Sign in to follow this  
FlyinBreakfast

Wurm Bees

staring at glowing bugs at night i thought of

Bee house, constructed of wood, nails, maybe tar

needs certain area with flowers (fruit trees?) (3x3, 2x3?) next to it

with flowers/trees aviable, bees survive and produce wax and honey in small amounts

wax for candles, could be used for creating alot of other (new) items, except candles

honey...for cooking, winemaking.

harvesting wax and honey requires skill. maybe let bees do tiny damage, decreasing aggression with skill, increasing wax, honey ql and amount

harvesting uses smoker tool, constructed of wood, using maybe woodscraps +light option to function.

wild bees> source for new breed. when old died maybe?

spawning on fruit trees, close to greater areas with flowers (or other fruit trees)

aggressive im a 3x3 range around nest?

graphics> there must be something not to server loading, to create small swarms...(maybe even swarm of "not sharp" dotts) wandering out of bee house to random close flower or tree tile and back from time to time.

sound> suummm?

• Like 1

hm yea, late night, forgott to check for existing bee suggestions :)

ignore bee spam, when it was brought up to often

have them swarm in some season so u could go out and catch a hive or 2

like it :)

I was planning on making this suggestion myself. My current Landlord keeps bees, and watching him work on them is fascinating, there is a LOT of interesting stuff that goes into keeping bees, and I'm all for adding such features.

A bit of history about Beekeeping, is that it goes back thousands of years, but only recently during the 1700s people started to gain a greater understanding as to how the hives function, and they started designing better beehives. I suggest a combination of the two.

330px-Die_Bienenz%C3%BCchter_%28Bruegel%29.jpg

Some basic points:

1. You should be able to split a hive, by harvesting a queen from an existing one, and there should be diffrent types of queens that give hives diffrent properties, such as faster output, better honey QL, etc.

2. You should be able to sell queens, and move bees just like we do today, by taking reeds and fashioning a queen box for the bees and you can put them in it (One bee per box). The box slowly degrades in QL until it decays completely and the bee inside escapes. The bee also can die inside the box if they run out of health before the box decays putting them in a hive will let them regain their health.

I think they should be able to be sold on merchants.

3. The breeding of queens works just like horses or any other critter and you can see traits on it, although the harvesting, the breeding and everything else that goes into keeping bees works under a NEW Skill: Apiculture (The technical name for Beekeeping) You breed queens by removing the old queen from a built apiary (beehive) and the traits that the old queen bred into that hive are combined with the traits of the new queen, you get a random trait as well sometimes. The sucess of that merger is dependant on your Apiculture skill.

4. When you find a wild hive you use a beebox to move move it. Your chance to harvest the hive sucessfully for queens, nurse bees, workers, etc is determined by your Aquiculture skill, you also get a bonus if you use a smoke device to calm them first. You can also harvest honey from wild hives.

Swarming Mechanics

And yes... when you piss off the bees they should SWARM. Wearing protective clothing is a good idea. Chain and Plate armor shouldn't count. And YES I do completely support behives being used as catapult ammo! :D It would be really nice to have ammo for that thing that can be an anti-personnel weapon. Wheverver it lands it spawns a number of swarms that is determined by the strength of the hive and destroys the beehive as well as killing the queen.

Bees can't be killed using normal weapons but a swam would quickly disappear after dealing a bit of damage, perhaps depending on the traits of the hive. (Heh breeding bee colonies specifically as weapons anyone?) if you spawn a swarm while trying to work with your hives, the strength of the hive reduces with every swarm until it leavs the hive very weak. If a colony gets too weak, it can die off.

Also, if a hive is left alone long enough it will swarm, (Aka the colony will desert it's player built Apiary) Those swarms can drift around for a while until they find a nearby tree and make a new wild beehive or die off. That way, just like horses, if a player abandons his duty to as beekeeper long enough there are penalties.

Spliting a hive (how to make new bee colonies)

You split a hive by removing a queen an putting it a built Apiary along with a few nurse bees and workers. You have a chance at failing at creating this colony, and losing that queen along with the bees you used to seed

When you remove a queen from a hive, and you don't place a new one in there after a few days the hive will make a new one, but unlike breeding you may lose a trait of that colony instead of gaining one.

Maintaining your Hive:

You maintain your hive by doing things to help your bees survive. Since we don't have sugar to feed them I suggest using Jam to make a type of beefeed that you can place around your hive in containers. The bees will fly to it and eat it up. This will only be necessary during the winter. During Spring,Summer and Fall, your bees will collect pollen from flowers around the hives. You can help your bees out that way by placing the Apiary in a large field with tons of flower tiles. Without a way for the bees to feed themselves their strength will quickly fade until they die out or swarm to try and get to a better location than your neglected Apiary.

They also can only gain strength when the Apiary has been planted on the ground. When its being moved it slowly loses strength until you place it again. This keeps you from just storeing colonies in a cart and forgetting about them, or taking too long to move them to a new home.

My own thoughts on how this would affect Wurm:

I think this would be very interesting to see in Wurm, One of the very best things I love about this game is how complex the crafting system is. Beekeeping should be just as complex and rewarding. Harvesting honey, wax, and using extra hives themselves as projectile weapons would be sometime epic and unique I don't think has even been considered in any other game. Closest thing I've seen is the beekeeping in Don't Starve a single player survival game, but that is far from complex.

This would add a very vibrant aspect and something unique a player can specialize in by selling hives/queens, the products they produce though this, and will be rewarding,

Personally I like the off-trades that I learn like crafting Wine, and I think having honey will also be nice to use in making Mead, in the same way you make wine, except you use Honey instead of grapes. Letting people harvest wax from the hives will let them have another way to fashion candles other than animal fat, and can be perhaps used in other ways in the future.

I think this is something that Rolf should definitely look into, as Wurm is special because of all the very unique crafting aspects of it, and having this will do nothing but help that concept.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beekeeping (For those of you who want to see just how big a field this stuff is, its massive and there is a whole sub-culture devoted to it)

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 1

There was a thread about this wasn't there? I think it has since been lost :/

But still a +1 to the idea! It's a great one

+1, I'd like for honey to server as a sugar in cooking.

kinda OT.... So a new food called desert. Its made from 2 parts sugar, 2 parts fruit, 1 part dough.

The Bee Mine in Don't Starve is cool. The sugar idea came from that game too. Although, I do cook for real with honey sometimes (expensive so infrequently).

+1, I'd like for honey to server as a sugar in cooking.

kinda OT.... So a new food called desert. Its made from 2 parts sugar, 2 parts fruit, 1 part dough.

The Bee Mine in Don't Starve is cool. The sugar idea came from that game too. Although, I do cook for real with honey sometimes (expensive so infrequently).

Yea I used that bee mine thing, had a bug where they kept exploding and releasing more bees, soon it was Beemageddoon.

I like the idea of a bee trap would be an interesting idea in in wurm if this is ever implemented.

Edited by Battlepaw

+1.

Unfenced bee houses should be looted by bears occasionally!

• Like 1

+1.

Unfenced bee houses should be looted by bears occasionally!

[03:01:15] Aged lurking brown bear tries to steal some honey!

[03:01:16] You let the arrow fly.

[03:01:17] Your war arrow hits Aged lurking brown bear in the groin of the torso.

[03:01:17] You hit Aged lurking brown bear deadly hard in the groin and damage it.

[03:01:18] <Battlepaw> Nos honey for you! Bad bear!

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can breed hornet nests then catapult them at our enemies!!!!!!!!

+1 from me.

Would be nice to have a more accessable supply of sugar for winemaking.

without bees people couldnt even live, especially at the current era which wurm is on

+1 because it's a necessity :)

honey and bee's wax glues? and variants of that? i think that it might be pretty cool.

It would have to be done logically and with very constrained rules i think as well.

Basket of bees to catapault at people. When it hits you get BEES.

• Like 1

I don't get why you want to resurrect that dead post, go beat another dead horse :D

I'd like to see honey implemented as well, but there is more to bees than just adding a few new items, there is so much potential there its amazing, and I've yet to see any other sandbox MMO with anything like it.

Edited by Battlepaw