Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Creatures Not Entering Deed, Plus Bugfixes

oh about this, im sure your not gonna ride your horse out there and *poof* desease, it takes a long time for desease, now if you leave your horse out there fore lets say... 6 hours im sure it might get sick but thats not bad, just take it back into a deed and brush it and soon its all better

Lol, *before* the patch I've had cart horses get diseased during a short trip -- more than once! -- because me and the two horses counted as 3 "animals" for the purpose of breeding.

So sorry to burst your bubble there.

Ok, I'm new here guys. This is my first post and I only have 12 days played. I've purchased a deed near one of my friends, bought 2 spirit guards. I understand what you older wurmians are saying here but let me say as a new player I am unhappy with the mobs not wandering on deed. As a new player the few corpses i found on my zone line fulfilled those basic things like meat, fur, pelts. I find it hard to understand how those few mobs wandering onto my deed and being killed interupted any spawn for hunters especially now that 10,000 more spawns have been added. I mean did I just spend good silver to have the benefits of a free guard tower taken away?

As I said, i understand what you guys are saying when it comes to long time players hunting and with the recent penned animal changes but I fell like i just got a small part of my game taken away. It honestly feels like new players just aren't wanted here.

As I said I'm new to the community and loving this game so you can take my comments from that stand point but this change is really disappointing to me.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm new here guys. This is my first post and I only have 12 days played. I've purchased a deed near one of my friends, bought 2 spirit guards. I understand what you older wurmians are saying here but let me say as a new player I am unhappy with the mobs not wandering on deed. As a new player the few corpses i found on my zone line fulfilled those basic things like meat, fur, pelts. I find it hard to understand how those few mobs wandering onto my deed and being killed interupted any spawn for hunters especially now that 10,000 more spawns have been added. I mean did I just spend good silver to have the benefits of a free guard tower taken away?

As I said, i understand what you guys are saying when it comes to long time players hunting and with the recent penned animal changes but I fell like i just got a small part of my game taken away. It honestly feels like new players just aren't wanted here.

As I said I'm new to the community and loving this game so you can take my comments from that stand point but this change is really disappointing to me.

Nothing stops you from leading some mobs into your Deed if Meat or whatever is needed, and belive me, seeing Deeds that are surrounded by Meat-Walls are really not nice.

I really like that my Deed is finally clean and no Animal Graveyard.

Lol, *before* the patch I've had cart horses get diseased during a short trip -- more than once! -- because me and the two horses counted as 3 "animals" for the purpose of breeding.

So sorry to burst your bubble there.

Then you just have bad luck, i havent had a single horse go sick on a trip oven on my days where i travelled for 10h+

and they are talking about PVP and Hunting, you dont take a cart in those trips

Why did i find like usually ( when I log in I have to kill a couple lions or spiders on deed everyday) 2 lions on my deed if they are not to enter it? Does that mean they spawned on deed and never left?

EDIT: if creatures are going to spawn on my deed It gonna be hard to stay at ratio cause I had to kill off half my fun of playing the game ( my 6 species on deed ) just so I wouldn't lose any babies or grown animals yesterday, I cant very well set my templar to kill aggro since well I breed aggros on my deed so wtf man

Edited by Airwalkre

While it is nice that we can finally clean up the deed, it is sad that we have no real need for Templars anymore. For one day (yesterday) life was really exciting again.

Creatures not entering deeds unless kited there is like Chistmas for me, This rates right up there with bsb, and multi-story housing. I hated it when it was removed a cpl of years ago, I'm so happy to see it returned, Yet another thing renewing my faith in wurm. Like many I mainly use the forums to occasional express discontent with a change i dont like. I dont often enough say Thank you so much, the team is putting out wondeful work.

• Creatures should now properly avoid entering deeds and spirit guards should not usually hunt them outside either unless they bash

Why didn't Rolf just make it so that aggros without the bred in captivity trait (that's supposed to be in-game sometime if it isn't now) don't count against the ratio? That would be so much more helpful than making creatures avoid deeds.

Kinda makes templars useless on PvE servers because if you ever pulled aggros on deed then you could just call your tower guards, which have no monthly cost associated with them.

Edited by Laiwyn

It will take a while, but I think voting with majority monthly guard fees will get Rolfs attention more than some IRC vocal minority earbenders ever will. That is 1s for every guard who basically serves no purpose other than KOS rights now, which many players lose anyways. You do not need a guard to oil your perimeter lamps, nor fix your fence, as that is what upkeep pays for. Yes it was a daily subscription service for meat as a perk of a deed and which already had an optional setting for those who wanted to hunt on their deed and not let the templar do it. It was for those PVE types that prefer to breed and farm, something that many many many people paid for not having to hunt.

Now they do not have to pay for a guard they are basically useless, so it is pretty simple. Stop paying for your guard. No arguments of well you should still be able to troll something on deed and have your guard kill it, because if you are near the animal deed ratio and that extra animal or two breaks the ratio, it might result in dead farm animals if you do. Maybe then Rolf will more carefully consider the change such as above poster suggested and used the bred in captivity flag as the animal ratio, which is a change that would not have required guards to change.

Or we could continue with the IRC kneejerk rants whenever they see Rolf on there hoping he will do a kneejerk change forcing others that pay for the game to play how they want them too, then make another kneejerk change hoping to fix it after the forum outcry, then finally giving up saying he does not have time to be jerked around development style we have now.

Edited by yarnevk

I don't have guards and can't test this. I'm not in favor of, "spirit guards should not usually hunt them".

The proper way is like this:

1. Animals/mobs will not pathfind onto deed tiles while not chasing other players. In other words, when not pursuing a player they will not go onto a deed.

2. Mobs will not target players on deeded tiles.

3. Mobs will follow players onto deeds if they had targeted said player outside, (assuming 2 works this is the only way mob will follow).

Lastly, this should only apply to deeds with guards.

perfect this is how it should be.

Ok I don't know about all this animal ratio crap all I want to know is why should I spend money for spirit guards when I can have tower guards for free. Plus i'd rather spend 20 mins cleaning kills than an hour leading 3 spiders on to my deed.

Thanks Rolf you just saved me at least 6 silvers a month.

Edited by Castile
  • Like 2

all I want to know is why should I spend money for spirit guards when I can have tower guards for free.

Ähm...nothing changed there, the "why pay Templars if i got Tower Guards" is nothing new.

OK, seriously, get rid of this ratio thing. It's bullcrap. It screws breeders, and where I live (Serenity), we do not have a breeding problem. Our animals should not get diseased because we want to have a lot of them or they are off deed. Being on a PvP server, we need a lot of horses, seeing as horses are the first targets in PvP. Also, we wouldn't need so many horses if traits given when breeding weren't so random, we didn't have inbreeding penalties, and mobs didn't kill our horses. I have loved this game for a long time, but with all these crappy changes, console games are looking better by the day. Please remove the ratio change, and maybe make it possible to breed animals without owning dozens of them, and the game will be a lot better. I'm assuming many players, who breed animals as their primary source of silver or just for fun, may decide to quit if this goes on much longer. Deed owners are paying to have their animals protected, not killed off by game mechanics.

• Like 1

Well, think about it this way, you now have extra disease chance off-deed all the time, so do the math. I haven't logged in yet today, haven't been on much lately, real life catching up.

Just found 2 diseased trolls in the first minutes...

I will wait til the bug appears to be fixed where animals won't come on deeds anymore. Then all my templars are gone. I only had them on the newb deed in order to protect them until they got their fight skill up. So I will say thanks for the savings.

I believe you still able to brush your horses to avoid the disease. I used to bring my grooming brush when I know I will be away from deed for a few days with my pair of horses. Nothing major happening here, my hellhorses were fine even that I left them for a day out of deed with 3-4 in 3x2 pens :P . And remember that disease don't kill instantly.

@Void: knock the hostility, I don't even see you with tons of animals and you can see cat's animals are just fine ;) .

The whole thing is tricky indeed but it is unlikely that the devs can test these updates (impact wise) in test server so atm we are the test subjects.

Think of it we have more terrible options

like having wurm act like other mmos where players' animals are so limited

or

No optimization of animals and items made and so one day the whole wurm 1.0 become obsolete as everyone will use low setting PLUS database overload.

or

The outrageous low cap based on AH for everyone as proposed on the 'penning feedback' thread.

I though it was all of us that screams that wurm need optimization, the irc log rolf shows it just one of it (I still hold my opinion that fps lag and monsters pop aren't a valid argument on that pictures). While I would like it be done on how to render graphics optimization, I have no knowledge or access to the codes to know how to optimize it. What I can do is just express my dislike when something impact me, then step back a bit observe and report what I find and if many got the same impact then I have faith they will reconsider it.

wurm201303271837_zps29e22f7c.jpg

Thanks again rolf, there is half or slight more of my fun of the game lately dead on the ground ( not including my other deed and the half of its animals dead that I posted earlier ). I take this nerf as not a nerf but a golf club to the head I'm sorry rolf but you killed to much of my fun and I'm the 1% of 1% affected by the change that is going to sell off his accounts so I won't be paying any more money. Maybe the person who buys my accounts will, if no one buys I wont be back my deeds and will slowly decay away.

• Like 2

Thanks again rolf, there is half or slight more of my fun of the game lately dead on the ground ( not including my other deed and the half of its animals dead that I posted earlier ). I take this nerf as not a nerf but a golf club to the head I'm sorry rolf but you killed to much of my fun and I'm the 1% of 1% affected by the change that is going to sell off his accounts so I won't be paying any more money. Maybe the person who buys my accounts will, if no one buys I wont be back my deeds and will slowly decay away.

Should have gotten a larger deed, look like thats too many animals to a small pen

• Like 5

Just found 2 diseased trolls in the first minutes...

Well i went hunting for hours and my horse is fine :D

Should have gotten a larger deed, look like thats too many animals to a small pen

Was going to say that to the last pic they posted also.

Was going to say that to the last pic they posted also.

You can see that he has alot of nonrendered live hellhorses

Whats even the point on having THAT horrible amount of Animals?

No wonder there must be something done.

I remember times on Indy where you could wander 8h+ arround and dont see any wild Animal.

• Like 1

I still see lots alive back there!! show us more!! :D

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

That guy had way too many animal any one person should have.

Sign in to follow this