Sign in to follow this  
Shiraek

Where Did Shiraek Go? My Own Project!

In our biggest update ever, players can now build their own starbases, mine asteroids, harvest from gas giants and salvage lost technology from wrecked ships!

A whole host of smaller improvements and fixes have also gone live.

On the technology side, the game client is now multi-threaded, which means planets look better, sooner, while framerates stay high.

starbase1.jpg

Starbase!

asteroidmining.jpg

Asteroid mining!

I don't know if I'm just being selfish, but the impression I've gotten from ships is Star Wars + Firefly, just in the screenshots you've linked.. (first one looks like Boba/Jango Fett's ship, and last one looks like that big Alliance vessel in Serenity. :D

But who cares, ofc, game looks neat, may try it out. :)

• Like 1

This looks like something I've been wanting to play for a very long time. I loved both X3 and Freelancer, and this looks like both, gameplay-wise.

I'll definitly be giving it a go later. Nice work so far Shiraek. :)

P.S. The first pic in Shiraek's last post looks like it was based on a Klingon Bird of Prey. :P

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm just being selfish, but the impression I've gotten from ships is Star Wars + Firefly, just in the screenshots you've linked.. (first one looks like Boba/Jango Fett's ship, and last one looks like that big Alliance vessel in Serenity. :D

But who cares, ofc, game looks neat, may try it out. :)

Just replaced that first ship actually with a new model...

We're definitely not trying to look like star wars, firefly or any other pre-existing content :)

• Like 1

Been a while since I've updated this post... combat is now very much in, and we're getting close to the point where we'll ask for preview articles I think. I need to fix a bunch of stuff and add a few minor features and we're there.

You can now customise your ship's look - tint the main hull to any degree in any colour, select a highlights colour, and a third colour for windows/glow.

customise.jpg

That's cool! Poke me if you'll need some additional hands with programming. :)

• Like 1

Update: have now gone live with the full Milky Way simulated. >274billion star systems. So far players have explored maybe a hundred :)

strange-gas-giant.jpg

Will be adding the existing starbase and planet-surface settlement construction functionality to the new systems as the next big thing.

Wow- has been a while since I went on Ascent- TheSpaceGame but the progress has been nothing short of astonishing.

Continued good luck.

• Like 1

Voted for Ascent on Greenlight, Its certainly come along way since the last time I posted on this thread! :)

• Like 1

Congratulations Shiraek looks a neat game! Proud to be in the same country as you. :D

• Like 1

Tried out this game yesterday, and I am hooked. I am up to a Unicorn and some 200,000C now. :D

Still trying to grasp the mechanics of it all though. And thanks Shiraek for solving the bug. ;)

• Like 1

I figured my fellow Wurmians in particular might be interested in this update:

http://www.thespacegame.com/colonies.html

"As of May 2014, I am literally exploding with excitement to tell you that players can now actually Colonize the outer planets!

This feature at last brings true Sandbox play to Ascent's insane 270,000,000,000 star system galaxy, allowing players to construct and populate cities of any size. Colony claim "deeds" have a 100km radius each, and there is no hard coded limit to the number of buildings that can be constructed in a single city. Players are limited only by their imagination, wealth and resources within the game.

Designed as a complete city building and harsh environment colonization simulation within the already well-featured space MMO, colonies are the new Industrialist end-game for Ascent, the peak achievement for such a player. As such they have an entirely new level of depth, complexity and difficulty. Unlike player built cities in the inner systems, the new colonies have a hostile environment and no supporting infrastructure or readily available workforce, an effective balance to the lack of restriction and vast open space available."

colony4.jpg

played it long ago, back when this thread was first posted. all i can say is WOW.

Is there no longer a way for Mac users to play? :(

Ahh, the web client is free, pc is cash. 

Edited by Radni

I tried it briefly, wasn't too impressed with the combat in the tutorial. I kept waiting for it to tell me how to fire my lasers, until I realized that my lasers were automatically firing at it long as I kept aiming at the drone. Was hoping it'd be more like Starfox where I can actually shoot lasers and bombs at will even if there's no target. I like being able to actually miss when it comes to games that involve PEW PEW PEW~!