Sign in to follow this  
Kiddoo

Most Important Skills For A Soloer Jaot

Greetings again friends! :)

It's a new day... so it's time for me to stress you with a new question, hoping that once again I'll get some great answers. :D

Well... the question is quite simple - which are the most important skills to develop first for a soloer jack of all trades?

I know that you'll say probably <it depends what you want to achieve>. :) Well, pretty much I want to be able to build a nice home and live a peaceful country life, nothing really fancy. And yeah, I want to be as self-sufficient as possible.

I thought that woodcutting, mining, carpentry, masonry, farming and hot food cooking would be some good skills to have... but again, I'm a real noob, so I count on you for getting some correct answers. :)

Thank you a lot in advance!

Hugs and kisses,

Alex

Running and screaming... expect to do a lot of both through deep forests at night.

imo carpentry, blacksmithing, woodcutting, mining, masonry, and digging are some of the most important skills if you're gonna be solo. maybe leatherworking or chain smithing so you can keep armor imped

• Like 1

Pretty much the above with the addition of Farming, Hot Food Cooking, and Stone Cutting.

actually carpentry, fine carpentry, woodcutting, stonecutting, blacksmithing, mining, farming, hot food cooking, fighting, digging and some wits ;) as example its always a good idea to build more then one entrance path to your deed, so if a troll comes from one side you can escape to the other side XD

additional things that can replace some others:

- if doing lots of bulk stuff you can try to sacrifice rares instead of making food as a follower of a god ;)

- masonry instead of carpentry for houses ^^

- ropemaking to lead animals and maybe taming if you want your special survival horse or food supplies for meat ;)

- weapon smithing and some sort of armor thing like leathermaking and so on to protect yourself

- ship building can be useful depending on where you live

OR forget everything i said above and buy slaves(still count as solo play XD) and buy the high ql stuff you can't or don't want to make yourself :P hehehe

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 2

Get your FS to 70, not even kidding, just makes life easier.

Edited by Elen

Just go at it and you'll discover what skills are important to you! The great thing with Wurm is if you realize you need a new skill, you can just go ahead and develop it while you achieve your goals with your village or whatever else you're trying to create! good luck!

Blacksmithing and Carpentry (Fine carpentry) are really important to me. This assures good ql tools that you use everyday.

I agree with Warrior. Instead of deciding which skills to develop, just work on the things you want to do. So building a house will give you digging, woodcutting, carpentry, blacksmithing, mining. If you decide you want to have a farm you'll get foraging, botanizing, farming.

You'll get the skills from what you do, and I find it more enjoyable to focus on the results instead of what skills I have.

Well barring the things you'll need to set up a deed: (digging/mining - depending on where you're building, but mining especially for higher QL iron -, carpentry, masonry [though unless you want stone buildings, this is not vital because barring the occasional troll, nothing can damage your on deed walls/fences in Freedom] then you could consider the following:

Woodcutting (to get the materials to be able to imp tools etc.)

Blacksmithing - being able to keep your tools at a reasonable QL is thoroughly underestimated by the new player.

Some form of armour skill, most popularly leatherworking (studded leather armour) or chain armour smithing. Leatherworking can also help with toolbelts and horse gear. Being able to maintain your own armour is incredibly useful.

A bit of fine carpentry (really makes building beds, chests and the like SOOO much easier).

Some Butchering - makes getting healing cover components, a decent pelt, meat and the like much more regular. Also, a reasonable chance at good QL charcoal from lava creatures is not to be sniffed at!

Farming - higher QL and larger harvests are incredibly useful.

Elen has a fair point with the Fighting Skill. Do go on regular hunts, and where possible, avoid calling for help from tower guards (you gain far less FS than for a solo kill). It will make your life SO much easier when it comes to travelling.

Otherwise, just see what you do more of. I've spent the last 4 years in a similar sort of role and I VERY rarely skill something for the sake of it or because I feel I need to have that skill higher. I have some fairly reasonable skills just because I've ended up doing whatever it might be so much.

• Like 2

Just go at it and you'll discover what skills are important to you! The great thing with Wurm is if you realize you need a new skill, you can just go ahead and develop it while you achieve your goals with your village or whatever else you're trying to create! good luck!

This sums it up nicely. The skills you need will *unveil* themselves to you as you go about building up your homestead. One skill that I have always found to be paramount to any self sufficient player is farming, since the need to feed oneself can not be avoided without severly nerfing ones stamana. Fighting aggros can be totally avoided with the use of tower guards help or a Spirit Templar on deeds, so I wouldn't waste any productive building time training fighting skills or wearing any armor that will slow you down while dragging carts or running to lure aggros off to their deaths elsewhere. Happy building.

=Ayes=

Thank you a lot to all of you for the great advises; and sorry if I couldn't "like" all of them - it's not my fault, but of the daily limit. :P

Digging, woodcutting and minning. If you want to solo, you'll need these high up, since it will be the source of your mats.

Agree.

I would say a bit of hfc so you dont starve but some people do well with sacrificing and path of love refresh.

I'd add blacksmithing and fightskill to your original list. Other than that, everything is there to be self-sufficient aside from weapons and armour (of which I'd recommend you buy them from other players since weaponsmithing and armoursmithing skills aren't really worth it.)

In terms of tips, I'd say you should try to build stone houses over wooden ones. It takes longer but if you aren't going to be living on a deed (which it kinda sounds like) then stone lasts a lot longer.

I agree with the sentiment: the best thing is just check what you need/want to do next and do it, the skills will develop on their own.

The only time you might want to keep track of the skills is when you make a second character. For example if you have a Magranon Priest. It is often a good idea to have him do all the mining. Fo and Vynora priests should be doing the farm work and cooking.