Sign in to follow this  
Fiabeth

Building A House

I just started playing Wurm Online a few days ago. I picked the Release server because it seems to be relatively new, and I’m finally ready to build a little house for myself. I have a few questions though:

Is it better to build near other houses or find a plot of land with no neighbours?

How important is it to have clay, tar and such nearby?

How big should the plot be?

What does my house absolutely need?

Your help would be appreciated!

Its better to stay away from people so you and them can expand and prosper. I recomend near some lake or the sea.

Clay is essential for pottery, masonry etc, so its needed. Tar is really useful as a fuel and if you plan to build ships.

Help yourself with this

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Build_House

welcome to wurm and have fun!!

Hello, i am playing Wurm for 1.5 months now. I am not realy sure if you mean just a little house or your first deed. Here are my feelings/answers to your question:

-I like the feeling to wake up in Wurm in a somewhat remote area, definately not in a village. Loggin in, checking my deed, the animals killed and left behind from my deed-guard...and definately to take a look in the woods sourrounding me and what i can find there...what happened there while i was away. While in a village you can use the other guards or the ones of your neighbours...i strongly recommend when building a remote house in the forrests to get yourself a deed and at least one guard wich protects you while you build.

-I find clay not that important. Yes, go make some pottery bowls and flasks near the lake and go back home. Later if you need more (for a forge), build a small cart and drag it back home filled with your clay. You are too young/unskilled to make stone house walls, so you dont need that much clay. (including a forge maybe 30kg in your first month). Comming to tar, i have not yet used/possessed any of it. I use olive-oil for lamps. Gather olives in the right season or ask a friendly neighbour if he has some. I have two horses and a large cart and IF i feel like building a ship somewhen ... i get my tar via cart. But living in the woods...i doubt that i will build one there :)

But it is important to have an iron-mine around you(max 20-30 tiles away)...better, a iron mine with a built-in-forge for your first nails wich you need for your house!

-My plot/deed is the smallest one possible 5x5, wich means its a 11x11 tiles deed plus its free-5tile-perimeter. That is realy enough for a start.

-You absolutely need some fences around your house, + or better a guard, a forge, not too far to a sea/lake (maybe 30 tiles) for clay, fishing. If you get a guard lure the animals into your deed and he kills them. You dont need fish then...meat tastes better anyway. Sow cotton if you find them. You need a few to make a bed somewhen and to get sleep bonus.

Welcome to Wurm.

Edited by Hatscheputscher

Most people like to have plenty of space around themselves and in this game you do tend to need quite a bit of space for all your needs. Many people also won't see it favorably is you just start building somewhere close by. On the other hand, if you talk to people before you start building your place, they will generally be nice and helpful.

Clay nearby is not too crucial, but you will want to have a source of it reasonably near for when you do happen to need it. Tar is even less crucial and you can also make your own, search the Wiki for Coal making.

What you do need is a reliable source of iron. You'll find it in most mountains, so that means having your own mine or an access to a public one. You also need a water source, so either settle next to a lake/ sea, or find a water tile using a pendulum and build a well or a fountain on it.

The size of the plot depends on your interests and goals, generally a 2x3 house will have enough room for most needs for a long time. Next to it a fence for any animals you want to keep and a few fields for crops.

You will want to build an oven and a forge in your house, put in some storage containers like chests, barrels or coffins, then also bulk storage bins and food storage bins and finally a bed.

As already stated, a deed with a guard is a useful protection and it also keeps your house and fences from decaying, although it's not a must. Still, if you intend to try it out without a deed, look into the ways of protecting your stuff properly. Most people in the game are nice, but there are always some unfavorable characters around as well.

Edited by Manya

Is it better to build near other houses or find a plot of land with no neighbours?

~~~ Depends on your play-style.

How important is it to have clay, tar and such nearby?

~~~ Not very, nice to have iron though.

How big should the plot be?

~~~ Depends on play style.

What does my house absolutely need?

~~~4 walls and a door with a lock

• Like 1