Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Make It Illegal To Sell Accounts

Make it Illegal to Sell Accounts  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be Illegal to Sell Accounts?

• Yes, I've played this game for over a year and I support this.
    • Yes, I've played this game for less than a year and I support this.
    • No, I've played this game for over a year and I don't support this.
    • No, i've played this game for less than a year and I don't support this.
    • I have no opinion.

I know that this suggestion will probably be hated by many people, but I'm just interested in seeing what people think on this in the poll. Please read through this whole post before voting or posting bellow so you know what I am talking about.

I hate seeing new players playing on old maxed out toons. I'm suggesting for it to be against the rules to sell your account to a new player. The reason for is is to allow new players to have a chance at pvp or a chance getting into the pve economy. If old accounts keep being reused, there will eventually be so many high skilled accounts that nothing has any value any more. This problem might not be bad at the moment, but it is only going to get worse over time. In order for the game to be stable, there needs to be a cycle were old maxed out players go away to leave room for new lower-leveled players.

Some people on Freedom don't seem to care about the economy, but there are many people that enjoy trading things. Some people even rely on trading to keep their premium time, deeds, and other things in game. I think it would be unfair to hurt new players that want to get involved in the economy by making it impossible to compete. Its stupid when you have to grind to the max level before you can sell items for a tiny bit of profit. It might not seem that bad at the moment, but it will get worse in the future if the maxed out accounts keep piling up.

The reason I don't think this will be that popular amongst the community is because many of you are involved in the account trade. You all know that when you are done playing this game, you can sell your account to get a little money back. This is a good thing, but it will eventually ruin the game because of the reasons stated above.

A problem with making it illegal to sell accounts is that it would be hard to track which accounts were traded and which were not. An obvious measure that would be put into place would be to make it illegal to talk about account trading on the forums and in game. If someone in game hears that someone else bought an account, they can report it to a GM for an investigation.

EDIT: added more options to poll

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Discriminatory against new players, big fat -1 from me.

Disclaimer: I sold Aetherwalker to an established player who I'd known for a long time, so I'm not biased.

• Like 2

HUGE -1

I used think that way a long time ago, but I think its a unique thing in Wurm and should be allowed.

• Like 1

-1 I got a busy life and if I got the cash and the rite char is forsale ill buy it. This same system is handy for those who are quiting so they can get something back that they put in.

• Like 1

You make it illegal doesn't mean you will stop it, it will just goes to some shady ally and then none of the gms would be able to do anything... than do a ban rampage to the offender, which already losing money.

-1. I dont think it affects the economy in the game as much as you think.

-1 i may not have ever payed for a account or sold one but i do plan on buying one as soon as my girl stops taking my money

If you don't agree, please vote no. It looks like people are voting badly on purpose.

I would only like the sale of accounts to be tied to a thread for each individual account that names the person selling and the person buying. This would cut down on any issues that come up with disputes.

• Like 1

Who thinks this post should be locked if u think it should please Quote my post and add a +1 lol

If you have a problem with the thread then report it... But I can't see it getting locked because it's a valid poll and isn't trolling. It's just meant to see what people think and to open a discussion on the matter. <_<

Edited by Laiwyn
  • Like 1

While I'm not a huge fan of some noob paying 800 bucks for a super account that they barely know how to use, it IS fair. I DO like the concept that everything in Wurm has a real-life value, in the fact that 1 silver is (more or less) worth 1 Euro (or 1.2 dollars for our American friends). I think it is a unique concept not seen in many games, and I do think people should be able to get some (monetary) kickback for the years they've spent playing this game, especially from the players themselves.

It really doesn't impact the economy very negatively, and even under more extreme circumstances I don't believe it ever will. I say -1.

I do wish you couldn't sell accs cause it pisses me off see someone buy an account putting no effort into the game. i wouldn"t sell my account ever it would go down with me if i would plan to quit

I do wish you couldn't sell accs cause it pisses me off see someone buy an account putting no effort into the game. i wouldn"t sell my account ever it would go down with me if i would plan to quit

Same here. No one will ever see this name again in-game if I ever quit.

I'd rather pass on the torch, because taking your account down with you just means all your work has been wasted completely.

• Like 5

I'd rather pass on the torch, because taking your account down with you just means all your work has been wasted completely.

Not really. I would have had my fun. That's all that matters right? It's a game after all.

• Like 1

Not really. I would have had my fun. That's all that matters right? It's a game after all.

Then what do you care if someone sells their account?

Because it essentially becomes pay to win at the point someone can buy a veteran account straight out of the gate and not have to earn the skills required to enter the market or, really, do a lot of things in the game. But the discussion could take a huge detour if we get caught up into the whole market and does it really matter topic so I'll leave it there.

These accounts belong to the player who started them. its theirs to do what they want with it.

This is just a bad idea.

• Like 1

pass it on or not, you cant deniy players the ability to do what they want with there toons

I do love the idea some one with limited time can come along and pay rl cash for time others have spent in development, a core princable in most if not all mmo (give us some cash, here is our time).

Its great to be able to sell accounts - keeps working/limited time players in the game instead of way behind wile they grind skills to play the way they wanted from the get go.