nothing that could save it thinking it would help in some way...idk

Now why would we want a PvP server to be the center of our PvE cluster?

Edit: tell you what make it so boats/passengers can't be attacked then fine i will gladly sail past you guys all the time to the other PvE servers.

Edited by Kegan

I goofed up my crossing diagram above. I've fixed it. Yep I know not all maps are the same size, hence why a fixed point you enter a server on after crossing would be needed. Cross from <map> at appropriate hemisphere to land on a fixed point on <next map>.

I can safely tell you it's easy to camp borders now on chaos... when I ran Port Benden this is how we got our first drake sets, 3 of them in fact. Not to mention a plethora of enchanted tools and all the boats MR saw on our docks ^.~

I'll update the previous crossing image. Add it to OP as well.

hmmm needs some intresting code, I"m against fixed points however. On chaos people could build "Welcome Centers" by making dirt islands at those points. As per diagram I think that since the smaller servers have a border of about half the size it would work out, you could get a flexiable crossing point with a bit of conversion code. Say you cross about halfway up from the SW corner of chaos, it take ur crossing point, does some maths with the size of Deli's border and then puts you in the aprox area. in translantion.

Edit: *deleted* i don't travel enough anymore to care after second thought so do what you want.

Edited by Kegan