Sign in to follow this  
joojoo1975

Played Wurm All Day Today, Kinda Put Off. Your Input Pls.

So i had the day off, and my bride was at work. So a Great day to do nothing but wurm. Here's how the day went.

woke up round 5:30 am and helped my honey get ready for work and ate breakfast. Got on the game round 7:30am.

from 7:30 till 10 am. stuck around my place foragin/botanizing tryin to find healing mats, for my med wounds i received from the nigh before and was interupted by a black starving wolf(thankfully there were guards) a large rat and a large old crockadile(again, thankyou guards)

got off the game and fiddeled round in house and took dogs out.

back in game round 10:30ish and was all healed up and full, so i took off to scavange from ruins in my area. was a good haul as i found another small cart and some tools as well as a small barrell and nails galore. was back at my place @ noon

after heating up some chili and got my drinks in order, i turned on my sleep bonus and began improving all my tools. I did this till bout 3pm(40 min ago) when i logged, took a shower, made me a bowl of corn and now typing this up waitin for my wife to call me to see what we're thinking bout dinner.

but before i descided to write this(and while eating my canned corn) i took a look at my skill advances and whatnot and the overall feeling I had today, was kinda like i wasted it, nor real skillgains (imho)

To be honest, wasn't too happy. i mean i didn't get any Big leaps in skill advance, in fact most skill advances were .01111 or .03333(sleep bonus)percent increases, though 75% of my skills that i used today were over 15 pts(aproximating here, but you get the idea)

also, just standing there in front of a forge during that time, about an hour into it, i had to have youtube in background as my mind was zoning out.

first off, i don't see how I'm gonna get to a point where i will Need prem. secondly, some of ya guys talk as if your skills are in the 70+ range. is that all your skills or just certain ones. cause i don't see how i'll reach that, ever(i play daily between 1-3 hours, give or take 4 hours)

i dunno, i Really like seeing more animals(it helps from the motanity), but it's damn hard tryin to just sit there and improving your gear. how do you guys cope with it and what's your strategy/coping methods when dealing with the game?

thankyou for your imput, I value it.

I don't grind for skills like some people do i would have quit a long time ago if i did. I just play the game building and gathering resources for what i need at the time and the skills just come with time. I am at a little over two years now and i am just now seeing my skills going over the 70-80 mark. The bottom line is this game takes time to level skills even more with characteristics but if you can get some good tools with high CoC that helps a little making the gains better when your using SB.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 13

so your a casual player and it took you two years to get to 70's?

is that what your saying?

Turn off the .00000 skillgains.. its too early in the game to watch those :P

• Like 4

I think he's saying stop focusing on skills and start focusing on goals .. which is totally what i do. I have a nice fat todo list and each day i start at the top of the list do a bit of A, until bored, then i do a bit of B, until i'm bored then i do a bit of .. etc etc etc

• Like 7

im casual, been playing a year got a lot skills in the 70s, but u can do it faster. :-)

It depends on your play style really, I know a few people who can get 90 in a skill in about a week. Different skills are easy/more difficult to raise. A casual player tends to skill a lot of general skills all at once slowly. If you're looking to get in the high leagues quickly then you're going to have to get some serious grind on the go. I have played for various years now, I always tend to aim high in skills but they're just sub-goals, the construction side to this game and exploring is so much more fun. I always plan projects in my head to do. It's always good to set up with friends as they will inspire you to create wonderful things too!

• Like 1

I blame the chili. Grinding blows and I am with Kegan on this one.....I just play and let me stats worry about themselves.

pretty much they slow down a lot after 70 but i dont look at how i can max my skill gains with the right ql tools and everything i just buy the best coc/woa tools i can get and let the skills come naturally Some of the other guys might be able to tell you how to gain faster but that is not for me i am fine as long as i can get the job done as fast as i can.

Find skills you enjoy doing, get into a village. I never enjoy doing 'daily chores' skills such as farming or cooking, which is why after 6 years I still only have 15 farming. I much prefer smithing and fighting. Playing in a village means you don't have to worry about doing everything yourself which tends to slow you down doing tasks you like. Have a friend take up chainsmithing while you do blacksmithing for example.

This is how I started off, I took up blacksmithing while my buddy took up Carpentry. Eventually when we settled and knew how to play the game well and learn it's mechanics I ended up deciding I like to do everything myself. Slowly, one skill at a time I raised them until I didn't need to depend on others, only for things I didn't like (which I am forever grateful for haha)

• Like 1

It would be very hard for anyone to get 70-90+ in most any skill in a week btw.

Some skills with the very best experience gaining gear and tons of Sleep Bonus using sleep powder and referals you might do that.

Seriously though if you want fast skills Epic gives you fast skills and a curve to your skills so they are more effective.

Epic also is also PvP enabled as well.

• Like 1

well, i try and wanna do that, but that's just it. I was prem some time ago, and went out and made my house and stone fence and my gardens and whatnot. but it all got boring real fast. i mean the Mol Rehan chat is good sometimes, but most times it just feels like a single player game. I mean, I don't even know how long it takes to walk across the server and there's on avg what 40+ peeps online. most of my time i see1-3 peeps in local, but it's a bluemoon if i ever run into one. of course the last time i ran into a peep he was a non violent griefer(tried to wall me in, and just screw with my stuff) that was kinda exciting. Dunno, was hoping i was doing something terriblly wrong or something like that.

who knows

Welcome to your First burn out, XD this is normal just means you either start taking breaks between play or you use 2 monitors and play some videos or background music, you were grinding alot but thats good, just you know , it can wear you out when you do that :D

Having a lively village can also help with this XD i have 1 villager thats very random and keeps me on my toes

well, i guess it's time for me to find a village in Mol Rehan then

• Like 1

When i started, everything was feeling slow too, but it helped alot to set different aims, smaller aims to keep the fun of playing and not watching the skillgain (btw i get only a skillgain message of 1 per tick so it wont annoy me with 0,0000 ticks) and I almost never have my skill window open^^

sooo every time i Logged in I said to myself: today I want to groom and refeed all my horses, if thats done and I still have time left I can think about other stuff ;) or if I have bigger plans, I'm trying to get free time ingame from every day chores....so I asked a neighbour to watch after my horses aslong as im busy somewhere else^^

and so on :)

Some men are born to grinding, others have grinding thrust upon them

• Like 1

I'm gonna push the boat out and say, if it took you 4.5hrs imping your tools to gain 0.0333 skill at just over 15 skill you are doing it wrong. My guess is u aren't waiting for stamina to regenerate, or you are using crazy high tools with no nutrition, or you are attempting way too difficult / too easy tasks.

In short, I get probably 10x that skill imping items at 40-70 skill in the same amount of time. You're doing it wrong. As for the rest, I agree with the above sentiments.

Especially seeing as he's on Epic, so the skillgain bonuses and stuff would apply

when i first started wurm i was horrible at grinding

now i'm a lot better and enjoy it :P

well, i try and wanna do that, but that's just it. I was prem some time ago, and went out and made my house and stone fence and my gardens and whatnot. but it all got boring real fast. i mean the Mol Rehan chat is good sometimes, but most times it just feels like a single player game. I mean, I don't even know how long it takes to walk across the server and there's on avg what 40+ peeps online. most of my time i see1-3 peeps in local, but it's a bluemoon if i ever run into one. of course the last time i ran into a peep he was a non violent griefer(tried to wall me in, and just screw with my stuff) that was kinda exciting. Dunno, was hoping i was doing something terriblly wrong or something like that.

who knows

You are on epic. 2x skillgain and a curve and its still too slow for you? I am sorry but maybe this game isnt for you then...

Are you wanting to play or just hurry up and get to the end? There are a lot of things to do along the way.

I have been playing about six weeks. I decided my path was going to be a bit different than my previous games - for the most part I just play, let the skills come as they do. The only grinding I do is project related, like, I have a large hillside of dirt to move so when I feel like it i'm moving it with my shovel, large cart and horses - I have two monitors so I watch shows on Hulu while i'm doing it. The only time I check the skill tab is out of occasional curiosity or to see if my mining is up enough to imp some of my tools.

A friend gave me a few horses and a cow with their ropes, but other than that I think I've built just about everything I use.

I make my nails, I made all my tools, I built my house and carts and fences. Chipped away at the mine, hauled cart after cart of rocks to make carts of bricks for a wall I work on when the feeling strikes. Oh the forge and well were here when I moved in so I can't count those.

I have a short daily routine that takes less than 15 minutes: Tending to and harvesting farm tiles - I can't wait to grow enough food to stop the most mind numbing act of foraging. Then I tend to the horses (bred the pair and have one new and one on the way) and cow (which is lonely). Although I have been known to do this more than once on the weekends.

After that i'm off to do whatever - some days I go for a walk and explore the land around the deed maybe go after some rats or lead a spider to the guards (FS less than 5), not so casually now that critter spawns are on the up. Maybe hitch up the cart and go for a drive, scavenge a bit of meat here and there.

My Digging 49, Mining 27, Blacksmith 23, and Carpenter 32 skills are moving along pretty well, body strength 22.5 and stamina 21.7 creeping up and I see improvement in my character pretty much daily.

But then again I don't have any deadlines and i'm not on a PVP server so I'm not in any real hurry. I have seen a lot of people rush to get to the top of a skill just to burn out and not enjoy what they are doing (this game and others).

Take a deep breath, enjoy the game and get the bride to do some grinding for you while your at it, lol.

Edit:

to add numbers above and to say none of this was to say any play style is better - just a different view - above all else you need to enjoy what you are doing.

Edited by Butoxy

When I started Wurm, I hated grinding, but it took me 4 months into playing to realize, that in order to have high skills i was going to need to raise them. Having high skills would gain me respect from others and independence. It was extremely hard for me to have the patience and understanding of the skilling system to get high skills. But over time my patience has become infinite and I feel i know nearly all there is to know about skilling effectively. Now when i am skilling i find it soothing to my mind and i can daydream and doze off. For me, Wurm is about getting skills as high as possible as fast as possible. For you, Wurm might be about something else. So my advice to you, is to make a goal, make a plan, and go with it. But to succeed at anything in Wurm, your going to need patience. Alot of it.

Seems like too low gains if your about 15 in your skills. try to queue the max amount

of actions you can without actually running out of stamina. 2 or 3 for your skill,

maybe. Keep a full belly, food i dont like to let it go below like 75% when I grind.

and water so stamina comes back up fast.

Also try to grind up to and a bit above your level. if your 15 grind up to 20,

for example. Then start over. youll need several items to grind this way, 10, 20, 100,

depending how hardcore you want to grind.

Some other good tips here, but you dont need to follow them religiously, just what you like and are

able to. http://wurmpedia.com...ng_With_Uzetaab

Many players have many skills over 70 but theyve been playing easily over 6 months, even multiple

years for some. Here some players have volunteered theyre stats for everyone to see. http://wurm.riceri.se/top.php

If you dont like the grind aspect of the game too much, you can get equipment, weapons and tools other ways.

Your imagination is the limit. Meaning you can play by just exploring or socializing, or any way you wish.

If you get too focused on the grind you burn out, unless you actually love grinding.

Edited by Griffith

guess i'm just unlucky then

non prem.

started off i have all my tools a heating. they were 7ish quality, i got them to low 20's quality. hammer, Lsword, shield, anvils, knives(carv/butcher) chisel mallet etc etc. now mind you most of these tools i have 2-3 of the same kind(so when mr hammer needs beaten on by another hammer etc)

i get a lot of failures around the 20's, but i usually get skill increase with those failures.

just right before i quit(half hour ago) i raised up me carving knife from 13Q to 23Q but now i have skillgain updates off. so i dont know what it increased by.

as for food, i'm full with 53% nutrition. my cave has a water hole. and that's full. only thing i triple stack is mining. so who knows.