Sign in to follow this  
sinelael

Wood Essences Modifications Needed

Wood Essences  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer ?

• The last plank give the wood type... is good for me and I dont want to change
    • An item has to be made with 50%+ of an essence to have the bonus of this wood type
    • An item has to be made with 75%+ of an essence to have the bonus of this wood type
    • An item has to be made with 100% of an essence to have the bonus of this wood type
    • I have a better idea and I post it right now !

Give some real value to wood essences.

An item as to be made with 50%+(or more) of an essence otherwise it is only a wood item without type and doesnt have the bonus from any essence.

It can give a real boost to a valuable forest diversification, an incentive to manage forests on deed and open a REAL market for woods. May be we need more bonus on wood types.

Actually I just need to have 4 or 5 cedar trees on my deed and I can make all my stuff in cedar....Tomorrow if I want to make my stuff in cedar I have to really manage my timberland or buy more cedar from a logger.

Edited by sinelael

worst possible suggestion. How do you see building lets say apple Knarr or caravel? half the server will be growing you apple trees or you actually prepared to spend full real year growing apple trees to get enough wood?

Huge -1

Ouch factor on oak alone... (for me and my opinion)

I do think its reasonable the object should be made of 100% of the wood type realistically, this is a game however and really dose not need that type of realism.

I voted to keep the 1 plank finish for wood type.

Ddboy

That is the point !

You can give here a real value to apple wood. If you want your caravel made in apple wood you have to look for this essence and buy apple wood on the market. Wood essence comes alive and has a price. Actually any wood is just wood ! There is no point to look for a particular wood. With this change... wood essence are really worth something. It is a big add to the gameplay.

Lawurm:

I am sure the 100% is not a good idea. I voted for the 75% wich is a very good value according to me. Realism is not a goal here.

Edited by sinelael

I like the has to be made mostly of that wood type.

The whole add one tiny piece and its all that is bleh.

Sure it might make people have to be selective in what they grow to make some item, but then those would be more special.

Edited by Protunia

I like the idea behind this, but it would be really impractical in everyday situations. If there was a way to make this work without making it super tedious/overcomplicated, I'd be all for it,

I like the idea behind this, but it would be really impractical in everyday situations. If there was a way to make this work without making it super tedious/overcomplicated, I'd be all for it,

there is grow trees.

ohh as far as knowing your %

yeah it would be a long list on examine...

Edited by Protunia

Fine the way it is, no need to make it harder and more complex

Edited by Shrimpiie

Ahhh essence, a wonderful term to apply to your dubious suggestion. Well worded too, in the follow up sentence of forest diversification as a justification for the process; however, after this you loose my interest with your desire to make more work out of creating various wood objects to suit the diverse wood types offered. Stick with your ability to turn a phrase to its best effect and you will do well but as to the concept that you are endorsing here, I say nay or even neigh if the horse reference is more equitable. Fun with words, to be sure. Happy trails.

=Ayes=

I for one support this because I think it's terribly the idea that the last wood type added determines the wood type of the finished product. This concept is complete ludicrous and the only reason why it's accepted is because it's the current norm.

It should be based on the majority at least.

What are the complaints against it?

worst possible suggestion. How do you see building lets say apple Knarr or caravel? half the server will be growing you apple trees or you actually prepared to spend full real year growing apple trees to get enough wood?

A full year? Obviously you're exaggerating because it might take an extra week tops to repurpose part of your forests to applewood. I'd also go as far as to suggest much better alternatives. Look at coc/woa as a perfect example, everyone and their grandmothers has a vyn priest, and if they don't they buy tools with the coc/woa enchants on them, what's the harm in adding more value to a fo priests wild growth spell?

Also, as the OP pointed out, this could actually create a market for wood, I'm not sure how anyone would think that adding to the trading in Wurm is a bad thing, but obviously a few of them have already replied to this thread.

The best reason I seen so far against the idea is that it might be very complicated, but we already know dmg values are stored for unfinished items, charcoal piles retain any dmg done on them while incomplete and carry that dmg over when completed. We also know there is a few database values for every item, including RGB values, so what's the harm in adding an array to the wood type variable on wood based items?

One of the things your not considering though is that the harvestable trees give you almost no wood. Trying to make 50% of a knarr out of apple at that point would require massive amounts of trees to make a boat that simply has a different graphic. As far as I know it doesn't give you any sort of bonus like oak or cedar does. I doubt anyone would make them at that point or at least not for a price someone would be willing to pay. Additionally it's not just the amount of time that oak takes to mature that's the issue. The fact you can't grow anything near it is another problem which again would require you to have a massive amount of land devoted to that particular tree just to build one boat.

• Like 1

Make some polish with alchemy to give the look of appletree but if you want the apple tree bonuses ( I said we needed more bonus) you have to grow/find/buy apple trees at the market price. It gives a real value and price to wood this way. Now what value can have a apple tree ? nothing more than another log. There is no market for essences.