Sign in to follow this  
Sarcaticous

Critters And Fences

Why do animals wander towards fences and then stay there? Thousands of tiles and they are all at the fences. My guess is that there is something wrong with their movement algorithm. Maybe tell them to go in the opposite direction for the next several movements after they reach a fence? It's really crazy the way it is now. And it seems to be only the non agro animals that do this. :blink:

For carnivores it is because their AI paths them looking for the exit, they want out. So either they circle the fence looking for exit, or they stand there looking out hoping the fence will fall. Take down a fence section the carnivores quickly escape, but the grazers just stand there dumbly because they are broken and do not actually path to grass, packed dirt next to wild grass is evidence of this. Instead grazers just path in a general downward trend, and try to eat wherever they happen to be, rather than stupidly saying hey the grass is greener one tile over like they should. Makes it easy to catch a unicorn though, leave a fence section off uphill one will wander in, and you have plenty of time to rebuild the fence. Although unicorns like to run uphill once they are downhill, but in general the other grazers tend downhill and stay there. I have sloped pens and my bison eat dirt in the lowest row.

Edited by yarnevk

No problems with the agro mobs. They don't gather at the fences. They do a good job of wandering around. It's the non agro mobs. I have a heard of over thirty unicorns with a couple cows and horses thrown in gathered at one ten fence section. Most of them are standing on pavement and sand, not grass. We have literally a thousand vacant grass tiles in six settlements in our alliance but the stupid animals stand on pavement and sand by a fence when they could easily reach these thousand grass tiles. Makes no sense at all. There REALLY needs to be some work done on npc pathing and animal behavior before some of this other eye candy gets put in.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Hi,

we got a (mainly off-deed) large pen recently, containing a bear lair. (We didn't make it, we deeded the remains of an abandoned deed). Black bears spawn in it, and it's cute sly ones, so we feed the ones that are inside.

Our usual aggro animals on deed are fed with 1x meal a day, they are happy this way, and fat. In this large pen this doesn't work, the bears are running all over the place, no chance in hell to feed each one it's meal. So we drop fillets in numbers. And they find it. They meet at the drop places, happily feasting on the fillets.

And become fat quite quickly. So I can say, aggros at least find their food.

Btw., deer are quite mobile too, and wouldn't starve in a pen that has at least 50% grazable tiles.

Have fun!