Sign in to follow this  
Ratlin

Koster Is Unemployed

From that article it seems like he wants to create his *own* game. It might be cool to have him as a consultant to Wurm but I actually think Rolf has his own ideas of the direction in which he wants Wurm to progress, so even in that capacity Koster would not be needed and perhaps even be a disruption. A great game Ultima Online though in which he was something or the other.

=Ayes=

I believe Wurm could benefit greatly if Rolf were to contract out some work to Raph Koster to create a living gameworld.

Rolf and Notch did a good job on the physical side of things, and yet a fresh, experienced view might help in deciding future direction for deepening and enhancing gameplay related to the terrain. Specifically, I expect Koster would have a few insights on ore distribution, which was an important feature in Star Wars Galaxies.

In the area of NPC and creature AI, Wurm is basically at the ground floor. Raph Koster could design logical behaviours for everything from Spiders to Goblins. Wurm is also at entry level on plant growth and the spread of plants. I don't know that Raph Koster has specific experience with it, but it's right up his alley. We could end up with soil types supporting different plants, crop rotation due to a nutrient model, animals that run from people unless hungry (which most smart animals do), and goblins and trolls who, left alone for a bit, build camps and craft simple items for their own use.

It is also possible that Richard Garriot will call up his old colleague with a smile tomorrow and offer him a job on Shroud of the Avatar. Or Chris Roberts could ask him for help designing the world in Star Citizen. But if they don't, I'd be glad to see him here and hear what he has to say.

- Teggs