Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Make It Illegal To Sell Accounts

Make it Illegal to Sell Accounts  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be Illegal to Sell Accounts?

• Yes, I've played this game for over a year and I support this.
    • Yes, I've played this game for less than a year and I support this.
    • No, I've played this game for over a year and I don't support this.
    • No, i've played this game for less than a year and I don't support this.
    • I have no opinion.

I would be trying a lot harder to skill up if i knew everyone else had work just as hard.

They technically worked harder then you if they bought it. Just `saying. :o

• Like 1

They technically worked harder then you if they bought it. Just `saying. :o

Actually the amount of hours spent in-game skilling for those levels doesn't equate to hours worked in a job for the cash necessary to buy a nice account. Even at minimum wage I could buy a really nice account in a month of work versus the thousands of hours in-game which could take years.

LOL

• Like 1

Playing a game is more fun than work for most people though, and I could get most skills to 70+ in under a month having a blast playing after work.

Playing a game is more fun than work for most people though, and I could get most skills to 70+ in under a month having a blast playing after work.

Ok, so starting out from nothing to 70+ in most skills playing after work.. in a month? Get out.

Yeah, most skills arent that hard to raise if you know what you're doing, I know I got 90LW in like a month and a half, if that.

If you don't agree, please vote no. It looks like people are voting badly on purpose.

No, they are not voting badly, just not liking another of your bright ideas.

I do not agree at all with you Aether. Basically to do as you say you would have to be doing nothing but grinding day-in and day-out for that month to get a handful of skills to 70 and even then a new player will be overwhelmed with the amount of things that they can do in the game and much of their playtime will be just learning the game. I call shenanigans.

I don't agree simply because of the way wurm works. It's been -encouraged- but NOT ENDORSED by Wurm staff before to have a self sufficent economy, including characters. People sell Wurm silver for actual money, cheaper than buying it from the Wurm store. I believe at one point in an account sale a GM had to get involved for one reason or another, a rare occourance but it shows that they want people to play, regardless of the account used. Now, it it was a rule from the beginning that accounts weren't aloud to be sold then it'd be different. Plus most Wurm players sell their accounts after they are done with the game, or want to start a new one and make some use of the old one. This isn't like runescape where people are able to bot accounts to desired levels, generate money and sell it for profit in a week, probably hundreds of accounts at one. This is Wurm, it's a game that will take you months to get up to 80+ unless focused purely on it.

In short, i don't agree. It helps player to player economy and is done on their OWN risks. Wurm clarifies that this is still -their- property

Taken from the T&C

You have no ownership in the account; this is a service provided by Code Club AB.

You acknowledge and agree that you shall have no ownership or other property interest in the Account and that the account is under the sole ownership of Code Club AB.

So technically they're selling Wurm's account. I could say taht if i REALLY wanted to be a literal legal dude. But yes, it's understood that it's an account that you don't literally own and can be taken at any time so they're free to sell (Techincally) access to it.

What we need is be able to change the name of chars after they are selled ...and to do that, we need to make this 100% legal. But rolf (and devs) have more stuff to do, then this can wait for now.

• Like 1

I don't mind accounts being bought by people that have high level character already. But I don't think new people should have high level characters as new players. For new players you'd be missing the joy of wurm :) like Aether said he sold to a friend he knew Ingame for some time and has a high level character already.

I personally believe that the more MMO Players buy and sell characters, ingame items, and game currency for Real Life money, the more the politicians and bureaucrats of the Governments will seek to regulate and control MMOs to gather revenue through taxation and fees. I have believed (feared) this for YEARS now, and for years now I have held the opinion that no characters, no accounts, no ingame items or "gold" should ever be sold for real life money. The more I play MMOs the more firm this opinion of mine becomes.

So I voted NO. I feel this way about all RMT in all MMOs, whether it's "official" RMT or not. The damn bureaucrats won't see a difference whether Rolf or CCP made money on it... or one of us did. I consider all exchange of accounts, characters, or ingame virtual items in ALL MMOs to be RMT (and that includes Wurm imo).

Edited by Kyrmius

So I voted NO.

If you were opposed you would have wanted to vote yes. Just sayin' in case there was confusion.

If you were opposed you would have wanted to vote yes. Just sayin' in case there was confusion.

shhh
  • Like 1

I have always thought it a bit odd (to use a less offensive word) that players support many suggestions against "dumbing down" Wurm by making the game "easier" and yet support the sales of accounts which bypass all the time and effort required to get to those advanced skill levels. This of course also would contribute to the "pay to win" concept which players seem to abhor and yet is clearly alive and doing well with advanced accounts being available for any to purchase who have the RL money to do so. I guess the saying "money talks" applies in this instance, since the sales of these types of accounts puts money in the sellers pocket, so justifications are created to condone this practice. Also, those who do have the RL money to purchase these accounts are more than willing to do so to get an express paid for ticket to advancement in the game through these high character skill levels that they have purchased.

With this in mind, it has always sort of bugged me that Rolf has decided to openly condone this account sales practice; but since I have always worked up my own characters from the Wurm womb it has caused me little concern, in that I choose to earn my characters skill levels by my own efforts. The only real issue I have with it is the hypocrisy involved in attempts to justify this practice of easy mode pay to win tactics into something other than that. If the sellers and purchasers of these accounts would be more forthcoming in this respect in that the one is selling the account for the money involved and the other is happy to take this shortcut to success within the game, I would at least see them as being more upfront about their motivations. Although I would not have any more respect for their decisions in these account sales, so I suppose it would not benifit them to admit to this pretext anyway.

Now on to the OP's suggestion of making account sales "illegal". After stating the above opinions it may surprise others to hear that I am not "for" this suggestion for several reasons that already been mentioned by others. One being that Rolf will continue to generate income from these purchased accounts after the original owners have abandonded the game. The sales of these accounts takes no money out of Rolf's pockets but rather puts it into them, so in this respect it is positive for the continuation of the game. Then add into that the new account owner will likely purchase a deed which will generate more monthly income for Rolf and it becomes more clear why Rolf is better off to condone account sales rather than make any futile attempts to ban this practice and force it into an underground market, which I have little doubt would happen.

As for my own accounts, I would never even consider selling them simply because I have no desire to turn my hard earned work over to others with the misrepresentation that they are tied to myself still with the years of experience and reputation that I have earned with them within the game world. No one will get the easy ride to ascendancy through my Wurm characters, you can be assured of that, not that "you" may care one way or the other anyway.

To those who choose to go this character sales and purchase route, I would suggest that you at least be honest with yourselves as to the way your are choosing to sell out or buy into these advantages. Now this also brings to my mind the condoned practice of gold and coin sales within Wurm that seem to me to *not* be as benificial to Rolf's pocketbook, so perhaps the OP would like to make another post to open up that can of Wurm worms, eh? Happy trails.

=Ayes=

To those who choose to go this character sales and purchase route, I would suggest that you at least be honest with yourselves as to the way your are choosing to sell out or buy into these advantages. Now this also brings to my mind the condoned practice of gold and coin sales within Wurm that seem to me to *not* be as benificial to Rolf's pocketbook, so perhaps the OP would like to make another post to open up that can of Wurm worms, eh? Happy trails.

It is true, i was more surprised to see the sale of game coin allowed openly than the account sales. Being one who does buy accounts i'll happily admit I do it for the shortcut :P I like the shortcut in crafting skills since i don't have the time to grind them out like some others do.

I don't see a clear cut and dry reason to ALLOW or DISALLOW the sale of characters in the game aside from personal opinions.

I can see reasons why they would want to disallow coin sales though and push you to buy from their online store. Makes complete sense to me, however its another reason I love this game. Should I find a niche I can generate some coin with, I can then turn it into RL money :D. Makes doing things in the game more fun.. at least for me. ---> For example, Real Estate XD I buy and sell TONS of property in the game lol

Too Late now to even think about it any ways with out MAJOR FALLOUT.

I think you make these kind of suggestions just to see your face on the recently posted bar

i dont buy but i dont know, i say let the noobies get a chance at a good character boost if they want to fork over the cash

Making it illegal to sell accounts won't make it so that accounts won't get sold, it will simply create a black market for characters - like in almost every other game in existence. Not really worth it, IMHO, to implement a illegal character market.

82% said no? I think it's pretty obvious what the people who read this post think.

I voted no as well, for reasons that have probably been stated 40 times already in the previous posts I didn't bother reading. This is a terrible idea and wouldn't really solve anything, yet it would definitely create a hell of a lot more strife.

Because clearly games that made selling accounts illegal actually stopped accounts from being sold.

Edited by Object

82% said no? I think it's pretty obvious what the people who read this post think.

I voted no as well, for reasons that have probably been stated 40 times already in the previous posts I didn't bother reading. This is a terrible idea and wouldn't really solve anything, yet it would definitely create a hell of a lot more strife.

Because clearly games that made selling accounts illegal actually stopped accounts from being sold.

Yup, never ever seen a Runescape account for sale, ever.

Why this post keep going on, allmost 90% of the voters says no.

Time to close and get into better ideas?

You are not able to control black market of acc in any game.

Psst, if we don't post on this thread, it falls down the pile, never to be seen again ;D

Can't be enforced. If you make it illegal, it will just move off of the forums and into chat or other sites.